Shotokan Karate training

Shotokan Karate training

A Story by poetry-kiddo alienbaba
"

My name is Roque Lazarus, karateka 7th Kyu Orange belt in Shotokan Karate training with Sensei Joseph Rodrigues. I am part of a team of early-rising martial art students

"

                                                        


My name is Roque Lazarus, karateka 7th Kyu Orange belt in Shotokan Karate training with Sensei Joseph Rodrigues. I am part of a team of early-rising martial art students. We have been training at Basilio’s gym at Santa Inez Panaji Goa for almost Two years now. Our batch comprises women and men but adults only who are professionals in their own fields. Classes start at 6.15 am and end at 7.30 am. We are being tutored well in Shotokan Karate style by Sensei Joseph Rodrigues (Black Belt 5th Dan). Classes are held three times a week on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.  There are about 13 students, all adults in the batch. For the past two months the Gym is undergoing renovation and hence we have shifted to a temporary open air location.

We are now practicing at Miramar beach. Practically at the edge of the water where the river Mandovi and Zuari flow together into the Arabian sea which in turn amalgamates the Trinity into the great Indian Ocean some Nautical miles away. As the sampai starts our warm-up exercises, the initial grunts and snaps of aching bones give way to welcome sweat and inter-play of tension and relaxation of muscles and tendons and acts like a self-massage to one’s physique. The early morning beach experience has been really invigorating and we are feeling fresh all day after our exercises. For morning walkers and joggers on the beach, our classes are interesting to watch and with initially amused but later awed faces they watch the small army in white Gi’s dancing the ‘katas’ in synchronized momentum to the Sensei’s body as shades of White, Yellow, Orange, Purple, Browns and Black-Belts bend-air in slow gestures interspersed with quick moves, speedy punches and matching blocks,  hands and feet cutting across, replying to the rhythm of the waves of the Sea and  the tilted beach gradually descending into the waters make sure-footing a challenge when manipulating a Mayagiri front kick, Mavashigiri or a yokogiri kick… quite a feat to achieve in stability in the moving sands whilst shadow-fighting. ‘Kumite’ or combat (semi-contact) follows later as shrill cries (I personally visualize as ‘demons of sickness’ being cast out, expelled from the human body) of ‘Kyeeeahhhh’ shrieked out by the karatekas fill the atmosphere…relieving tensed minds and tired bodies, rebuilding tissue anew and giving a new meaning to life when all that one has been holding inside in silent anger, anguish and sorrow is vented our harmlessly giving total relief from worldly troubles and diseases. ..Freeing the mind…so it can focus on working out new successful pathways for life and its surprises.

The class ends with a quick line up and fast final set of punches and salutations to the Sensei, Sampai and each other. We go about our daily routine with a sense of well-being and tension-free mindset. (On rare occasions, as a celebration informal meeting, the whole dojo…all the students go out to a restaurant to savor snacks and tea/coffee as a fellowship get-together and not forgetting our annual dojo picnic too where we get to know each other better and talk and share stories and experiences.)


                                             


 Sensei Joseph also has an evening batch at Pharmacy College Courtyard Panjim Goa for students of all ages and grades. That is his main Dojo. Earlier Sensei Joseph Rodrigues has been training students at Don Bosco’s High School Gym Panaji Goa since 1984. Sensei Joe (fondly called by Goans) is also a professional Master of Ceremonies and Compeers a host of events in Goa and abroad. Presently, he is the administrator at Institute Camoes Panaji Goa. His hobbies include singing Karaoke and he was instrumental in starting the Cycling Club of Goa which has set a trend of using bicycles on Goan roads to improve health, ensure safety and de-congest traffic. The club holds regular outings to distant places even to neighboring Karwar in Karnataka State.

 

 

Sensei Joseph Rodrigues has trained a huge number of Goans in Karate and most of his Black Belts have won numerous awards in India and internationally. (He himself has won international awards and is invited frequently to referee matches all over the country and abroad). Some of his Gold medalists are now independent Instructors on their own, having their own Dojos affiliated to his own and others affiliated to various International Karate Federations.

He has organized many tournaments himself and some even at international level in Goa. Our students actively participate in competitions all over the country and the World and always come home with smiles, medals, certificates and make us feel proud of them and inspire in the rest the desire to carry on this unique martial arts style forward.

 Sensei Joe had trained initially with Sensei Choudary from Calcutta 6th Dan Black Belt who comes down to Goa occasionally to give master-classes and grace tournaments with his welcome presence. His short but precious visits generate great enthusiasm among our karate students and it helps boosts our self-esteem and love for the martial art.

International tournaments are a joy to behold as we get to meet and watch in action countless new karatekas, Sensei’s and Sampais from all over the country and the world who share our passion for Shotokan style.

Sensei Joe is always ready to encourage anyone who is keen to join his classes and gives great guidance for those seeking self-defense tips. Write in to know more.

His contact is: +91 9049915164

And Facebook link is https://www.facebook.com/joseph.rodrigues.984

*The writer is a professional musician and enthusiastic amateur karateka who has just passed his 7th Kyu Orange Belt exam on 17th May 2013 and hopes to take it to its logical conclusion.

Roque Lazarus +91 9970061060

Facebook id            www.facebook.com/roquelazarus

© 2013 poetry-kiddo alienbaba


Author's Note

poetry-kiddo alienbaba
If you are martial artists too or have been fascianted by watching those movies then please do share your views, likes, styles and experiences. Thank you:)
OS!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Nice description of a class in a dojo. I was in a Tae kwon do school when I was a lad. I loved it. I do bodybuilding now which is every bit as mentally demanding as martial arts training is. If you've never read it check out "Sun and Steel" by Yokio Mishima. It's a great little book by a controversial Japanese writer about being a hard core athlete.
Everyone who has a drive towards physical expression should read it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

poetry-kiddo alienbaba

10 Years Ago

Nice to have you write in Ricochet...Taekwondo appears to be a fast movement Kicg-boxing form as i h.. read more
poetry-kiddo alienbaba

10 Years Ago

and thx to you



Reviews

Nice description of a class in a dojo. I was in a Tae kwon do school when I was a lad. I loved it. I do bodybuilding now which is every bit as mentally demanding as martial arts training is. If you've never read it check out "Sun and Steel" by Yokio Mishima. It's a great little book by a controversial Japanese writer about being a hard core athlete.
Everyone who has a drive towards physical expression should read it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

poetry-kiddo alienbaba

10 Years Ago

Nice to have you write in Ricochet...Taekwondo appears to be a fast movement Kicg-boxing form as i h.. read more
poetry-kiddo alienbaba

10 Years Ago

and thx to you
Nope. not a martial artist and have no experiences to relate.
Just enjoyed reading the piece, that's all. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

poetry-kiddo alienbaba

10 Years Ago

:)
haha its ok Rogue...its good enough you read! Thankyou
Rogue

10 Years Ago

You are welcome. :)
Now I did play the heck out of some Street Fighter on Super Nintendo and M.. read more
poetry-kiddo alienbaba

10 Years Ago

Yes! If you can beat the heat out of a nintendo martial game then u have the required knack for the.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

885 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 18, 2013
Last Updated on May 19, 2013
Tags: ROQUE LAZARUS SHOTOKAN KARATE SE

Author

poetry-kiddo alienbaba
poetry-kiddo alienbaba

Shambala, North



About
whatsapp +91-9970061060 a faster way to reachout... This one is Alienbaba Rockstarmono Poetry-kiddo This one belongs to you and you are free to belong to anyone you please. This one resides in the.. more..

Writing