War

War

A Chapter by Michael Raymond Robinson

Captain Sebach paced back and forth in front of the low wall overlooking the canyon.  He twisted his head back and forth, breathing in the damp morning air.  A man handed him a clay mug full of hot tea.  He was tired; he did not sleep well throughout the night.  Keeping one eye open, half listening for battle calls, and doubting himself.  What if he was wrong?

He would be made a fool, lose his rank and status.  He really had no idea what the dragon's intentions were, nor Norrelle's.  As far as he knew, the black beast may have flown off to the mountains and hid from all eyes.  As he sipped the tea he pushed those doubts behind him.  No, he thought, the beast wanted something, and Norrelle was part of it.

But what was he looking for as he scanned through the fall's mist at the river below?  What army could the dragon raise?  There was nothing between the falls and Islesen, nothing but mountains.  Sipping his tea again, the doubts started to elevate once more.  Maybe he was wrong, maybe he over reacted.  But what if I am not, he thought.

"Captain Sebach," Darrin heard a yell behind over the roar of the falls.  Turning he watched the Islesen commander march up to him.

"Yes," Darrin said sipping more of his tea.  "What may I do for you Captain Johnson?"

"I've had over one-hundred and fifty men from the militia milling around here by the falls all night based on your orders, and another seventy five waking up this morning to do the same.  Half my active soldiers sat alongside them, and why?  I need an explanation Captain."

"I owe you," Darrin snickered.  "Don't forget who I work for Johnson.  The Royal Order can acquire whatever resources it needs, as deemed necessary."

"Within in reason," Johnson returned.

"I have my reasons.  If you had seen what I saw in Islesen, you would have every citizen along this wall!"

"Well I did not, and I'm not one to leap off a cliff because someone orders me too.  I need facts, scouting reports, something," pausing, "anything.  What do you have?"

"My word!"

"Captain, your word doesn't give me much comfort."

"Well it should.  Now, how are those ballistae coming that I asked for?"

"Men were working throughout the night, another day until they're completed."

"We may not have another day.  The enemy could be marching here around that corner as we speak Captain.  I suggest you push your men harder!"

"I don't think so, Captain.  Islesen has not been at war for over eight years.  And who is going to march up behind us?  If Islesen has been taken over from the sea, maybe, but who?  This makes no sense Captain Sebach.  Just give me---"

Before he could finish Darren heard the warning bells go off from the wooden towers along the east and west walls of the town.  He was about to say something smart to the stubborn officer when a shadow flew over head.  Screams of regular army, militia, and civilians rang out from everywhere as the beast descended low over the wall.  The down blast from its wings sent debris and people alike in all directions.

Dropping below a few buildings in the center of town, out of Darren's site it must have scooped up a few running people.  As it ascended again, he saw three poor souls clutched within its claws.  The dragon turned, flying nearly over his head, releasing them once he cleared the falls.  Darrin tried to shut out the cries as they plummeted several hundred feet to their death.

The black dragon turned back toward the west wall, flying no more than a forty or so feet from the ground.  He was running in that direction, ordering his men to fire, but most stood and watched or fled.  A few shot upward, but the arrows bounced off as if they were striking a stone wall.  Suddenly the realization came to him that this was hopeless.

Without warning, three more dragons flew up from below.  Two of them were massive, one dark blue, the other black.  He recognized this black beast from Norrelle's manor.  A smaller gray one flew ahead of them.  His heart sank, the situation just dropped from hopeless to impossible.  He stopped running and stood there, watching the two larger dragons land between him and the town.

An explosion echoed from the west wall as the smaller black pulverized the wooden palisade, allowing entry to the town by an enemy he has yet to see.  The gray swung off to the east.  Its icy breath shattered the protective wooden wall, offering another breach.  He wanted to do something, anything, but he froze.  Think, damn it, he thought, you're a wizard, and you can do something!  But as he stood there, it was if his well trained mind froze.

Looking behind him, he saw five people dismount the dragons.  As soon as they were off, the dragons lifted majestically into the air.  They were indeed amazing creatures, his mind wondered as he watched them head east over the mountains.  Extraordinary marvels, he thought, such a shame they were the enemy.

Screaming behind him snapped him back to the scene.  In front of him were five people, who rode on the dragons, now walking casually his way.  Were two of them children, he thought, for they were small.  Examining further, he recognized one of the adults, it was Lord Stephen Hardin.  What was he doing here?  What was he doing on the back of a dragon?  Darren started walking in their direction when more screams and the ringing of metal sounded out behind him.  He noticed Stephen was pointing in the same direction.

