PART 1 ETERNAL SECURITY

PART 1 ETERNAL SECURITY

A Chapter by rondo
"

What is meant when scripture says that the Spirit is on-resting upon a believer of the Old Testament?

"

PART 1 ETERNAL SECURITY

Introduction

What does it mean when we say that is it possible for a person to lose their salvation?

What does the word salvation mean?

Is the Holy Spirit received in the same manner in both the Old and New Testaments?

Can a person lose the Holy Spirit?

In order to understand this idea of losing one’s salvation, we must answer all of these questions. We should also ask ourselves, are we talking about an Old Testament saint or a New Testament believer?

We will present this topic from two opposing points of view; one espousing that a person can lose their salvation, and the other espousing that a person cannot lose their salvation. Regardless of the view one holds, hopefully the entire study will be read and contemplated. It is often difficult to read about something with which we don’t agree, but I am not asking anyone to change his or her opinion, only to consider the alternate view of fellow believers. Shouldn’t we be aware of why we disagree? Are we able to have a non-combative dialogue with one another when we differ in our perspective about a Biblical topic? Since we will live with each other throughout eternity, why not learn now to foster a cooperative exchange of views.

Some might argue that if a church allows its members to hold to different opinions about a topic, it will cause division and confusion. Here’s a question for you to consider in this regard. Should every member of a particular church have to believe a certain way in order to be accepted by those in leadership and assembly? I would hope not. Each church does have its own doctrinal platform, and there is nothing wrong with that. However, if a member doesn’t conform to a particular doctrine, does this prohibit them from holding a leadership position? Should they be asked to leave and find another church if they have a difference of opinion? I’m sure that these kinds of decisions which need to be made in response to such situations are contemplated, confronted with, and addressed by most churches, when these issues arise.

On Sunday mornings, sometimes I will teach on different doctrinal issues, usually presenting divergent views. I do have my own opinion, and will gladly share it if asked, but I am concerned that when we get so wrapped up in supporting a particular view, it becomes easy to neglect that which needs to be attended to on a daily basis i.e., personal sanctification. It’s all too easy to enter into argumentative debates on whether a believer: is commanded to tithe; must speak in prayer tongues in order to evidence this as a sign of the baptism of the Holy Spirit; will be abandoned by God if they continue to live in habitual sin, etc.? When this happens we become divisive and our unity is destroyed. Such division will not draw unbelievers or visitors within our midst into our fellowship on a regular basis.

What should be the main focus of the church? Is it for all members to agree doctrinally with one another? Shouldn’t it be on learning about who we are as new creations in Christ and internalizing these new thoughts? When the members begin thinking with the mind of Christ throughout each day, the fruit of the Holy Spirit becomes evident on a more consistent basis. And when that happens, unbelievers will be drawn to the Lord, because his fruit is so desperately needed.

Hopefully, we can learn to agree to disagree on issues other than our shared foundational beliefs in the Lord Jesus (e.g. the deity of Christ; the virgin birth of Christ; the resurrection of Christ; the atonement of Christ; the trinity - one God existing as three persons each having the same nature - coequal, coinfinite, and coeternal; Christ (God the Son) come in the flesh); and his finished work on the cross. It is very possible to disagree and discuss issues with one another in mutual respect, and yet agree that we need more of the Holy Spirit operating within our lives. Before you engage yourself in this study, ask God the Father to provide for you by means of the Holy Spirit his peace that passes all understanding so that you may be able to enjoy this spiritual meal which has been set before you.                                                                                                                                   

CHAPTER 1

The On-Resting Spirit of the Old Testament

Before we look at verses in the Old Testament that address the question “Can a person who believed in God as He was revealed in the Old Testament lose their salvation?” Let’s examine the concept of the on-resting Spirit.

What is the Meaning of the Spirit On-resting upon an Individual?

And Shalt Be Turned into Another Man:
Suggested Reading: 1 Samuel 9:1-27; 10:1-10
And the Spirit of the Lord will come upon thee, and thou shalt prophesy with them, and shalt be turned into another man. (1 Samuel 10:6)

When the children of Israel were demanding that a king be placed over them, God told the prophet/judge, Samuel, that He would send a man from the land of Benjamin to meet him at the gate of the city (of Ramah?) the following day at the same time. This man would become Israel’s first king. Sure enough, Saul arrived at the gate at the appointed time. Samuel showed him the word of God, anointed him to be the king, and told him to undertake a journey.

