Perfect School

Perfect School

A Story by bookworm

It isn't rocket science to figure out that everyone have extinct capacities and ways of learning. One of America's most influential thinkers and writers, Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote in his essay Education about the education system's way of teaching students, " The college was to be the nurse and home of genius; but, though every young man is born with some determination in his nature, and is a potential genius; is at last to be one; it is, in the most, obstructed and delayed,and, whatever they may hereafter be, their senses are now opened in advance of their minds...These come in numbers to the college: few geniuses: and the teaching comes to be arranged for these many, and not for those few. Hence the instruction seems to require skillful tutors, of accurate and systematic mind, rather than ardent and inventive masters. Besides, the youth of genius are eccentric, won't drill, are irritable, uncertain, explosive, solitary, not men of the world, not good for every-day association. You have to work for large classes instead of the individuals; you must lower your flag and reef your sails to wait for the dull sailors.." There Emerson makes a good point of stating that not all students will learn the same way and at the same pace, those who are more advanced and caught up in the class are forced to wait and lose time for those students who are struggling to keep up and cause fellow classmates to waste time that could be utilized for acquiring knowledge by continuing with lessons. Also, teachers need to teach at the learning ability and pace of the student, teachers are there to assist the students educational needs in the classroom. The school will divide students into classrooms of fifteen to twenty-five students per class. Students who struggle in lessons and need more assistance in classroom work will be placed in class capacity of roughly fifteen students, where the teacher will teach at a pace where students are able to learn in and go more into detail of the lessons, who work one on one with the student efficiently. Class sizes will change depending on the class subject the pupil needs more help in. For those students who are mostly self learners, able to do their work on their own, and fall into the category of "genius" Emerson speaks of in his essay, will be in a larger size classroom of about twenty-five students, there the teacher will teach the lesson in a way that the pupil will innovate its way of thinking, help the pupil explore other avenues of learning and expand the knowledge, and be there if their assistance is needed and where all students are at the same pace. In an excerpt from a 2010 New York Times article, David Barboza interviewed an educator, "In an interview, Mr. Jiang said Chinese schools emphasized testing too much, and produced students who lacked curiosity and the ability to think critically or independently." To prevent such a thing, the student will be in control of what he/she wants to study in order to be who he/she wants to become in the future, whether it's an innovator, scientist, mathematician, doctor, carpenter, ect. they will be in control. As for testing goes, the method of calculating the progress of the scholar will depend on the student. Not all students are good at taking tests. There are various means of which educators can tell whether the scholar is learning what is being taught, such as evaluating all the homework the pupil has submitted in the class, projects, test scores, summative assessments, and conferences with the student can help determine the growth.

© 2012 bookworm


Author's Note

bookworm
Just something random on how to determine how students should be placed in school. I wrote this for a school assignment so I just post it on here for the hell of it (:

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

441 Views
Added on December 10, 2012
Last Updated on December 10, 2012
Tags: school, evaluation, students, teachers

Author

bookworm
bookworm

Cicero, IL



About
I always loved to write and read books. more..

Writing
White Lies White Lies

A Book by bookworm


New Life New Life

A Book by bookworm