PART 6 ETERNAL SECURITY

PART 6 ETERNAL SECURITY

A Chapter by rondo
"

Can a believer lose the Holy Spirit, and thus eternal life? - Section 2

"

�-�Can A Believer In Christ Lose Their Salvation? �" Section 2

 …You Decide

CHAPTER 11

Can A Believer In Christ Lose Their Salvation? �" Scripture Section 2

By reading the following sections of scripture relating to this topic you will have become that much more informed on this subject.

Some might ask, “Why are we looking at this doctrine at all? Let’s just enjoy God’s presence and the gifts of the Spirit.” I would respond by saying that while we should do that, there are times when doctrinal topics need to be taught as well. In my 20-plus years of studying and teaching the Word, I have found that born-again believers have very succinct views on various biblical topics; their beliefs of which are largely dependent upon the teachings of the church they have or are attending. Many churches consider their particular doctrinal platform as being the absolute and final word on any topic. Any deviation by a church member could be considered apostasy from the faith.  If you don’t agree with every perspective, then you could be considered as being off or wrong.

There seems to be, at best, very minimal if any attempt to engage in open dialogue regarding doctrine, and tolerance of those with an opposing view is, in some if not most cases, non-existent. The idea behind engaging in this dialogue is the realization that many believers do not necessarily agree with every doctrinal view they’ve been taught at church, and a dialogue can provide an opportunity to exchange conflicting thoughts. This might not change the doctrinal platform of the church itself, but hopefully will provide support for those who have a different belief system. Can we agree to disagree?

       Before we proceed I would like to tell you a story. In the early years of my Christian walk I was involved with a church that had a worldwide ministry. There were not only many affiliate branch ministries located throughout the USA, but there were also many missionary teams stationed around the world. At this time I was working on staff in a Christian day school for an affiliate branch ministry which was located in New England. One of the doctrines, which was espoused, was that a Christian should not drink alcohol for any reason. I never quite understood where this view came from although it seemed that whenever it was brought forth a verse would be taken from the Old Testament in order to justify the prohibition.

       One evening after worship service the head pastor and the assistant pastors went out to dinner. Apparently some of the church members got together and decided they would also go out to dinner at the same restaurant. When they arrived a hostess guided them to a table. While on their way they passed by the pastors who were eating and uh hum drinking alcohol. The church members didn’t say anything about the alcohol, but said hello and went on their way. On the following day, it seemed like everyone who was a member of this branch ministry found out about this. When I heard about it from many sources I had to admit I was quite surprised. On the one hand the members were told that alcohol consumption was off limits and on the other hand those who were presenting this prohibition didn’t abide by it.

       As time went on I understood that the president of the ministry whose headquarters was located in a different state was a non-dispensationalist meaning that a verse or verses could be taken from anywhere in the bible in order to justify a doctrinal view. Another thing that I realized was, if you were the pastor of an affiliate branch ministry it appeared that you had to teach on doctrinal views that lined up with the president’s view even if your own perspective on a topic differed. I have heard of many stories where a pastor from a branch ministry had a different view on a biblical topic and decided to teach as such from the pulpit. Soon word got back to the president of the ministry and this usually resulted in some kind of conversation with this pastor either by phone or in person in regards to this change of view. In some cases depending on the doctrine in question a pastor might be asked to leave the ministry, if they didn’t change their mind.

       With that said while there will always be doctrinal differences shouldn’t our focus be on growing in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ? Shouldn’t we be learning about who are as new creations in Christ, developing His mind concerning every aspect of our life? For example, if I have a problem with jealousy, what is God’s mind concerning jealousy? Or, if I have a problem with adultery, what is God’s mind concerning adultery? Learn God’s word, appropriate it, meditate upon it; and you will begin to experience the fruit of the Holy Spirit on a more consistent basis in your life.

Enjoy the content, the verses, and the analysis provided in response to the question at hand, Can a believer lose their salvation?

The Miracle Of The 5000:  “many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him”

Suggested Reading: John 6:1-66

The miracle of feeding 5000 people with five loaves and two small fishes had just occurred. Following this Jesus went to Capernaum where he was asked for a sign that many thought if he provided would cause them to believe in Him. He responded to them by saying that the manna given by his Father to their ancestors was a type of the genuine manna, referring to Himself, who had come down from heaven, and was also given by his Father. He stated further that any, who came and believed in Him, would never hunger or thirst, which caused the Jews to murmur against Him; because they reasoned how could he be both the bread of life that came from heaven and yet be born on earth as Joseph’s son?