At some point, he would meet up with a company of prophets, where the Spirit of the Lord would come upon him, and he would prophesy with them. The words come upon thee refer to the Spirit rushing upon him; coming mightily upon him; or passing upon him as fire does when it breaks out and spreads.1 The on-resting Spirit does not refer to the Spirit’s indwelling of a person, as recorded in the New Testament scriptures, following Jesus’ death, resurrection, and ascension. Now, let’s attempt to answer the following question about the on-resting Spirit.

Could the On-Resting Spirit Be Lost or Depart from a Person Who Believed in God as He Was Revealed in the Old Testament?

Samson

Suggested Reading: Judges Chapters 13-16
And the woman bare a son, and called his name Samson: and the child grew, and the Lord blessed him, And the Spirit of the Lord began to move him at times in the camp of Dan between Zorah and Eshtaol. (Judges 13:24-25)

Samson was a judge of Israel for 20 years; one of the Nazarenes, who separated themselves from drinking wine and strong drink. They were not allowed to shave their head (a symbol of strength and abundant vitality, 2 Samuel 14:25-26), cut their beard, come near a dead body, attend funerals, or eat unclean food. They also spent much time in the study of the Law, were bound to some religious observances, performed acts of devotion, and taught others.

As Samson grew physically and spiritually, the Lord blessed him, and the on-resting Spirit would come upon him at various times. Eventually, he fell in love and wanted to marry a Philistine woman, but according to the instructions of Moses to the children of Israel, when they were encamped at Mount Sinai, it was against God’s law to do so (Deuteronomy 17). When they eventually entered the promised land of Canaan, they were not to marry anyone from another tribe, because it would cause their sons to turn away from God.

If Samson was aware of God’s directives in the area of marriage, he simply chose to disregard them. The formal dowry and gifts were given by Samson's father and followed by an unspecified interval, which varied according to Oriental custom from a few days to a full year between betrothal and wedding. During this time, the bride lived with her friends. Finally, the essential part of the marriage ceremony was performed, namely, the removal of the bride from her father's house to that of the bridegroom or his father.2

Thirty of Samson’s friends attended his wedding. At this time, Samson had come up with a riddle and made a bet with them, promising certain clothing items if they could decipher the it in 7 days. On the seventh day, the marriage was to be consummated, but as it drew closer Samson’s friends approached the bride-to-be and threatened her life unless she was able to persuade Samson to tell her the answer to the riddle and relay the information back to them. She complied, but Samson, aware of the betrayal by his future wife and friends angrily went to a nearby town, where he killed 30 men and took their clothing, apparently not even consummating the marriage. When he returned, he discovered that his wife’s father, thinking Samson was not coming back, had given her in marriage to the friend who was to have been best man at the wedding.

Later in life, Samson fell in love with another non-Jewish woman, named Delilah. Eventually she also betrayed him, persuading him to reveal to her the secret behind his great strength with the consequence of the on-resting Spirit departing from him along with the loss of supernatural strength. Subsequently, he was unable to defend himself against capture by the Philistines, who gouged out his eyes.

And she said, The Philistines be upon thee, Samson. And he awoke out of his sleep, and said, I will go out as at other times before, and shake myself. And he wist not that the Lord was departed from him. (Judges 16:20)

Throughout his life, Samson listened to his own conscience and followed after the lusts of his own heart. Delilah, who he had longed for and sought after, betrayed him with the terrible consequences of both physical and spiritual blindness. His spiritual blindness was the result of his own choices and resulted in a dishonorable testimony.

King Saul

Suggested Reading: 1 Samuel Chapters 12-16
But the Spirit of the Lord departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the Lord troubled him. (1 Samuel 16:14)

Having been anointed by the prophet Samuel, Saul became Israel’s first king in approximately 1025 BC, and during his reign the Israelites gained victory over many of their foes. However, Saul would occasionally disobey the divine instructions that were delivered to him by the prophet Samuel. In one instance, he was commanded to destroy all of the people and animals of the Amalekites, including their king, Agag, but he decided to spare him along with the best of the cattle. After repeated actions that were contrary to God’s directives, Samuel told Saul that God had rejected him as king. God instructed Samuel to visit a man named Jesse, because one of his seven sons would be chosen as the next king of Israel. That son was the youngest of his sons, named David. Because of Saul’s continued habit of doing things his own way, the on-resting Spirit left him and an evil spirit from the Lord came upon him instead.

