chapter 3 once again

chapter 3 once again

A Chapter by Rose Elizabeth

Chapter Three: Once Again

That morning I woke up to my alarm clock at eight in the morning. I lazily swung my arm up to hit the power button. I rolled over a bit to look down at Laura still fast asleep. I laughed a little but then sat up quickly. With a groan I fell straight back and stared at the ceiling. What would a little more sleep hurt? I had a whole hour before I had to be at work. No! I have to get up! I sat up again and swung my legs out of bed, narrowly avoiding Laura’s head. I stretched, got up, and went to take a shower. When I got out Laura was awake.

“Good morning starshine!” she yawned.

“The earth says hello,” I giggled.

“What’s for breakfast?”

“I think pancakes are in order,” I laughed while finding my uniform and getting dressed.

“I’m glad I don’t have to go to work till this afternoon,” she yawned again.

“Where do you work now?” I laughed.

“Oh you know I still have that job at Charley’s,” she laughed throwing a pillow at me.

“Oh good, I see you’ve managed to keep this one longer than a week,” I laughed.

“Like Charley’s gona fire me! I’m his niece!” she shouted.

“I know, I know, I was just joking around,” I sighed, pulling on my black tennis shoes.

“What’s to joke about? I know I’m a lousy employee, there’s no reason to flaunt the fact that you’re so much better at working than me!” she shouted standing up now.

“I’m sorry,” I said sadly giving her a puppy dog face.

“Fine,” she sighed. She stretched and went back to bed, “I suppose I have to go when you leave.”

“You could come to work with me,” I sighed.

“Oh goody,” she faked enthusiasm.

“Well what do you want me to do?”

“I don’t know! I just tiered of the same places over and over again. Sometimes I just want to get away from it all you know?” she said wistfully.

“Yeah I do,” I sighed.

“There is a bright side I suppose,” she said thoughtfully.

“What?”

“We might see Stranger Boy again!” she laughed as I gave her an angry face.

“Come on, let’s go eat something,” I said between bared teeth.

“Fine, I suppose,” she giggled as I grabbed her hand and hoisted her up. We went down to the deserted kitchen where I found dad’s dirty dishes laying in the sink.

“Why on earth can’t he put the bloody dishes in the dishwasher!” I fumed.

“Come on, he’s a busy guy, with all those lives to save,” she patted me on the back.

“Yeah I know but it would take him five seconds at most to just put it away,” I whined as I picked them up and put them away.

“Well he did get in rather late last night and then he got up really early this morning,” she yawned.

“Would you like a soda sleepy head?” I sighed.

“Why yes I would!” she yawned again.

“Well you know where they are!” I laughed, “I’m not your maid.”

“Fine, no reason to be so mad,” she giggled going for the refrigerator.

“Can you hand me the milk,” I sighed.

“You know he loves you?” she said quietly.

“Who?”

“Your dad,” she whispered after a big gulp of soda.

“Yeah, why else would he keep me around,” I laughed sarcastically.

“He really does.”

“I know,” I pulled out the batter and equipment.

“He just doesn’t know how to show it.”

“Yeah, but that’s the problem,” I poured the ingredients together.

“At least you know he’ll always be here to take care of you,” she sighed and put her arm around my shoulder.

“I don’t even know that, he never lets me know what’s going on,” I sighed.

“But you know he loves you?”

“I suppose.”

“I can see it in the way he looks at you: absolute adoration,” she sighed and let me go. I started to drop the batter onto the skillet and she hoisted herself to sit on the counter.

“We eat off those you know?” I chuckled.

“Party pooper,” she muttered before jumping off.

“Want chocolate chips in these?” I laughed.

“Sure,” she got the chocolate chips out of the refrigerator.

“You know I love you too?” she giggled into my ear when she handed them off.

“Yeah,” I laughed as I pushed her away. She laughed wildly and sat at the dining room table.

“Could you finish these up I want to go check on Patrick,” I sighed.

“Sure,” she giggled. I went to the backdoor in the kitchen and walked out onto the small deck. Outside was a small fenced in yard and in that yard was my pet sheep dog Patrick.

“Here boy,” I called out and he came running. I sighed before reaching down and letting him lick me. I watched the clear blue sky and scrunched my eyes to the sun. After throwing the Frisbee a couple of times I pet him goodbye and walked back inside. Laura had a plate full of pancakes waiting for me.

“So how was your four legged boyfriend,” she teased.

“Just fine thank you,” I laughed back while staking a pancake and putting it on my plate. She stuck her tongue out at me. We ate quietly making an occasional joke but neither of us had enough energy to have a serious conversation.

We headed off for the bookstore together after she got dressed and I said goodbye to puppy. When we walked in the parking lot was pretty much deserted which was to be expected on a Saturday morning. The first thing she demanded when we got in was that I give her a frapachino, vanilla bean. I complied but demanded she pay me first like the rest of the customers. I watched as she walked off to one of the comfy chairs by the front windows and the magazines which I had wanted to sit in last night. I guess that was the advantage of being early, you get the good seat. I didn’t have long to think before someone else wanted something to drink and then I was joined by my coworker George.