The final straw came when Jesus said that their fathers or ancestors ate bread in the wilderness and died physically, but whoever eats of the bread that He gives (his flesh) would live forever spiritually. He followed this up by saying, “Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.” In other words,they would obtain these blessings which are available only through Him. 

Upon hearing this, even many of His disciples chose not to follow Him any longer because it appeared that they took what He said literally. However, what He was saying was analogous to them believing in Him as to who He is and the subsequent receiving of the Holy Spirit as clarified by Him when He said it is the Spirit that gives life, and the flesh is of no value.

Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. Whoso eighth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. These things said he in the synagogue, as he taught in Capernaum. Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it? When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you? What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before? It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life. But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him. From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him. (John 6:53-54,59-64,66)  

Can A Believer In Christ Lose Their Salvation?

YES

  • These disciples followed Jesus, learning of Him, and believing in Him as their Messiah, but changed their mind about Him after He made certain statements in the synagogue.

      ~ Jesus statement about those who eat His flesh and drink His blood was taken literally and they probably thought He was crazy.

  • Many of his disciples returned to their old lives, no longer following Jesus and forfeited their eternal destiny.

NO

  • Jesus knew from the beginning of his ministry who would believe in Him as the Messiah.
  • But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.
  • Those disciples, who left, didn’t lose their salvation, because it was revealed that they didn’t believe in Him in the first place. You can’t lose something that you didn’t have.
  • From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him. (John 6:64)

                  This next section is one of the key proponents by those who say that a believer can’t lose their salvation.

The Sheep Hear His Voice And Follow Him:  “and they shall never perish”

John 10:27-29

The Jews asked Christ to tell them clearly if He indeed was the Messiah. Jesus responded that He had already told them through His actions and teachings, which should have left no doubt about His identity. These Jews were not his sheep, because they didn’t believe that He was the Christ, the Messiah. His sheep are those who hear His voice and follow Him.

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

Can A Believer In Christ Lose Their Salvation?

YES

  • Those who “hear His voice,” hear and obey His commandments and recognize His supreme claims, subsequently believing in Him as the Messiah, and yielding to His guidance, seeking to be led by Him.
  • They go where his Spirit and providence leads them, having eternal life unless they stopped following Him, in which case they will perish and lose true and eternal life.

NO

  • Those who hear His voice, giving assent of His supreme claims and subsequently follow (acknowledge; respond) that He is the Christ will receive eternal life. Eternal life is not based on our walk, but on our standing.
  • Some other examples of this idea about those, who hear his voice and follow him is found in Luke 9:52-60.

~        Jesus sent messengers to a village of the Samaritans to find a place to spend the night before proceeding on to Jerusalem, but the Samaritans did not provide lodging because they became aware that He was on his way to Jerusalem to observe the feast of tabernacles and, while they claimed to fear Yahweh, they also served other gods and persecuted those who feared Yahweh only.

~        The disciples asked if they should command fire to come down and destroy them, but Jesus said no, because He came to save men’s lives, and not to destroy them.

~        Proceeding on He gave three examples of people who were urged to “Follow Him” but, for one reason or another, none of them responded to His call for salvation.

~        The words “Follow me” means to hear Christ’s voice and follow Him, to recognize His supreme claims, and respond by believing that He is the Messiah  

~    And he said unto another, Follow me. But he said, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father. (Luke 9:59)  

  • When we believe in Christ, we will never be punished in hell or perish for eternity. No man, demon, or power will be able to seize and take us away from Jesus or his Father.

                        The idea of being cast forth as a branch is for some an analogy of a believer losing their salvation.

Jesus Is The True Vine:  “If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered”

Suggested Reading: John 15:1-8

Judas, the brother of the apostle James and author of the book of Jude, asked Jesus how He would manifest himself to His disciples and not to the world. Jesus responded by talking about His relationship with the Father and His relationship with those who believed in Him. He said that He is the true vine and His Father is the gardener. Every branch or those who believe in Him, that does not bear fruit will be taken away as a branch, that has dried up and is removed from a tree and destroyed by fire, but every productive branch will be pruned to produce even more fruit.

Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. (John 15:2,4-6)

YES

  • Every person that believes in Him but does not bear fruit is taken away.

~        He removes every branch which has been in Him by true faith - such as have given way to iniquity, and made shipwreck of their faith and of their good conscience.

  • Those believers who do not abide in Him will no longer have any right or title to Him or His salvation, being withered (deprived of all the influences of God’s grace and Spirit).

~        They will be separated from God's people, from God Himself, and from the glory of His power and be eternally tormented with the Devil and his angels, because they have lost their salvation.

NO

  • Every person, who believes in Him, but does not bear fruit is taken away indicating that they are receiving none of the juices of the tree or in other words, they are not being impacted by the Holy Spirit.
  • These believers can be taken away in the further sense of being removed in the following ways:

~        By the discipline of God.

~        By falling into temptation.

~        By persecution and tribulation.

~        By the deceitfulness of riches.

~        By the cares of this world (Matthew 13:21-22).

~        By death, for God has power at any moment to remove unprofitable branches.

  • As a result they will be purged (which can refer to the word which convicts and cleanses). This could also be an analogy to the born again Christian, who only by their communion with Christ through the Spirit that makes possible the bearing of the fruit.
  • The believer, who does not abide in Him, will be cast off, perhaps from the vineyard, as analogous both to being disciplined by the church and being removed from the proximity to the vine (Jesus Christ) having become withered (spiritually weak), as the commencement of strength is taken from him.
  • The consequences of their choices will be that they will be cast into the fire, meaning misery of soul and discipline from God, which could include fiery trials, fierce temptations, and terrible judgments always overtaking the unfruitful and unfaithful servants, and even physical death; losing rewards but not salvation at the judgment seat of Christ.
  • These verses are similar to those found in 1 Corinthians 3:1-15 where Paul is addressing the Corinthian believers as those who are carnal, men of the flesh, who are under the influence of the old sin nature. If their works are not built upon the foundation of Christ, they will be burned up in smoke and their reward will be lost, but not their salvation.
  • If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire. (1 Corinthians 3:15)

                 Who is the son of perdition and how does he relate to this topic?

The Men Which Thou Gave Me:  “none of them is lost except the son of perdition”

Suggested Reading: John 17:1-12

Jesus was the manifestation of the Father’s name to those whom the Father had given him as apostles or one of the elect.

…O Father… I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word. For I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from thee, and they have believed that thou didst send me. While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled. (John 17:5-6,8,12)

Can A Believer In Christ Lose Their Salvation?

YES

  • The Father gave Judas to the Son (eternal election), having been called to the position of apostle, indicating that he believed in Christ as the Messiah, but he changed his mind about Him and subsequently betrayed Him, thus losing his salvation.

NO

  • The Father gave 12 men to the Son to be his apostles. Each one had to choose to believe that Jesus was the Christ, and all did except one, Judas.
  • Judas didn’t lose his salvation, because he never believed in Jesus in the first place �" he couldn’t lose what he never had.

So, how are you doing? You might have thought that we would have only looked at a couple of scripture sections. Probably in some churches that is all that would be looked at. What I have tried to do is give you most scriptural sections that are debated in relation to this topic. Whatever your opinion is now on this biblical topic and whatever it will be upon the completion of this study, what I hope that you have gotten out of it is that we as believes should know “why” we believe what we believe along with “why” another believer believes differently. I believe that with an understanding of both views we are more apt to be willing to dialogue with a fellow believer in regard to our differences of opinion on a topic rather than be condescending toward them.

In the scripture sections that follow we will now examine this topic from the perspective of a New Testament believer, as one who has received the indwelling Holy Spirit just like the disciples of Jesus on the day of Pentecost following His death on the cross, burial, resurrection, and ascension into heaven. As such we will look at scripture sections which are taken from the book of Acts, the epistles (letters that were written to the churches), and the book of Revelation.



© 2020 rondo


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

141 Views
Added on October 31, 2016
Last Updated on February 20, 2020


Author

rondo
rondo

BLOCK ISLAND, RI



About
My name is James Rondinone. I am a husband, father, and spiritual leader. I grew up in Massachusetts and began my own spiritual journey early on in life. I attended bible college having completed a.. more..

Writing
PART 4 PRAYER PART 4 PRAYER

A Chapter by rondo