King David

Suggested Reading: 2 Samuel Chapters 11-12
And it came to pass, after the year was expired, at the time when kings go forth to battle, that David sent Joab, and his servants with him, and all Israel; and they destroyed the children of Ammon, and besieged Rabbah. But David tarried still at Jerusalem. (2 Samuel 11:1)

King David launched a military campaign against the Ammonites in which many were killed while the capital city of Rabbah was surrounded. He, however, had decided to stay in Jerusalem during the battle and, from the rooftop of his house saw (gazed at) a beautiful woman washing herself. An inquiry revealed that she was Bathsheba, the wife of Uriah the Hittite, one of the 30 commanders of the 30 bands of David’s army.

He sent messengers to bring her to him and subsequently entered into a sexual relationship with her. She conceived and told him that she was pregnant, so David tried to figure out how to cover it up. He decided to send a message to Joab, the chief commander of the Jewish army, to bring Uriah home with a status report of the war. David planned to send Uriah home to his wife after receiving the report, hoping that they would be intimate and Bathsheba’s pregnancy could be attributed to him. Uriah, out of loyalty to his fellow soldiers, who were unable to enjoy their families, refused to go home. Later, he got Uriah drunk, still hoping that he could persuade him to go to his wife, but again he chose not to do so.

Realizing that unless something was done, Uriah would eventually find out that Bathsheba was pregnant by another man, he sent a letter to Joab telling him that when Uriah returned to the battle to put him at the forefront and withdraw his forces, knowing full well that he would be killed. And so it happened, and David was able to take Bathsheba to be his wife.

David not only had committed adultery, but had also persuaded his friend, the commander of his forces, to become an accomplice in Uriah’s murder. There is no record that David confessed his transgressions to the Lord shortly thereafter, SO God sent the prophet, Nathan, to speak to him about the consequences of his actions. According to the Mosaic Law, the penalty for committing adultery or murder was death. David then admitted that he had sinned against the Lord and Nathan told him that as a result God had removed the penalty of personal death and imposed other consequences:

�-�Evil would arise against him from within his own house.
�-�His many wives would have relations with others.
�-�His child with Bathsheba would die.

Accepting the rebuke and acknowledging the consequences, David repented and prayed, pleading with God not to take the Holy Spirit from him, which God refrained from doing so.

Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me. (Psalm 51:11)

In summary, it appears that the Holy Spirit could be lost (depart) due to habitual sin which was not repented of.

Here is another interesting question about the on-resting Spirit.

What Were the Benefits of the Holy Spirit Coming upon a Person in the Old Testament?

In order to answer this question, we will look at life experiences from several Old Testament saints and then summarize.

Joseph
Suggested Reading: Genesis Chapters 37-47
And Pharaoh said unto his servants, “Can we find such a one as this is, a man in whom the Spirit of God is?” And Pharaoh said unto Joseph, “Forasmuch as God hath shewed thee all this, there is none so discreet and wise as thou art.” (Genesis 41:38-39)

Joseph was the eldest son of Jacob and Rachel. Born in about 1910 BC, he had 11 other brothers, 10 of whom were half-brothers that hated him because their mutual father Joseph showed favoritism toward him. They were jealous because Jacob had honored his father by making him a coat of many colors (Genesis 37:3-4); and also resented him because of his dream indicating that they would be subservient to him in the future.

On a particular day, Jacob sent Joseph to inquire of his brothers, who had been tending their flocks at Shechem and had decided to proceed onward to Dothan. When they saw him coming, they began plotting and sold him to Ishmaelite merchants, who were on their way to the Egyptian market. In turn, he was sold to Potiphar, the chief of the Pharaoh’s state police, to whom he became his slave.

During this time, Potiphar’s wife made repeated sexual advances toward him, but he spurned them all. Eventually, she falsely accused him of attempted rape. Being cast into prison for two years, he encountered two of Pharaoh’s workmen (aristocrats) who were also prisoned there. It was the custom for an imprisoned aristocrat to receive one slave to serve him, and some commentators believe that Joseph was a slave to both of these men. Amazingly, each had a dream that they didn’t understand until they shared it with Joseph who was able to interpret each of them. Eventually, one man, the butler, would be reinstated to his position with Pharaoh.