George was an odd boy who played the saxophone in my school band. I didn’t know him all that well but from what I could tell he was very nice. He didn’t talk much but he was always courteous. I liked having him around especially when things got hectic. I don’t know where he found the time though, to play in the band and have a job and have good grades. For all I knew his grades might be suffering, it wasn’t my place to go asking him though.

Customer after customer came through but I couldn’t seem to get mystery guy off my mind. I kept on looking to the door wondering if he would come through. For several hours George and I did our intricate dance around the little kitchen area making drinks and microwaving muffins. Soon I didn’t have time to think about him as the lunch rush came through. I was serving one lady an espresso one moment and then I look up and George is taking the order of a one mystery dude. I almost dropped the cup when I realized.

“You ok?” George asked quietly, giving me a concerned look.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” I said quietly and then continued what I was doing. Mystery boy gave me a smile and a wink before he gave George his money. I kept my head down and gave the lady her drink. I started to make his frapachino when I noticed he was watching me thoughtfully. I kept my head down and avoided looking him as much as possible. I couldn’t avoid looking when I handed him his drink though. I reached across the counter and handed it to him. I felt his fingers wrap around and touch me before I release.

“Hey stranger!” he laughed. I looked at him shyly for a second and then walked off to prepare the next order. I quietly made a drink and got a sandwich for another customer. I went to hand them their order when I noticed him still standing there.

“Listen I don’t want to talk to you anymore! Go away!” I hissed over the counter.

“Come on, what’s the matter?” he chuckled, “we had a good talk yesterday, I want to see if we’ve still got it?”

“Got what?”

“Chemistry!” he laughed.

“Chemistry?” I laughed incredulously, “I don’t even know you!”

“That’s why we have to talk, so we get to know and trust each other,” he said smartly with a cocky grin.

“Look, I’m working, go bug some other innocent unsuspecting teenage girl!” I hissed at him.

“What if I don’t want some other innocent unsuspecting teenage girl? What if I want this innocent unsuspecting teenage girl?” he laughed but I could tell from his eyes he was serious. I looked back at the line and my heart skipped a beat.

 “Thanks now I’ve got all this to do in a short period of time,” I hissed.

“When do you get off?”

“What?”

“When do you get off?”

“Don’t worry about it,” I told him off before turning away. I rushed to finish with the last of the customers and was thankful when my break came around I saw him watching me from one of the tables. In a huff I walked over to his table, sat down and leaned across the table towards him.

“Look I don’t know what you want from me but you better quit watching me before I call the cops or get a restraining order,” I whispered.

“Why are you afraid of me?” he chuckled. I could see the answer mattered very much to him because of the curiosity and worry in his eyes.

“Why do you care so much about what I think of you?” I whispered back.

“I asked you first,” he smirked at me before leaning back and taking a sip of his drink, “I like the thought of you making me drinks.”

“It doesn’t matter if you asked first, this is a security matter and the only reason I made you a drink is because it’s my job! I get paid to do it.” It was a struggle to keep my voice down; I didn’t want any of our neighbors hearing this. I didn’t want anyone to know how idiotic I’d been in talking to a stranger.

“A security matter Mrs. President? What’s wrong with the security around here?” he laughed. I flinched as his loudness brought attention from surrounding tables.

“You!” I almost shouted. I cringed again when George looked our way curiously.

“Excuse me miss but I believe we ought to keep it down a bit,” he chuckled with a snide grin.

“You little rat,” I seethed quietly.

“I don’t see any reason for you not to trust me,” he sighed, turning sad.

“I don’t see any reason to trust you,” I whispered, not so angry anymore.

“How could I show you I’m a good guy?” he asked quietly.

“For starters you can tell me your name,” I whispered. The thought of putting a name to the face of my strange stalker sent chills down my spine. Or maybe there was a totally different reason I was excited.

“That’s right, you won’t be able to get a restraining order if you don’t know my name,” he chuckled.

“You’re not doing a good job of earning my trust,” I fumed. It was frustrating going in circles like this but I was glad no one was staring at us anymore.

“Alright, alright, I’ll tell you my name,” he laughed.

“Well?”

“William,” he sighed.

“Will?”

“Sure, if that’s what you like,” he laughed, “now I do believe you owe me a name,” he smiled. He was so sure that just because he gave me his name I would give him mine. I suppose that’s traditionally how things are supposed to go but I wasn’t about to give up my edge.

“I owe you nothing, if I understand this situation well enough you’re the one who wants something and I’m the one who has it. Therefore I’m the one giving commands,” I said with a merciless grin.

“Touché,” he laughed.

“Why do you want my trust so bad,” I said suddenly getting serious.

