PART 9 ETERNAL SECURITY

PART 9 ETERNAL SECURITY

A Chapter by rondo
"

ETERNALLY SAVED OR ETERNALLY LOST?

"

�-�Can A Believer In Christ Lose Their Salvation? �" Section 5

�-�Eternal Security or Eternally Lost?

...You Decide

CHAPTER 14

Can A Believer In Christ Lose Their Salvation? �" Scripture Section 5

Well here we are getting ready to read the final chapter on this topic. I sincerely hope you have enjoyed it up to now. I hope that when you have a question on any biblical topic that you will not only study it thoroughly, but have a manuscript like this handy so that you can refer to it.

We will begin by going to the book of 2 Timothy.

If Christ were to say to a believer that He will deny them, is he saying that they are no longer his children?

We have died with Christ:  “if we deny him, he also will deny us”

Suggested Reading: 2 Timothy 2:11-14

Having died with Christ, we shall also live through Him. If we remain faithful in the midst of suffering we will reign with Him, experiencing a measure of reigning with Him now, because He enthrones Himself within our hearts. But He will also deny us if we deny Him.

If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us: If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself. (2 Timothy 2:12-13)

Can A Believer In Christ Lose Their Salvation?

Yes

  • The word “deny” is used of followers of Jesus who, for fear of death or persecution, deny that He is their master, and desert His cause, or disown Him. In this case, He will also deny that any of them are his followers and will not acknowledge them as His own.
  • Christ’s denial of us means that our relationship with Him and the receiving of eternal life has been lost.  
  • Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. (Matthew 10:32-33)

No

  • If we deny Him through unfaithfulness in the midst of suffering, He will also deny us, indicating a loss of fellowship, but not eternal life.  
  • Similar verses of scripture which convey the concept of physical suffering for Christ’s sake are found in 2 Corinthians 4:5-10.

~        Paul and Timothy suffered intensively for Jesus, amidst great perils, their bodies bearing the marks of physical abuse, so that His resurrection power might be seen in them.

~        Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body. (2 Corinthians 4:10)

  • Christ denying us has to do with his resurrection life remaining within us even as we operate in the flesh, doing things under our own power. It is in this sense that Christ has denied us.
  • The idea of relationship or losing eternal life is found in 2 Timothy 2:13. Even if we are unfaithful or untrue in our Christian life, He cannot disown himself and cannot deny unprofitable members of His body. Christ's faithfulness to Christians is not contingent on their faithfulness to Him.
  • If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.

If a believer departs from the Lord does this mean that they are lost?

Harden Not Your Hearts: “in departing from the living God”

Suggested Reading: Hebrews 3:1-19

Paul instructed believers to not harden their hearts by refusing to listen to God’s truth. He reminded them of the Israelites who complained about Moses’ leadership in the wilderness when they lacked fresh water. Instead of asking Moses to seek God’s assistance they questioned him, intimating that God might no longer be with them.

And he called the name of the place Massah, and Meribah, because of the chiding of the children of Israel, and because they tempted the Lord, saying, Is the Lord among us, or not? (Exodus 17:7)

This refusal to trust and obey God continued throughout the 40 years wandering in the wilderness, and when the 12 spies were sent to explore the Promised Land only two, Joshua and Caleb, returned with a favorable report. As a result, only Joshua, Caleb, and the new generation (those who initially left Egypt being 20 years of age or younger) were allowed to enter Canaan.

The wilderness experience of the Israelites is symbolic of our own times of wandering. Our ability to enter into God’s rest is determined by seeking and relying upon Him, no matter what. This doesn’t mean there will no longer be any testing or temptations in our life, but as long as we learn to think more like Him and follow His promptings we will see Him work on our behalf. We must be ever vigilant and watchful to avoid a rebellious heart such as the Israelites had, which resulted in their separation from the living God. We must keep our faith in Christ, encourage one another, and hold to our faith in Him rather than embracing some other belief system.

Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God. (Hebrews 3:12)

Can A Believer In Christ Lose Their Salvation?