Pharaoh also had disturbing dreams, and likewise he searched throughout his kingdom for someone to interpret them, but no one could. Finally, the butler remembered Joseph, and he was brought before Pharaoh who relayed to him two dreams. Joseph’s correct interpretation revealed that there would be 7 years of plenty followed by 7 years of famine throughout the land. Recognizing that Joseph had the Spirit of God accompanying him, Pharaoh declared that Joseph’s God had not only caused him to know the interpretation, but had also given him the wisdom to deal with the coming famine, and so he appointed him as food commissioner over all of the land of Egypt.

Moses                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

Exodus 31:1-3 And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying, See, I have called by name Bezaleel the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah: And I have filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, and in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship.

God spoke to Moses, revealing that He had chosen Bezaleel to be the chief superintendent over the building of the tabernacle, and Oholiab to be his assistant. Concerning Bezaleel, He said that He let His Spirit possess him completely in:

�-�Wisdom�"the power of judging what is wise or best to be done; the power to invent and originate.
�-�Understanding�"the ability to receive and appreciate directions and suggestions; to discern; the capacity to comprehend the different parts of a work, how to connect, arrange, etc., in order to make a complete whole.3
�-�Knowledge�"such information as is acquired by experience and acquaintance with facts.
�-�All manner of workmanship�"to possess manual dexterity, the power of artistic execution.4

Caleb

But my servant Caleb, because he had another spirit with him, and hath followed me fully, him will I bring into the land whereinto he went; and his seed shall possess it. (Numbers 14:24)

Surely none of the men that came up out of Egypt, from twenty years old and upward, shall see the land which I sware unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob; because they have not wholly followed me. (Numbers 32:11)

During the wilderness wanderings of the Jews under the guidance of Moses, there was a man named Caleb who, under the influence of God's Spirit, was of bold, generous, heroic course, above worldly anxieties and fears.5 He obeyed the Lord without reservation, proceeding boldly, unhesitatingly undeterred by any obstacles. Because of his faithfulness, God brought him into the Promised Land, the land of Canaan, along with Joshua and those who were younger than 20 years of age, when they left Egypt.

Saul
1 Samuel 10:6, 9 And the Spirit of the LORD will come upon thee, and thou shalt prophesy with them, and shalt be turned into another man And it was so, that when he had turned his back to go from Samuel, God gave him another heart: and all those signs came to pass that day.

Saul’s father sent him to look for some lost donkeys but, unable to find them, he told his servant that they should head back home. The servant told him about a seer (prophet) in a city of the land of Zuph who might be able to tell them where the donkeys were. Meanwhile, the Lord had spoken to the prophet, Samuel, on the previous day telling him that on this day he would meet a man whom he would anoint to be Israel’s king.

Saul arrived at the gate of the city and asked a man if he knew where the seer’s house was, unaware that he was speaking to Samuel. After identifying himself, Samuel invited him to partake in a meal, showed him the word of God, and anointed him to be king by pouring oil on his head. Samuel also told him that when he left the city, he would eventually come upon a company of prophets, if he followed his specific directions.

Saul did follow the instructions precisely, and when he encountered the prophets as foretold the Spirit of God came mightily upon him and he prophesied under the influence of divine inspiration uttering truths that were supernaturally revealed. He was changed into a different person, because he was given a new heart, which refers primarily to a different attitude and outlook. This young farmer would now both think and act like a leader, the king of the nation, a warrior-statesman; whose responsibility it was to listen to God and obey His will. The Holy Spirit would further enable him to serve God as long as he walked in obedience to His will.6

Micah

Micah 3:8 But truly I am full of power by the spirit of the Lord, and of judgment, and of might, to declare unto Jacob his transgression, and to Israel his sin.

The prophet Micah delivered a message, probably in Jerusalem, against the rulers of Israel who perverted righteous judgment by hating good and loving evil. He also upbraided the prophets who caused the people to err to the point that God would not communicate with them.

He was able to declare the transgressions and sins of the nation because he was full of:

�-�Power�"the heavenly energy of the Spirit.
�-�Judgment�"the substance of his message, right judgment to be enacted by them, to which he was to exhort them.7
�-�Might�"the courage or boldness to deliver the message of God.

