Lightning

Lightning

A Story by Roch Ketchum

You know whenever I see you, whether it is in person or through digital media, I feel this overwhelming surge of emotions all over again. Thousands of pictures flash across my mind as your voice echoes in the void. It's exhilarating and exotic, sweet and and heavenly. But it's also scary. I can feel the panic attack coming as my heartbeat races faster and faster. Because there you are before me, carrying all the beauty this world has to offer, in your eyes, and all the enigma there is, in your soul.You are not some Prada model or Gucci stylist, but the way you tie those hair behind in a ponytail and the way you carry that smile on those soft lips of yours is prettier than anything ever can be.

I feel panicked because I want to treasure this moment, while you are still with me in the best way I can and I feel I can't do enough.I never did. I never will.Because I know tomorrow won't be the same.

Tomorrow perhaps, you won't be there.

And suddenly there is not enough air in the room to breathe and I can feel the moisture in my eyes threatening to give away my facade.On one hand, it is a bliss to see you but on the other it scares me to death that this moment won't last. That the hands on the clock will keep on ticking forward and all this will just become a memory in the past.

But it's important for me. Because the warm glow which fills me with the sensation of love when I see you is something I want to feel every second of my life.

It is the fire burning my soul, but it is also the fire keeping me alive.

So when you are gone, when the moment ends, my hands frantically search for my diary and pen to pour my heart out. Words fall short as I struggle to keep the previous few moments with you, alive on this piece of paper.

And sometimes, when everything fails, I just run because words alone couldn't calm the throbbing pain in my heart.

I run as hard as I can, as fast as I can.

I run till my mind is numb to that constant ache in my heels or my lungs give away.

And then I stop.

I just stop and stand there in the darkness. 

And in the flicker of moment, when my world descends into oblivion,

you wake up to life.

© 2017 Roch Ketchum


Author's Note

Roch Ketchum
Do comment your views on this piece. It'll be very much appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is fantastic! One tip though. Just at the beginning, it's usually more effective to try and show the reader what the subject is feeling rather than saying it. For example, when the main character says they can feel the panic attack coming, and you go on to describe their heart beating. It would be equally if not more effective to stick with just the heartbeat and perhaps continue the description of ensuing panic. Great story overall!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Roch Ketchum

6 Years Ago

Thanks a lot. I will surely work on the things you have pointed out.



Reviews

This is fantastic! One tip though. Just at the beginning, it's usually more effective to try and show the reader what the subject is feeling rather than saying it. For example, when the main character says they can feel the panic attack coming, and you go on to describe their heart beating. It would be equally if not more effective to stick with just the heartbeat and perhaps continue the description of ensuing panic. Great story overall!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Roch Ketchum

6 Years Ago

Thanks a lot. I will surely work on the things you have pointed out.
The first paragraph was so positive but then when you get to the next it gets darker and sadder. While I kept on reading my rhythm of reading pick up because of the words and to me the tone. I actually think that is wonderful.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Splendid.
I read it twice to get in fixed well in my mind..
beautiful words

Posted 6 Years Ago


I liked this story a lot.
"I feel panicked because I want to treasure this moment, while you are still with me in the best way I can and I feel I can't do enough.I never did. I never will.Because I know tomorrow won't be the same."
I like and I agree with the above lines. Life move too fast. I wish I had reverse for the good days. Thank you Roch for sharing the amazing story.
Coyote

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Roch Ketchum

6 Years Ago

Thanks for sharing your valuable views :)
Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

I enjoyed this poem and you are welcome my friend.
Absolutely breath taking! Astonishing. Imagination sparks into my mind like an electric spark with so many meanings. Your use of words, being cold, sinking into darkness with a person, it's as if happiness has been stolen away from you. Great. No, not great, spectacular use of emotive language.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

When we are with the person we like we really feel happy to be with them and also sad wishing that moment to last forever. You have beautifully described every emotion. I really liked it.

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

228 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 26, 2017
Last Updated on May 26, 2017
Tags: short story, microtale, lightning, love

Author

Roch Ketchum
Roch Ketchum

Bengaluru, India



About
An aspiring writer more..

Writing
3 am 3 am

A Story by Roch Ketchum


Perfect Perfect

A Poem by Roch Ketchum



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The End The End

A Poem by Giulia King