Yes

  • Any believer who renounces his faith in Christ and subscribes to a belief system that is diametrically opposed to what he believed before has changed and become an unbeliever, departing from the living God.
  • Through such apostasy or falling away from God, they extinguish all the light that was in them, grieving the Spirit of God so that he takes his flight, and leaves them to a seared conscience and reprobate mind.

No

  • Any believer, who renounces his faith in Christ and subscribes to a belief system that is diametrically opposed to what he believed before, has become an apostate.

~        His thoughts are no longer occupied with the mind of Christ; and his power is no longer derived from the Holy Spirit.

~        His mind, speech, and actions evidence a different belief system; one that is dependent on self-effort, self-satisfaction, and self-accomplishment.

~        He is still a believer in Christ, but has no witness of Him operating in his life toward others. 

To get rid of something by fire signifies its destruction. When applied to a believer does it mean the same thing?

For It Is Impossible For Those Who Were Once Enlightened: “whose end is to be burned”

Suggested Reading: Hebrews 6:1-9

These scriptures are some of the most controversial concerning the question “Can a believer lose their salvation?” The context appears to be of believers leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ and not going on to maturity. Having once been enlightened in their minds and hearts to understand the Gospel; having tasted (experienced) the heavenly gift (of salvation); having become partakers of the influences of the Holy Spirit; if they have fallen away it has become impossible for them to be renewed.

For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame. For the earth which drinketh in the rain that cometh oft upon it, and bringeth forth herbs meet for them by whom it is dressed, receiveth blessing from God: But that which beareth thorns and briers is rejected, and is nigh unto cursing; whose end is to be burned. (Hebrews 6:4-8)

Can A Believer In Christ Lose Their Salvation?

Yes

  • These believers did not to go on to maturity; totally abandoning their faith, becoming disqualified for further service, and losing their salvation. God cannot save them again; he can’t allow them to come back either, because of their condition.
  • They are like the farmer’s land that produces thorns after the rains �" the briers are rejected because they have no value, and will be destroyed by fire; meaning loss of salvation and going to hell at physical death.

No

  • These believers chose not to go on to maturity by totally abandoning their faith and deviating from the right path. Because of their depraved mind and apostate condition, it is impossible for them to repent and be sanctified by the Holy Spirit, renewing their fellowship with God.
  • The analogy of the farmer’s land that produces thorns after the rains refers to the believer’s works, which are rejected as worthless, cursed as useless, and are burned as punishment.

~        The PURPOSE of burning land in this way was to render it available for useful purposes by destroying noxious weeds, and thorns, and underbrush.

  • If left up to those in the apostate condition, they would never return to their faith, but God will chastise them with the hope that they will acknowledge their ungodly works, repent, and be renewed.

~        "This is the gradual conforming of the man more and more to that new spiritual world into which he has been introduced, and in which he now lives and moves; the restoration of the divine image" (Trench). This is the work of the Holy Spirit in sanctification, thus bringing forth fruit for God’s glory. 

~        Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost (Titus 3:5)

What do the words “fiery indignation” mean in relation to a believer’s salvation?

Not Forsaking The Assembling Of Ourselves Together: “looking for of judgment and fiery indignation”

Suggested Reading: Hebrews 10:21-31

We should enter God’s presence with a right and genuine attitude toward Him, unwavering in our confidence in Christ for purification through His blood and by grace, confessing our faith without being shaken by trials or by the arguments of our enemies. We should be mindful of each other’s spiritual welfare, encouraging one another in ministry as we share love and good works with others. We are not to stop meeting together for reading, exhortation, and worship. It is interesting to note that the emphasis here is not on what a believer gets from the assembly, but rather on what he can contribute to the assembly.

If we repeatedly commit deliberate and willful sin and renounce our Christian faith by returning to the Law, we no longer access the sacrifice Jesus made for our sin; and all that remains is the fear of God’s judgment against those who oppose Him. The Jewish believers were warned of severe punishment if they discounted the Son of God by deliberately and contemptuously rejecting his sacrificial death on the cross, considering it to be of no value.

Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace? (Hebrews 10:25-29)

Can A Believer In Christ Lose Their Salvation?