Daniel

Suggested Reading: Daniel 5:1-31
There is a man in thy kingdom, in whom is the spirit of the holy gods; and in the days of thy father light and understanding and wisdom, like the wisdom of the gods, was found in him; whom the king Nebuchadnezzar thy father, the king, I say, thy father, made master of the magicians, astrologers, Chaldeans, and soothsayers; Forasmuch as an excellent spirit, and knowledge, and understanding, interpreting of dreams, and shewing of hard sentences, and dissolving of doubts, were found in the same Daniel, whom the king named Belteshazzar: now let Daniel be called, and he will shew the interpretation. (Daniel 5:11-12)

Nabonidus and his son Belshazzar were the last two kings of the Chaldean Empire exercising ruling power throughout the land. On this particular occasion, Belshazzar held a great feast for one thousand of his lords. As he tasted the wine, he commanded that the vessels of gold and silver, which had been taken by his grandfather King Nebuchadnezzar from the temple during the invasion and destruction of Jerusalem be used as vessels from which to drink. As they consumed the wine, they also praised their gods of gold, silver, brass, iron, wood, and stone.

In the same hour, the fingers of a man’s hand appeared and wrote upon a wall. When the king saw this, his cheerful countenance turned pale, becoming so frightened that the ligaments of his thighs lost the strength to hold his body up and he fell to the floor. The king summoned the astrologers and soothsayers, hoping that one of them would be able to decipher the writing. Whoever succeeded would be made the third ruler in the kingdom, but no one could interpret the writing�"or even read it.

The queen came forward and spoke of a man in the kingdom that in times past had interpreted the dreams of Nebuchadnezzar, Belshazzar’s grandfather. He was described as one in whom: the spirit of the holy gods was found; was light (the emblem of knowledge, making all things clear8); understanding (the idea of a kind of intelligence that enables a person to avoid errors or miscalculation9); and wisdom (good judgment). This man, Daniel, also possessed an extraordinary mind, the ability to interpret dreams, the ability to explain riddles or the meaning of obscure sentences, and the ability to find solutions to seemingly impossible problems.10

Belshazzar called for Daniel and offered him the reward if he could read and interpret the writing. Daniel declined the position and gifts, saying that as Nebuchadnezzar had been hardened by pride and removed from his kingly throne, so would Belshazzar be removed because of his prideful rebellion against God (as illustrated by his use of the vessels from the temple in conjunction with idolatry). Daniel read the words, interpreted them, and told Belshazzar that his kingdom was finished and would be divided and given to the Medes and Persians. That very night Belshazzar was murdered.

Summary

The benefits of the Holy Spirit coming upon a person in the Old Testament varied from person to person, but might include:

a. Wisdom for solutions to problems.
b. Wisdom for the power of righteous judgment and/or the ability to invent and originate.
c. Understanding with the ability to receive and appreciate directions and suggestions; the capacity to
comprehend the different parts of a work, how to connect, arrange, etc., in order to make a complete whole.11
d. Knowledge of such information as is acquired by experience and acquaintance with facts.
e. All manner of workmanship�"to possess manual dexterity, the power of artistic execution.12
f. Bold, generous, heroic course, above worldly anxieties and fears.13
g. Obedience to the Lord with no reservation, proceeding boldly and unhesitatingly without being
deterred by any obstacles.
h. Prophecy under the influence of divine inspiration, uttering truths supernaturally revealed.
i. A different attitude and outlook.
j. Think and act like a leader.
k. Listen to God and obey His will.
l. Full of judgment (the substance of one’s message, right judgment to be enacted by them, to which
he was to exhort them14).
m. Full of might�"the courage or boldness to deliver the message of God.
n. Ability to make all things clear.
o. An excellent spirit; an extraordinary mind.
p. Ability to explain riddles; and make clear the meaning of obscure sentences.
q. Ability to dissolve doubts by finding solutions to seemingly impossible problems.15

We have one final question to ask in respect to the on-resting Spirit.

Did Everyone Who Believed in God as He Was Revealed Receive the On-Resting Spirit in the Old Testament?

Children of Israel

And Israel saw that great work which the LORD did upon the Egyptians: and the people feared the LORD, and believed the LORD, and his servant Moses. (Exodus14:31)

Surely none of the men that came up out of Egypt, from twenty years old and upward, shall see the land which I sware unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob; because they have not wholly followed me: Save Caleb the son of Jephunneh the Kenezite, and Joshua the son of Nun: for they have wholly followed the Lord. (Numbers 32:11-12)

The children of Israel had been slaves in Egypt for 430 years, when God chose Moses to lead them out of slavery and into their eventual destination of Canaan. Pharaoh, who initially decided to let them go, changed his mind and pursued them to the Red Sea, where it appeared that there was no way to proceed. God instructed Moses to stretch out his hand over the sea, which then parted so that the children of Israel could pass through safely. Pharaoh’s army tried to follow, but as soon as the children of Israel reached dry land, the waters returned and destroyed his army. When Israel saw the work that God had accomplished, they respected and believed the Lord and his servant Moses, and together they sang a song of remembrance and triumph for this miraculous event.

