O'CONNOR'S BANSHEE

O'CONNOR'S BANSHEE

A Story by Marie
"

Sort of a St. Patrick's Day story.

"

 

      “What do you want?” Erin O’Connor asked the strange woman

 

     “Only to be your friend.”

 

     Her voice and smile were sweet, but by her long red hair and pale skin, Erin knew her to be a Banshee. “Go away! You bring death.”

 

     “Banshees don’t bring death, only tell of it. Besides, I bring you a gift.”

 

     “I don’t want it.”

 

     But the woman went on. “You are now a fine musician. I will make you a great one.” Erin tried to refuse again, but the Banshee vanished, saying “You should be honored. We visit few families. O’Connor is one.” Erin did not want such honor, but it was too late.

 

      Erin  played piano with a small combo. He had never felt such power in his fingers as he did that night. Customers stood, applauding. In a few months he left the combo to join a prestigious orchestra, then began giving concerts. He became famous. The Banshee visited occasionally, always assuring him “Not yet…not yet…”

 

     Erin O’Connor was eighty-four when he walked out on stage to thunderous applause. In one of the front seats he saw a pale, red-haired woman. He was no longer afraid of her. “Ladies and gentlemen,” he said, “instead of commencing with “Dance of the Stars,” as I usually do, I will play instead “Funeral March of the O’Connor’s.”

 

     His first few notes were interrupted by a wailing scream. “Funeral March of the O’Connor’s” was never played again, for the music vanished as Erin O’Connor died.

© 2015 Marie


Author's Note

Marie
The Banshee takes many forms; I have used the traditional red hair and pale skin for this one. The banshee appears only to select families and is said to bestow artistic gifts. The banshee does not cause death, but does predict it, and when her peculiar scream is heard, someone is about to die.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh, such an interesting story for St. Patrick's Day and with an ending to be remembered! Poor Erin O'Connor was given a gift he did not want and "played" it until his death! The Banshee was present to hear his final note.
I love this!!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Marie

9 Years Ago

Thank you.
very interesting. so that's what a banshee is? this is amazingly short and yet it tells a long story, I feel. jeez, I wish I had your knack.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Marie

9 Years Ago

You do have the knack, but I fear you don't take it seriously...
I enjoyed the story.
“Banshees don’t bring death, only tell of it. Besides, I bring you a gift.”
I like the set-up and the storyline. I like the Irish tales on the day of St Patrick's day. A surprise ending to a outstanding story.
Coyote


Posted 9 Years Ago


Marie

9 Years Ago

Thank you.
Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

You are welcome.
I want you Marie - I want you right this minute - to sit round my fireplace and tell me more of these.
This is brilliant.
Banshees were ever present in my youth - up until about the 1980's we still believed in them and saw them in every wisp of illuminated smoke from a chimney pot or from a white plastic carrying bag that the night wind had procured as a plaything.
This gave me - what my U.S friends might call - 'the willies'.
Truly outstanding telling of an outstanding tale. Maith thu mo chara - maith thu!!
(you're good my friend - you're good)
:)

Posted 9 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
ANTO

9 Years Ago

Well you won a place in my heart with this Marie - always - thank you for this.

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

929 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on March 17, 2015
Last Updated on March 17, 2015
Tags: o'connor, banshee, musician, march

Author

Marie
Marie

San Antonio, TX



About
I have been writing for almost 60 years. Writers' Cafe is the best writing site I've found. If you send me read requests, expect me to be blunt. I don't like poor grammar, misspelled words or mistake.. more..

Writing
THE HANGING THE HANGING

A Story by Marie


TO G.H. TO G.H.

A Poem by Marie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Lovesick Lovesick

A Story by Philip Muls


Waves Waves

A Poem by MelissaAndres


Scumbag Scumbag

A Poem by s y e