Yes

  • These Jewish believers, who at one time heard and responded to the gospel, were now treating the blood of the covenant as an unholy thing and renouncing its efficacy. No other sacrifice can address this sin.
  • This kind of spiritual rebellion clearly calls for much greater punishment than the capital penalty that was inflicted under the Mosaic setup; and the punishment is fiery indignation, meaning divine wrath or hell.
  • There is a similarity between apostates under the Law and under the Gospel in that both perish without mercy; but the kind of death is different for the Apostle denounces on the despisers of Christ not only the deaths of the body, but eternal perdition.

No

  • These Jewish believers, who at one time heard and responded to the gospel, were now treating the blood of the covenant as an unholy thing and renouncing its efficacy. No other sacrifice can address this sin.
  • Christ’s sacrifice is the only true one, and the reference to fiery indignation refers to severe discipline.
  • This kind of spiritual rebellion clearly calls for much greater punishment than the capital penalty that was inflicted under the Mosaic setup, and it could involve a form of divine retribution such as mental and emotional turmoil that can be worse than immediate physical death, always keeping in mind the desired end of divine discipline, which is to restore the believer to the fear of the Lord and a godly and holy life.

What does it mean to be without chastisement?

You Have Not Yet Resisted Unto Blood Striving Against Sin “then ye are b******s, and not sons”

Suggested Reading: Hebrews 12:1-17

       As Jesus endured (to bear up courageously under suffering without sinning) all that came against him, so should we lay aside (get rid of) every weight (hindrance; obstruction; stumbling block), and the sin (sinful propensity) that easily besets (distracts) us, so that we can run with patience (perseverance) the race that is set before us.

       Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, (Hebrews 12:1)

       As of yet the persecution these believers were enduring had not involved physical death, where renouncing one’s faith in the Messiah in order to be relieved of suffering would be so great a temptation.   

       4 Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.

       He goes on to say don’t despise (to not pay attention to) the chastening of the Lord. Another word persecutions are allowed of God for your chastening (correction; it speaks also of whatever in adults cultivates the soul, especially by correcting mistakes and curbing the passions. It speaks also of instruction which aims at the increase of virtue. The word does not have in it the idea of punishment, but of corrective measures which will eliminate evil in the life and encourage the good. Here, the persecutions were used of God in an effort to clarify the spiritual vision of the readers as to the relative merits of the First Testament and the New Testament, warning them against returning to the temple sacrifices and urging them on to faith in the Messiah as High Priest).

       So the message is, when chastening occurs in your life, don’t give up. If you endure (remain under; humble oneself; learn what He is trying to teach you) chastening (correction), then you will become partakers of God’s holiness.

       5 And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:

       7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?

       And then this statement is made, if you are without chastisement, then you are b******s, and not sons.

       8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye b******s, and not sons.

Can A Believer In Christ Lose Their Salvation?

Yes

  • Those believers who wish to be removed from correction or who will not submit to correction will lose their salvation, and become b******s (those born out of wedlock with no inheritance).
  • Those believers, who would renounce their belief in Christ as the result of being persecuted thus returning to the sacrifices of the Mosaic Law, would lose their salvation.

No

  • God chastens all of his sons. Chastening is proof that we are his children. Those who are not disciplined by God simply means they are unbelievers (b******s), and not the Father’s real children.

If a believer chooses to continue in habitual sin will they lose their salvation?

He Which Converts The Sinner:  “shall save a soul from death”

James 5:19-20

   If a fellow believer strays from a life that exemplifies God’s truth, we, as believers, are commanded to approach him/her regarding their error so they can be restored (their soul will be delivered) from death, and their sins forgotten.

Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him; Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

Can A Believer In Christ Lose Their Salvation?

Yes

  • If a believer chooses to abandon righteousness and refuses to repent when approached by a fellow believer concerning their sin, their salvation will be lost and their immortal soul will not be saved from eternal ruin.

No

  • If a believer chooses to abandon righteousness and refuses to repent when approached by a fellow believer concerning their sin, they will reap what they have sown �" that is, misery of soul and chastisement from God.
  • If a believer does repent, when confronted about their sin, then they will be delivered from misery of soul and chastisement from God, and their sins will be forgiven.

What does it mean if a believer falls away from the faith?

