JASMINE

JASMINE

A Story by Marie
"

I've posted this before, but it desrves to be posted again. There are some who haven't got to read it.

"

     “I’m going to take Jasmine away from you,” Ed announced, with all the confidence of youth. “You don’t deserve her.”

 

     “Nobody does,” Charles growled. “But I deserve her more than you. Young whippersnapper!”

 

     Ed turned and hobbled away, leaning heavily on his cane. Charles watched him go, through baleful eyes. Yes, Ed was only eighty to Charles’ ninety-three. But Jasmine needed a man with maturity and experience, not some young punk.

 

     Jasmine had been a girl of seventy when she first came to Eastwood Village Retirement Center. Charles had been attracted to her right from the beginning, but was conscious of the seventeen-year age gap between them. It hadn’t mattered to Jasmine, however, and soon they were an established couple. It was taken for granted that they would sit together in the cafeteria, partner each other at dances, pair off at bingo, canasta, different Senior day excursions. It had been five years of happiness. Then comes Ed with his goatee and his fancy cane, thinking he could waltz right in and take what he pleased. Well, he’d find out…

 

     Charles wheeled himself into the lounge. Soon Jasmine joined him, knitting in hand. He always marveled that her swollen, arthritic fingers, could so nimbly ply the needles. They sat in companionable silence for a while; then Charles asked abruptly “What do you think of that new resident? Ed.”

 

     Jasmine looked at him in surprise. “Why…I don’t know. He seems all right.”

 

     “Well, watch out for him.”

 

     “What do you mean? Why should I watch out for Ed?”

 

     “He’s got some notions I don’t like.” Charles brooded for a moment. “He needs to understand that you belong to me.”

 

     Jasmine dropped her knitting. “I what?”

 

     “Everyone knows--”

 

     “I don’t know it. I’m my own person. I divorced one husband and buried two others, and now I don’t belong to anybody but myself. That’s something you need to understand.” Jasmine gripped her walker, pulled herself up and left the room.

 

     Charles watched her shuffle away, his dream dying. He realized that what she said about being her own person… not belonging to anybody… was nonsense. The worst had happened. Youth called to youth, and Jasmine had moved on. Ed had made good on his threat.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

 

     Late that night Charles sat alone with his memories…

 

     Moonlight glinting off Jasmine’s silver hair as they sat together, looking up at the stars…

 

     Meeting in the cafeteria before anyone was up to have coffee and talk about the day ahead…

 

     Watching late-night  TV in the lounge…repeating the lines of old movies…his favorite was Dirty Harry’s “Make my day!”…Jasmine’s was “Love means never having to say you’re sorry.” They were in perfect agreement that “Casablanca” was the greatest movie ever made. Jasmine cried on his shoulder each time they saw Rick and Ilsa part. And they always recited the last line in unison: “Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.”

 

     Charles lifted his can of Ensure in a silent, good-by toast. “Here’s looking at you, Kid.”

 

    Then a hand fell on his shoulder…a soft cheek brushed his…and Jasmine’s sweet, husky voice whispered “We’ll always have Paris

© 2015 Marie


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh the romance of it all as only the older generation can do well, a nice story to accompany a nice cool drink. Thanks for sharing Marie.
Will

Posted 9 Years Ago


Marie

9 Years Ago

Thanks WIll. It's always been a faforite of mine.
A classic plot with a wonderful spin to it. Well done.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Marie

9 Years Ago

Thank you.
I think I've read this one before, but still a pleasure to read again. See, it proves how good you are when even me, with my terrible memory can remember your stories from so long ago.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Marie

9 Years Ago

THanks, Steve. Both "Jasmine" and "It's all Relative" have been published. I usually don't post work.. read more
This is beautiful Marie. Im really pleased that you decided to let this delight out again. I was beginning to really despair for Chuck sitting on his Jack Jones but when Jazz's hand touched him (I have to say I thought it was God calling him at first..) - well my old romantic spirit went from 1 to 10 like someone had turned the control on my hearts thermostat wayyy up.
Its gorgeous Marie. Truly...

Posted 9 Years Ago


Marie

9 Years Ago

Well, thank you. I'm not a romantic, though my daughter says Jasmin is really me. That's not true.
ANTO

9 Years Ago

Daughters never tell their mum's fibs Marie ! or should I say, Jazz. ;)
Hi Marie, I like this story and especially the subject--not often that seniors are featured in a romantic tale. I also enjoyed the humor and poignancy of contrasting youth and age. It's all perspective, isn't it? In the beginning of part 2 , Charles is sitting alone and in the next sentence, he's next to Jasmine. Also, in the first sentence, it's night and two sentences later, they're in t.he cafeteria very early in the morning. Are these issues--maybe not, but they seem to be to me. I really like your use of dialogue from the movies. The story held my interest throughout and I enjoyed it. I will look at another of your stories. Should you be so inclined, I'd appreciate your review of one of my other stories.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Marie

9 Years Ago

Thanks. THe reason for the time changes is that Charles is thinking...I probably w=should have made .. read more
Love always finds a way to break through any obstacle before it...though in some cases, it may take a little time !

A fine romantic tale, penned with endearing quality, adding to the overall enjoyment of the story!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Marie

9 Years Ago

Thank you.
Looks like maturity won out.
What a lovely story!
Made me want to sit and have pre-dawn coffee with this charming vintage couple.
Another outstanding post, Marie!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Marie

9 Years Ago

Thank you. Jasmine really loved Charles all along; she just didn't want to be tied down.
I've never read this one. must be an old one. you're never too old to fall in love, eh? I like this.
endearing characters and a smooth narration. I also like the movie quotes, though I'm terrible at remembering them.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Marie

9 Years Ago

THanks. You really have to be the right generation to understand the movie references.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

388 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 13, 2015
Last Updated on March 13, 2015
Tags: Jasmine, walker, Ed, cane

Author

Marie
Marie

San Antonio, TX



About
I have been writing for almost 60 years. Writers' Cafe is the best writing site I've found. If you send me read requests, expect me to be blunt. I don't like poor grammar, misspelled words or mistake.. more..

Writing
THE HANGING THE HANGING

A Story by Marie


TO G.H. TO G.H.

A Poem by Marie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..