Stopping and turning, Darrin witnessed the massacre of the militia on the west wall.  An uncountable amount of Lyrumu along with a few half giants, and one or two full giants, flooded through the breach.  He hated the Lyrumu, they were a vile race.  So many different types of them too.  The humans had many names for them, some old, some new.  The creatures called everything from orc to goblin in the human tongue.

Some were wiry and thin, with nearly green leather hides for skin, others large�"around six feet�"and sluggish, with every variety in between.  They were clannish creatures, and a so-called king would then rule several clans, commanding the clan chieftains.  Lyrumu were very warlike, aggressive, and not to be underestimated.  They were crafty sonsofbitches.

Now the giants, they were not hideous, they appeared as a larger version of humans, ranging from ten to twelve feet tall.  They were not as aggressive, but as crafty, and supposedly highly intelligent.  Unfortunately, some crossbred with the Lyrumu, giving birth to hideous creatures dubbed half-giants.  Each looked vile and different, and was shorter, but broader in most cases, standing only eight to ten feet tall.

It was an ugly b*****d of a half-giant that was slowly lumbering his way; the creature was about nine feet in height.  Darrin cleared his mind; dragons were one thing, but these creatures he could fight.  He has not faced many true giants, but Lyrumu and this abomination coming toward him, yes.  Reaching into his pouch he retrieved a small wand.

Pointing at the half-giant he uttered a few words and the arcane energy flew forth, crackling.  The blue bolt of lightning struck the creature; he exploded on impact, sending body parts everywhere.  Grinning to himself at his success he reached into his pouch again, grabbing a bag of powder as a horde of Lyrumu charged toward him.

He tossed the open bag into the air, its contents flew out as he again spoke the words of power.  The powder swirled higher into the sky, and then suddenly a rain of fire fell to the ground.  It ignited everything it touched, causing the advancing group to stop as each of them erupted into flame.  The creatures screamed and writhed as the flames quickly burned through their armor, then hide, and finally bone.

He was laughing when he felt a twinge in his back.  Coughing slightly he looked down to see a large sword blade penetrating his upper abdomen.  As quick as it slid into him, it slid back out.  Clutching the open wound he slowly turned to face his attacker.  His knees were buckling; it took all that was left to remain standing.  Nearly collapsing as he shifted himself around, he saw a large warrior in dark heavy metal armor holding a large bloody sword.

The two children were standing beside the attacker, watching intensely.  Hardin was also there, his arms folded across his chest.  Darren looked at him inquisitively, waiting for an answer, but Hardin only chuckled.  Studying the blood, his blood, in his hands he again looked at Stephen, still thinking why?  How did he not see this coming?  Norrelle was right; he was literally nobody in a larger, much larger game.  A game he knew he lost.

The dark skin elfin woman next to Hardin stepped closer.  He saw a flash of metal, did not really see where it came from.  However, he felt the cold iron tip of a dagger penetrate the soft fleshy part under his chin.  He was staring into her eyes, beautiful eyes, as she forced the dagger upward.  There was no pain, everything went dark.

* * *

The bridge was gone.  Bodies lined the rocky shores on both side of the small channel between the mainland and Islesen.  Jason stood there, examining the damage.  Another beautiful wonder built by Nalin's family, destroyed in an instant.  Looking further, across the channel, he could see damage all along Main Street.  He imagined that the main wall and gate were in similar condition, gone, or at least partially.  Leaving the mainland portion of the city vulnerable, and preventing the city proper ease of sending reinforcements.

"I've ordered the men to construct a ferry service temporarily," Richmond said, as if reading his thoughts.

"My men are gathering the necessary men and equipment now," General Richard Seveil replied.

"King Richmond," Nalin spoke.  "I've sent men back home to get military and construction assistance.  They should be here by nightfall.  We'll get this bridge rebuilt."

"Thank you Lord Nalin," Richmond said, still looking outward, northward.

"Also," Nalin went on, "our home is your home.  Our city should be safe for the time being, should you want to offer refuge to anyone interested.  Save as many civilians as possible."

"Thank you again, Nalin," Sebastian replied, "General Seveil, will you get the word out on Nalin's offer to the general public?  Get Elizabeth also, tell her to get my wife and Tanner ready to make that trip."

"Yes my liege," Seveil nodded.

"Jason," Fiona touched his shoulder, "Lillian?"