Whereby Are Given Unto Us Extremely Great And Precious Promises: “ye shall never fall”

Suggested Reading: 2 Peter 1:3-12 

       God the Father has given us all things pertaining to life, including happiness and blessings, and godliness (the way He wants us to live), through the knowledge (metabolized doctrine, which is doctrine that is eaten under the filling of the Holy Spirit, is converted to nourishment for spiritual growth, and eliminates human viewpoint in the Christian life) of Christ. We should apply such knowledge to the situations of life because God has called us to glory (to a life that is a manifestation of the divine character of Christ) which exhibits virtue (God’s moral excellence or goodness).

Whereby there has been given us priceless promises in His Word pertaining to our salvation through Christ so that we might become (conveys the idea of growth) partakers (sharers) of the divine nature (divine power; a renewal of the image of God being restored to us, including views, thoughts, purposes, and principles of action).

We should be eager to add to our faith:

  • Virtue�"nobility of character; a life honest and rightly formed�"it is Christian manliness and active courage in the good fight of faith.
  • Knowledge�"gnosis, or academic knowledge; knowing more of what it means to be a Christian.
  • Temperance�"maintaining control of one’s desires (passions).
  • Patience�"don’t quit; personal courage and endurance in the face of suffering and evil.
  • Godliness�"to have a life wholly devoted to God.
  • Brotherly kindness�"concern for our brother’s needs.
  • Charity�"to all people, not expecting anything in return.  

When such fruit or qualities exist in our lives in abundance, we shall not be barren (shunning the labor which one ought to perform) or unfruitful (without fruit; contributing nothing to the instruction, improvement, or comfort of others) in the true knowledge of Christ’s nature, dignity, and benefits. But if we fail to develop these qualities we become like a spiritually blind person or unbeliever, only seeing the things before us but not heavenly things, having forgotten that we have been forgiven once and for all through the blood of Christ. And by the way if we have developed these spiritual qualities, we will never fall.

Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins. Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall. (2 Peter 1:4-5,9-10)

Can A Believer In Christ Lose Their Salvation?

Yes

  • If a believer does not develop these spiritual qualities, then they will lose their salvation.

No

  • If a believer does not develop these spiritual qualities, they will fall away from the faith, not experiencing the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit. 

If swift destruction were to come upon a believer, could this be taken to mean that they lost their salvation?

There Shall Be False Teachers Among You: “they are again entangled therein, and overcome”

Suggested Reading: 2 Peter 2:1-22

False prophets and teachers will promote damnable heresies, or self-chosen doctrines, denying/denouncing/disowning God’s truth through immorality under a cloak of religion, resulting in destruction. But many will follow, accepting their teaching and acting in the same manner.

The church and faith in Christ will be blasphemed and ridiculed by these false teachers, and through greedy desire for more material possessions, they will take advantage of others through deception. They will speak impressively with alluring words, misleading people into sinful lifestyles, including fornication, yet even as they teach liberty and freedom they are actually slaves to corruption and immorality.

If believers leave their faith in Christ and return to their former immoral lives, things will be even worse for them than before they were saved.

But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. For when they speak great swelling words of vanity, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through much wantonness, those that were clean escaped from them who live in error. For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning. (2 Peter 2:1,18-20)

Can A Believer In Christ Lose Their Salvation?

Yes

  • Are the false prophets and false teachers believers? It is difficult to tell.

~        Verse 1 says that these false teachers were among them, that they denied the Lord who bought them, and that they would bring upon themselves swift destruction.

~        Assuming they are believers, that which will come upon them “swift destruction” refers to their loss of salvation or eternal destruction.

~        The latter end is worse for them than the beginning because they lost what they originally had �" eternal life.                 

No

  • Are the false prophets and false teachers believers? It is difficult to tell.

~        Verse 1 says that the false teachers were among them, that they denied the Lord who bought them, and that they would bring upon themselves swift destruction.

~        Assuming they are believers, “swift destruction” refers to the destruction, or ruin, of their soul.

~        The latter end is worse for them than the beginning because they will receive from God a more severe degree of punishment because of their apostasy, but will not lose their salvation.

Here is another example of a believer changing their mind, albeit in this case, as to whether Christ actually came in the flesh. Would this difference in perspective cause them to lose their salvation?