There is no indication that the majority of the Israelites received the on-resting Spirit, even though they did have a relationship with God. According to Numbers 32, these same people were not allowed to enter the Promised Land of Canaan, because they didn’t wholly follow the Lord during their 40-years wandering in the wilderness. Only Caleb and Joshua along with those who were 20 years of age or under, when they came out of the land of Egypt, were allowed to enter the Promised Land.

Saul

And as they were going down to the end of the city, Samuel said to Saul, Bid the servant pass on before us, (and he passed on,) but stand thou still a while, that I may shew thee the word of God. (1 Samuel 9:27)

And the Spirit of the Lord will come upon thee, and thou shalt prophesy with them, and shalt be turned into another man. (1 Samuel 10:6)

Saul became Israel’s first king in approximately 1025 BC. The Israelites had been under the rule of the judges: men or women that God had raised up to meet the emergencies which arose through the defection and idolatry of the people, but the people demanded that a king be placed over them. Apparently, the two sons of the prophet/judge Samuel were judges, but they did not follow the ways of the Lord, taking bribes and perverting judgment. The people were concerned that without Godly leadership, they would be subjected to being invaded and overtaken by the Ammonites and Philistines. So, they demanded of Samuel that a king be placed to rule over them. God reluctantly granted their request.

As previously discussed, God instructed Samuel to anoint Saul as king, and the on-resting Spirit came upon him. Scripture indicates that Saul had a relationship with God, but whether or not he would walk in the ways or directives of the Lord was at that point yet to be determined.

Gideon

And it came to pass the same night, that the Lord said unto him, Take thy father's young bullock, even the second bullock of seven years old, and throw down the altar of Baal that thy father hath, and cut down the grove that is by it: And build an altar unto the Lord thy God upon the top of this rock, in the ordered place, and take the second bullock, and offer a burnt sacrifice with the wood of the grove which thou shalt cut down. Then Gideon took ten men of his servants, and did as the Lord had said unto him: and so it was, because he feared his father's household, and the men of the city, that he could not do it by day, that he did it by night. (Judges 6:25-27)

But the Spirit of the Lord came upon Gideon, and he blew a trumpet; and Abi-ezer was gathered after him. (Judges 6:34)

And the Lord said unto Gideon, By the three hundred men that lapped will I save you, and deliver the Midianites into thine hand: and let all the other people go every man unto his place. (Judges 7:7)

During the time of the judges, the children of Israel were in the land of Canaan when the Midianites formed a coalition of nations to invade them, confiscating their crops at harvest time and stealing their livestock. Israel cried out to God for assistance and he sent them a prophet named Gideon, to whom an angel of the Lord appeared saying that the Lord was with him. The angel also called him a mighty man of valor and informed him that God would use him to fight the Midianites. It appears that Gideon had both a relationship and fellowship with God.

Before God sent Gideon against the Midianites, he was instructed to destroy his father’s altar to Baal, cutting down the trees surrounding it and building an altar to the Lord in its place. He used the wood to offer a burnt sacrifice. When the Midianites and coalition of nations gathered together against Israel, the Spirit of God came upon Gideon and they were defeated. It appears that even though Gideon had both relationship and fellowship with God, the on-resting Spirit did not come upon him until after he obeyed God’s instructions concerning destroying the altar of Baal.

Not everyone in the Old Testament who believed in God, received the on-resting Spirit. The Spirit could come upon a person who had a relationship with God, but who had not yet developed a fellowship (to follow God’s commandments, statutes, laws, and testimonies) with Him. In some cases, a person who had both a relationship and fellowship with God still might not receive the on-resting Spirit until certain directives were followed.

In the next chapter, we will attempt to answer the following question. If the on-resting Spirit was received and could be removed does this mean that the Old Testament saint would lose their salvation?



© 2020 rondo


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

30 Views
Added on January 16, 2020
Last Updated on January 16, 2020


Author

rondo
rondo

BLOCK ISLAND, RI



About
My name is James Rondinone. I am a husband, father, and spiritual leader. I grew up in Massachusetts and began my own spiritual journey early on in life. I attended bible college having completed a.. more..

Writing
PART 4 PRAYER PART 4 PRAYER

A Chapter by rondo