"Yes," Jason agreed.  Turning to Sebastian Richmond, "King Sir, can Lillian accompany Elizabeth?"

"By all means, she will be more than welcome.  Worry not Fiona, she'll be in excellent hands."

"Yes," Nalin said, "I'll send two of my best men with them.  They will be safe."

"Thank you," Fiona said, and then wrapped her arm around Jason as they looked across the channel.  Hesitantly he lifted his and placed it on her shoulder.  He was unsure how to feel.  Part of him felt comfortable holding her close, yet another wanted to distance himself.  He knew he was falling for her again, and part of him wanted to.  But as he stood here and viewed the destruction before him, he wondered what the future held.

Jason had grown accustom to loss, but that did not mean he should keep putting himself into situations where it would happen again.  Losing Cat was hard enough, but now he found Fiona, a woman he did love and lost years ago.  Could he handle losing her again?  Should he distance himself to prevent the pain should he lose her?  Then again, must he place his life on hold because the world around him is in turmoil and war?

Yes, the risk of losing her was indeed high.  With the war dawning there would be many of battles, dozens of chances that she could fall, he too for that matter.  So in a sense Fiona could lose him too, again.  She apparently was willing to risk it, so why shouldn't he?  Was he ready to fall back in love?

Squeezing him a little harder, as if feeling his concerns and comforting him, she relaxed her head against him.  Yes he was ready.  "How's your side," he asked.

"Painful, yet a little itchy," she answered looking up at him.  "I think Connacht’s elfin paste is working."

"Lady Fiona," Nalin approached her.

She pulled herself away from him, leaving him feel slightly vulnerable.  Was he sure he was ready?  At times he really hated to 'need' somebody, it left him feel weak.  But this was somehow different.  Was it more of a 'want' than a 'need'?  The only way to figure it all out was to let things go naturally.

"Yes," she said to Nalin.

Lifting up Gimdur's sword he spoke, "Fiona, you used this blade in battle yesterday.  It is a good blade, a strong blade, made by my family, past down from one to another.  Gimdur has no family, so I pass this blade to you.  It will definitely aide in your fight against the dragons.  I have just one request."

Grabbing a hold of the blade as he still held she looked almost teary-eyed.  "I would be honored to use such a weapon.  What is your request?"

"Don't throw it this time," Nalin said with a laugh, and then he looked at her sternly.  "I mean it."

Smiling she took the blade and its sheath from him and bowed.  "You have my word."

Taking the sword and scabbard, she slid it into the right side of her belt, it sat awkward, but Jason knew that was temporary.  Adjusting her belt to the added weight, she smiled at him.  "Ready," she asked.

"Yep," Jason replied.  "Let's go find Norrelle and see how they are coming at the tower."

She slapped him on the back, "Nice outfit."

"Thanks," he said.  "A gift from Nalin."

"Dulled black chain tunic looks good on you," she smiled as she walked toward her horse.  Turning to him, "It matches that hat."  She ran her hands down her side, "here I am in bright metallic."

"In time," Nalin said, "I'll see if I can find a tunic your size Lady."  He chuckled then moved toward the horses.

"King Richmond," a soldier riding up yelled.  "Norrelle wishes you to see her at the ruins of the tower.  She's got good news."

"Just mounting up to head there," Richmond replied.  "They found a portal?"

"Yes," the rider answered.  "And the Zephyr just came into port!"

"Great," Fiona said as she mounted her horse, "seems we're getting a bit of luck coming our way now!"

* * *

Norrelle watched them as they slowly uncovered the small portal to the realm of shadow.  Shae and Connacht were directing the soldiers' process; no one knew how fragile the portal may or may not be.  So they were taking no chances as they removed the debris.  Yassir stood next her, seemingly almost excited about the venture.  More than likely, it was due to the fact he was getting a rare chance to use magic that was over thousands of years old.

Portal magic such as this was forbidden by the gods thousands of years ago.  No one knew why it was so, but most of the knowledge was locked deep in the bowls of Dra'che'aeq.  Actually most of it was.  After the war, the original Dra'che'aeq had several breeches, allowing some excavation.  A few catacombs were discovered, but no one could go to deep.  The way was sealed, a key was needed to enter, a key that she now held two parts to.

"Lady Norrelle," a voice spoke to her from behind.  Turning she saw Collin Brevor slowly saunter up to her.

"Colin," she acknowledged.

"I suppose I owe you a debt," he said coming to a stop beside her.