Who Confess Not That Jesus Christ Is Come In The Flesh:  “hath not God”

Suggested Reading: 2 John 4-10

The apostle John wrote to a particular woman whose children were living righteously, encouraging her to continue loving others according to God’s commandment which was to love one another, to live in the sphere of truth, and to do what is in accordance with it99.

He warned of false teachers who do not believe that Jesus is God, being born as a man; and instructed her to be careful not to fall prey to their deception, risking the loss of what had been gained or a full reward. He emphasized that one who passes beyond the assigned limits of doctrine and does not recognize Jesus as the Messiah/Savior, does not have a relationship with God.

He also encouraged her to welcome any who recognized Jesus as the only begotten Son of God, the Messiah, and the Savior.

For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist. Look to yourselves, that we lose not those things which we have wrought, but that we receive a full reward. Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. (2 John 7-9)

Can A Believer In Christ Lose Their Salvation?

Yes

  • If the woman, her children, or any believer does not recognize Jesus as Messiah/Savior/God come in the flesh, they will lose the full reward, which is eternal life with God forever.
  • If a believer denies the doctrine of Christ, they will lose their salvation.
  • Anyone (unbeliever) who does not believe that Jesus is God come in the flesh will not receive eternal life.

No

  • If the woman, her children, or any believer does not recognize Jesus as Messiah/Savior/God come in the flesh, they will not receive a full reward, but their degree of heavenly rewards will be received proportionally to the capability of receiving heavenly blessedness
  • John exhorted the family to whom this epistle was written to beware of the many artful errorists around them, lest they should be drawn away from the truth, and lose a part of the full reward which they might hope to receive in heaven.
  • Deviation from the truth would cause them not to walk in God’s love and subsequently they would not have God, this not suggesting loss of salvation, but pointing to a doctrinal deviation, with its accompanying disobedience. Their fellowship with Him would be broken, but not their relationship to Him.

If a believer were to lose their first love, are we saying that they lost their salvation?

I Know Thy Works, And Thy Labor: “thou hast left thy first love”

Suggested Reading: Revelation 2:1-7

       The apostle John is writing to the seven churches that are located in Asia Minor. While there were more Christian churches than seven in Asia, these seven are the ones that the Spirit guided him to write about. It appears that he was caught up in a vision, seeing someone like unto the Son of man, who told him to write down things that are and things that will be. 

       We are going to look at what revelatory information he received in regard to the church of Ephesus. There is one like the Son of man, who declares that He knows their works (manner of life; behavior), their labor (theirpersistent and painful struggles to maintain their Christian profession103), and their patience (endurance of suffering and persecution). He is also mindful of their intolerance (opposition) to those, who have bad moral and spiritual qualities. And in regard to some, who have professed themselves to be apostles, He commends them for having thoroughly examined their claims and found them to be imposters.

       After which He tells them something that they neededed to address and that is that they have left their first love, and in regards to such they have fallen.

       Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love. Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent. (Revelation 2:4-5)

Can A Believer In Christ Lose Their Salvation?

Yes

  • The words “left they first love” means they are no longer operating in God’s love. While it’s true that they are exhibiting characteristics of their walk with God this is nothing more than religion. As a result of this continual state, they have fallen (lost their salvation).
  • If they repent (change their attitude and conduct) they will regain their salvation.

No

  • These believers have left their first love, which means they were no longer operating in God’s love, which is a love that God has for people. Without this love operating in their life they were no longer evidencing this love to their brethren in: helping one another in the Christian life; being loyal to one another; acting always in the best interests of the whole body of believers.        
  • This is not about them losing their salvation, but it has to do with their walk with God (personal sanctification). They needed to recover the filling (fruit) of the Holy Spirit.
  • They were instructed to repent (to return to the love they once operated in).
  • They were told to put themselves in remembrance of who they were made to be and of all that God had done for them when they became Christians.
  • They were also told to reengage in the works, when they first became Christians. This could involve: prayer, faithfully attending to the teachings, fasting, helping out the fellow believers, proclaiming the Gospel, etc.

 Does the blotting out of a person’s name in the book of life mean that they were a Christian, who lost their salvation?

