SIGHT

SIGHT

A Story by Marie
"

Sight does not always seem like a blessing...

"


 


     Noel held her breath as Dr. Gomez snipped the final bandage from her eyes. Noel had been born blind, but she had been assured that this operation would give her sight. She’d been looking forward to this day for months.


 


     But when Noel opened her eyes, she screamed and immediately closed them again. Everything she saw was horror. People were monsters. She didn’t understand how they could balance on these spindly poles of legs, and she refused to even try to walk. Her dark world was much better, and she wanted to stay in it.


 


     Gradually she was led to realize that people weren’t monsters, that her legs would support her. She was able to walk. She was able to accept her surroundings without being terrified. And Dr. Gomez  released her from the hospital.


 


     At home Noel stayed most of the time in her bedroom, where it was safe. She did go into other parts of the house, but steadfastly she refused to go outside. The world was too big. She would get lost in its vastness. Noel wanted walls. Dependable walls.


 


     Noel’s parents coaxed her to go outside. Her best friend, Ginny, pleaded with her to take “just a short walk.” The minister told her that God had made the world for everyone, and that she should enjoy His creation. But Noel clung desperately to the only security she knew in this strange place of sight.


 


     Then Jason came to see her. Jason was Noel’s favorite nephew. In fact, he was her only nephew. She hated to refuse his request that she come outside and look at something. “Can’t you bring it in here?” she asked.


 


     “No. It’s in a tree.”


 


     The last thing Noel wanted to do was go outside and look at something in a tree (trees were big, ugly things that could fall and smash you at any moment). But at last she gave in to her nephew’s urging and went with him, quite reluctantly, to the tree. Jason went up and touched a leaf. “Come here and look at this.”


 


     Noel shrugged. “It’s only a leaf.”


 


    “Look underneath.”


 


     Noel peered closely and saw a whitish green growth. She stepped back hastily when it started to move. “Is it dangerous? Will it sting or bite?”


 


     “No,” Jason assured her. “It’s a butterfly. It’s been in that cocoon, blind and alone, all winter. Now it wants out.” Noel saw a tiny creature with wings emerging. Jason put out his hand, and it clutched his finger. “I’ll bet you’re glad to be free,” he said softly. Then he gently put it back on the leaf. It needs time to dry its wings.”


 


     Noel watched this living jewel for almost an hour, too fascinated to be afraid. Then the butterfly spread its wings, flapped them slowly, and soared away. Noel’s heart went with it. She finally realized that the earth is not a vast wasteland, with danger all around, but the Lord’s work, held securely in the palm of His hand. Hello world! she called out silently. And all of God’s beauty answered her.


© 2015 Marie


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Noel and the butterfly, both spreading their wings to venture forth into the world. A great lesson, here, and a tale worth a second read.

Posted 3 Years Ago


A very enjoyable little story with a moral gives hope and light to the heart ...

Posted 8 Years Ago


Beautiful, simple and poignant.

Posted 8 Years Ago


this is wonderful! such a light read!

Posted 8 Years Ago


This is great. it's an interesting take on someone seeing for the first time, I like how Noel was afraid in the beginning instead of excited about all of the things she could see. I also like how the butterfly coming out of the darkness was similar to her situation and helped her to realise that there is beauty in the world. very well done.

Posted 8 Years Ago


An excellent story, Marie. Much like a parable, I'd say. In this case, allowing nature to reveal a very applicable metamorphosis. Going from darkness to light could have several meanings, actually. I find this sentence a bit ambiguous--"But Noel clung desperately to the only security she knew in this strange place of sight."


Posted 8 Years Ago


Marie

8 Years Ago

Noel clung desperately to four walls because she felt secure in them. It could be read as a little a.. read more
my word this has a voice, something to say, and a well thought out rhythm. every writer on here strives for originality, and this is that. oiginal, well written, provocative without being salacious. well done

Posted 8 Years Ago


Marie

8 Years Ago

THank you. But I don't know how original this really is.
Great story.
The metaphor of butterfly with human gives a wonderful feeling.
Thank you for sharing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Marie

8 Years Ago

Thank you Zainul. You understood my metaphore very well.
zainul

8 Years Ago

You are most welcome,lovely writer.
This is inspiring.
In the first paragraph, you wrote that "she'd been looking forward to" the day she'd get her sight "for months". "looking forward to" is a bit bland. She must have had an interesting mixture of emotions.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Marie

8 Years Ago

You're right--the sentence is bland. Maybe she should have been more enthusiastic.
I like this little story. The world at times seems like a scary place and we often feel afraid in facing it, but the outside world is a joyous place especially when we take time with God and His creation. I like how you ended the story. "She finally realized that the earth is not a vast wasteland, with danger all around, but the Lord's work, held securely in the palm of His hand." This is my favorite line.

Good Job

Posted 8 Years Ago


Marie

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much.
~*~Peace Keeper~*~

8 Years Ago

^^ You're welcome

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

999 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on August 7, 2015
Last Updated on August 7, 2015
Tags: sight, blind, bandages, butterfly

Author

Marie
Marie

San Antonio, TX



About
I have been writing for almost 60 years. Writers' Cafe is the best writing site I've found. If you send me read requests, expect me to be blunt. I don't like poor grammar, misspelled words or mistake.. more..

Writing
THE HANGING THE HANGING

A Story by Marie


TO G.H. TO G.H.

A Poem by Marie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..