"No," she replied, "maybe a smidgen of loyalty."

"Right," he said, looking at the tower, "quite a night huh."

"Quite a day," she corrected.

"I heard about Erinwolfe.  He was a good man.  Turns out he was right in the end and I was wrong.  I damn near threw everything away."  Colin kicked at the debris around him.  "Damn, I'm going to miss that large oaf."

"We all are Colin," Norrelle said putting her hand on his shoulder.  "But you have a chance to ensure his death was not in vain."

"Katanaga I've been told," he said looking at her.

"Yes, we need you to alert them and see what you can do to stop the Dyginian Elves."

"And the Royal Council, shouldn't they be involved?"

"Let's just say, they'd support you in crushing the Dyginian Elves and drive them back into the jungle, but they may not approve of what I'm planning on doing."

Colin laughed, crossing his arms.  "And just what is that?"

"Restore the old order, as it was long before Clinox brought it down."

"I thought so," he smiled.  "While really I didn't but I appreciate the honesty.  What will I be up against?"

"You'll need to convince them to hold back several thousand elves and a dragon," she said, seriously.  "Then hold up until I need you to move north."

"A dragon?  The same one from last week?"

"No, another."

"And how am I suppose to stop a dragon," Colin said.

"I'm working on it," she lied.  She had no idea how he was going to handle that dragon.  Norrelle hated sending him off without some form of plan, but she had none to offer.  Maybe he was right and could get some assistance from the Royal Order stationed there.  Was she being to rash in all this?

No, now was not the time to second guess herself.  Smiling she reached out and touched his shoulder.  "I'll find a way," she said.

"Right," he answered, "I'll improvise.  I prefer it that way actually.  How am I getting there?"

"Well I was hoping one of my ships would have made it back, but they haven't, but the Zephyr is."

"Cat's ship," he said.  "Heard it's a helluva ship."

"So have I," she replied.  "I've asked the new captain to meet us here."

"Timothy Callow," Colin surely knew the man.  Norrelle knew that Colin has been doing business with Cat for years.  The two of them should have an easy trip.

"Yes," she answered.  "Unfortunately, I have to tell him about Cat."

"We're ready here," Connacht yelled to her as he walked up to them while dusting himself off.  "We've cleared as much as we could and everything looks intact."

"How you feeling," Norrelle asked.

"In pain, but I've got a good supply of Yeqwyth Root Paste.  As long as we have a quiet week, I should be ready by the time we reach Yassir's home."

"You're expecting a quiet week," Shae laughed.  "We'll see."

Yassir was now standing next her unrolling the scroll.  "Alright," he said, "Let's begin."

"I think you should wait for the others," Norrelle stopped him.  "We don't know what's on the other side."

"You think it maybe a trap then," Yassir asked.  "I do not anticipate such."

"You may not," Norrelle came back, "But I wish to stray on the side of caution.  Let's not jump in blindly shall we."

"Yes my lady," he sounded annoyed as he lowered the now unrolled scroll and stared at the portal in front of them.

Norrelle was grinning from her success when she heard the horses approach from behind her.  Well, he did not have to wait that long, she thought as she listened to Jason and Fiona talk idly as they dismounted and walked up to her.  At the same time Yassir lifted the scroll back up to reading level and gave her a victory grin.

"We are ready now," he said to her.  "Our audience is present."  Looking at her he added, "May I begin milady?"

Looking at the magical gate that sat in front of her she sighed.  Norrelle truly hoped that Rygerri did not set a trap for them through that arcane door.  She took a deep breath and nodded.  Yassir began before her nod was complete.  Reaching behind her, she loosened the tie on her dress.  She wanted to be able to strip it off quickly should she needed to transform.  She also undid her sword belt and let it drop beside her, holding the hilt, the scabbard slid off easily as she pulled up the sword.

Within moments after Yassir started reading the scroll in the ancient draconic language dark thick black clouds swirled violently above them.  Arcs of purple and black lightning flashed amongst ominous clouds and then raced toward the ground striking the door to the plane of shadow.



© 2010 Michael Raymond Robinson


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

305 Views
1 Review
Added on July 19, 2010
Last Updated on July 19, 2010


Author

Michael Raymond Robinson
Michael Raymond Robinson

Robinson, PA



About
I'm returning to the Cafe. I look forward to reading and talking with ya'll within these cyberwalls. I am a lover of fantasy, science fiction, and supernatural thrillers. I was influenced at a yo.. more..

Writing