He That Overcometh:  “I will not blot out his name out of the book of life”

Revelation 3:5

Overcomers will be clothed in white garments and will not have their name blotted out of the book of life. 

He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

Can A Believer In Christ Lose Their Salvation?

Yes

  • The book of life contains the names of those who have eternal life, names that could be removed as a result of habitual and unrepentant sin; the individual forfeiting the privileges of the theocracy, shut out from God’s favor, and losing eternal life.

~        Instead of being an overcomer in every circumstance by thinking with divine viewpoint, these believers habitually chose to think according the form, fashion, or appearance of the sentiments and morals of men.

~         And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. (Revelation 20:12-15)

No

  • The book of life contains the names of all humanity, including those who did not believe in God as revealed in the Old Testament or Jesus Christ in the New Testament.

~        The names of the unbelievers are removed from this book when they die, and thus, at the final judgment the book contains only the names of believers.

~        Thou hast known my reproach, and my shame, and my dishonour: mine adversaries are all before thee. Let them be blotted out of the book of the living, and not be written with the righteous. (Psalm 69:19,28)

~         And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. (Revelation 20:12-15)

~        An overcomer is a person, who believes that Jesus is the Son of God, God come in the flesh.

~        Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God? (1 John 5:5)

       Now you have become aware as to what it takes to do a thorough study on a biblical topic. Don’t just use one or two verses to support a particular view. Look up as many as you can. Some are similar in what they are trying to say on a topic and others are not. And try also to understand what the writer was talking about (the context) by looking at the verses that came before or after the passage or passages of scripture.

       There is no question that a study such as this can be exhausting not only in regards to the writing of it but also in regards to the reading of it.

       When I was on staff for a church in my younger years I never had the opportunity to do any kind of in depth study on any biblical topic even though I had questions about what I was being taught. But having retired from teaching high school math for thirty years has given me the opportunity to do the kind of studying that I have always wanted to do. It has been my pleasure to share this study with you. I have left you with some parting words.

 Eternal Security or Eternally Lost?

       After studying many scriptures regarding the question, “Can a believer lose their salvation?” your original viewpoint may have either been strengthened or changed.

Some people have mentioned that this study has been a waste of time, suggesting that teachings on the “gifts of the Spirit” or on the “baptism of the Spirit” as more relevant. Those topics while important are as pertinent to a believer’s walk as are all biblical topics. We should know what we believe and why, with an awareness of the different points of view. When we understand the reasons behind opposing views, we can dialogue with fellow believers when the situation arises without disrespect or a condescending attitude when their opinions differ from ours. If we can’t learn to agree to disagree, we should reevaluate our love toward one another. Dissension, condescension, and division shouldn’t characterize our speech and actions.

One may feel justified in speaking and acting in a divisive way because they are certain their view is biblical, and that the alternative view of a fellow believer is incorrect; but even if one’s view is correct, should it be the basis for an argumentative and disruptive spirit toward others with different opinions? If one answers “yes,” it is possible that my teaching here could be considered divisive, offensive, and as such to be avoided; as some might believe the following verse in the book of Romans is a warning against.

Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. ( Romans 16:17)

According to this verse there were those who attempted to separate people into groups on the pretense of superior holiness, causing them to fight with one another; resulting in some leaving the right road and falling into sin (offenses) thus going against the doctrine taught by Paul to the Christians at Rome. These Christians were instructed not to associate with such people; disregarding all that they might say, which had produced alienation and strife, and resolving to cultivate the spirit of peace and unionin their midst.

Just who were those causing division and offenses among the Roman Christians?

The first group appears to have been religious Jews who were judging others for specific sins, even while they did the same things (i.e. homosexuality, lesbianism, fornication, envy, murder, etc.) along with requiring others to follow the Mosaic Law in order to be righteous before God, yet ignoring it themselves. Paul’s instruction to these Jews was that the only way to become justified (made righteous) before God, whether you were a Jew or Gentile was to believe in Christ. (Romans 2 & 3)

The second group were believers who engaged in the practice of eating sacrificial meat. They were arguing, judging one another, and compromising the faith of their weaker brothers in Christ. Paul’s advice to them was an allowance for them to eat meat as long as they were unaware that it had previously been offered to idols. (Romans 14:1-2,13-15,21-23; 1 Corinthians 10:25)

Both of the above groups of people were to be avoided if they refused to heed instruction. Instead of disobeying instruction they should pursue the things of peace (that which removes strife), and the things of edification (whatever helps another to become strong in their faith). According to Paul, food and one's personal convictions about it were not as important as the spiritual health of a fellow Christian and the work of God. (Romans 14:19)

But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth. This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish. For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work. (James 3:14-16)

Am I causing strife among the brethren by teaching a topic from two opposing views? My first answer to that is there are certain truths that all Christians should accept because they are the foundations of the faith. Yet even that can get tricky because some will say that tithing is a foundation of the faith. Others will say that observing the 7th day Sabbath is a foundation of the faith. And still others will say the Baptism (filling) of the Holy Spirit, which according to them, is evidenced by the speaking in prayer tongues, is a foundation of the faith. And the list goes on and on  …

I believe a foundation of the faith is the Trinity, comprised of three persons, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, each of whom is God.

Another foundation is belief in Jesus Christ and what He accomplished when He left heaven; who was born of a virgin, walked the earth for 33 years without committing sin, listened to and obeyed the voice of the Father, died on a cross paying the penalty and providing forgiveness for the sins of the whole world, rose from the dead after 3 days never to die again, and ascended into heaven where He is seated at the right hand of the Father.

The process of sanctification is another foundational truth. One who believes in Christ will receive the indwelling Holy Spirit, and hopefully will learn how to be filled with Him in order to experience His presence or power. We should be willing to listen to instruction that teaches us how to think with a new mind �" the mind of Christ, which provides newness of thought about how we are to view others and ourselves. When we memorize, meditate on, and apply these new thoughts on a day-to-day basis, we are walking in the Spirit. When we sin whether in mind, words, or actions, we should confess this to God the Father and renew our mind with the mind of Christ.

If our faith is grounded in the teachings of the trinity, the gospel, salvation, and personal sanctification (the filling of the Spirit), then any other areas of honest disagreement (e.g. tithing, the Baptism of the Spirit, the 7th day Sabbath, eternal security, etc.) can be addressed in a Christ-like manner.

If a fellow believer has a sincere conviction about a matter but remains unable to discuss it with others without becoming argumentative, condescending, and disrespectful, it would be wise for that person to examine the earthly wisdom of their heart.

Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates? (2 Corinthians 13:5)

And remember that the heavenly wisdom which from above is:

  • Pure �" free from self-interest.
  • Peaceable �" helps others settle their differences.
  • Gentle �" tolerant and accepting of other people's different ways, not easily aroused and annoyed at what other people do and say.
  • Easy to be entreated �" always willing to listen to other people's views and ready to be persuaded.
  • Full of mercy �" showing compassion to those in trouble and in need.
  • Good fruits �" just, benevolent, and kind in action.
  • Without partiality �" not swayed by worldly honor.
  • Without hypocrisy �" has nothing of its own of which to be ashamed, and which needs to be concealed.

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. (James 3:17)

Thank you for reading this book. I hope it has provided you with insight regarding not only the topic of Eternal Security, but what should be those teachings that should be the foundations of your faith. As far as how you can use this teaching not only for your own personal benefit, but in regard to discussing this topic with someone, whose view is different than yours, try to memorize a couple of scriptures that support your perspective along with the opposing arguments. This will at least make it clear to the person you are dialoguing with that you have searched out both perspectives and as such you can tell them the “why” or the reasons behind you have chosen to believe what you believe.

God Bless!

Follow this series: on-line at

Weekly Messages: https://www.blockislandtimes.com/affiliate/block-island-christian-fellowship/12074

Website: http://www.makingtheonerightchoice.com/ 

 



© 2016 rondo


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

58 Views
Added on November 19, 2016
Last Updated on November 19, 2016


Author

rondo
rondo

BLOCK ISLAND, RI



About
My name is James Rondinone. I am a husband, father, and spiritual leader. I grew up in Massachusetts and began my own spiritual journey early on in life. I attended bible college having completed a.. more..

Writing
PART 4 PRAYER PART 4 PRAYER

A Chapter by rondo