“Because I hate an unsolved puzzle,” he grinned.

“So do you get called stubborn a lot?”

“Something like that,” he sighed with a small smile.

“That’s a nice way of putting it,” I giggled, covering my mouth.

“Don’t you need something to eat?” he said suddenly.

“Oh shoot yes I do,” I jumped up and went to the counter. I was surprised greatly when he got up and followed. This guy really was a stalker.

“Hey George can I get a ham and cheese sandwich?”

“Why yes Lily I don’t see why not,” he chuckled. I went over to the receiving counter and waited. I was a little unnerved that he was standing right by me, almost touching me. I was stunned when I realized it wasn’t a scared nervous, it was an excited nervous. I closed my eyes and tried to focus on anything but his arm on mine.

“Why are your eyes closed,” I felt him whisper in my ear. I jerked away and opened my eyes wide.

“Get off of me,” I sighed.

“Aright I get it, personal space,” he sighed and rolled his eyes.

“Don’t role your eyes at me!” I shouted with a grin giving him a little punch on the shoulder.

“There’s the girl I met last night,” he cheered. I rolled my eyes now and grabbed my sandwich from George.

“Is this guy giving you trouble?” he muttered.

“No, I can handle him,” I smiled but then added under my breath, “I think.”

“Why don’t we go sit down somewhere to eat,” Will sighed as he grabbed my arm.

“Why don’t you bugger off,” I whispered as he dragged me back to where he was sitting.

“Aw, I love you too,” he smirked.

“Shut up!” I giggled. We sat down and I started eating.

“Any good?” he chuckled as the melted cheese in a line from my mouth.

“Of course it is, George made it,” I snickered through my mouthful.

“Oh and who is George to you,” he smiled slightly, “is he your boyfriend,” he chuckled.

“No!” I shouted almost too loud. I flinched while I looked around to see who was looking at us.

“Why do you keep checking everyone around us?” he said curiously, “Why do you care what they think.”

“I don’t give a damn what they think,” I said proudly, I watched with pride as he did a mental double take at my choice of words. I let that sink in and then went on, “I’m just afraid someone will tell on me for talking to a stranger, especially a stranger boy.”

“Oh so is that my nick name?” he smiled after processing what I said, “Stranger boy?”

“If that’s ok with you,” I sighed.

“What’s happening to us, we used to be so open,” he said mockingly looking towards the windows.

“I don’t even know you!” I sort of shouted.

“I’m well aware of that.” he sighed getting annoyed, “We can’t go two minutes without you saying it. Now is there any way we could get past this whole stranger thing, perhaps get to know each other.”

“What if I don’t want to know you,” I muttered.

“I know you do,” he said with a voice laced with charm.

“How?”

“I can see it in your eyes,” he whispered.

“That’s funny,” I chuckled.

“Wha…” he started with a confused face.

“It’s time to go back to work,” stuttered George who was now hanging over the both of us.

“Just a second George,” I muttered as I took one last bite of my sandwich.

“Won’t you at least tell me your name?” he asked quickly as I stood up. He stood up and almost grabbed my hand and would have if George weren’t in the way. I made my way to the garbage can and he made to follow but George stopped him.

“Is this guy bothering you?” he asked quietly.

“He’s fine,” I turned and gave him a small smile and then muttered to myself, “for now.”

“See, I’m fine,” muttered Will as he knocked George’s hand away and came to stand behind me. “Now about that name…” he said like a sly fox.

“I get off at five,” I turned and smiled at him, “Why don’t we talk then?”

“Good stuff,” he smiled but he still followed me to the counter.

“Why don’t you find something else to occupy your time besides staring at me, it creeps me out,” I sighed as I put my apron on.

“Oh so that’s what creeps you out,” he laughed.

“Shut up,” I mutter as I went to the register to await the next customer. He laughed but walked away. I sighed as I watched him walk into the rows of books instead of the front doors.

“That was the guy!” I heard someone scream suddenly and the next thing I knew Laura was in front of me again.

“Laura, what… were you watching us!” I shouted.

“No! Well I was…”

“You were either watching us or you weren’t which is it?” I said menacingly.

“Well I guess I was sort of eaves dropping,” she muttered, “but boy was it worth it! Now we can dissect everything he said like the girls we are!” she squealed.

“No we will not!” I sputtered.

“Oh come on don’t be such a downer!” she said getting serious now.

“I’m not a downer I just don’t want to talk about him,” I sighed.

“Did you get his name at least?”

“What you didn’t hear?” I asked sarcastically.

“I hadn’t come in for that part,” she said sheepishly.

“Yes, his name is William,” I sighed.

“Just William?” she asked a little puzzled.

“Yes, what were you expecting?” I asked suspiciously.

“More, maybe,” she rolled her eyes, “You better get to the rest of your customers, we’ll talk latter.”

“I’m meeting up with him after my shift, can you get a ride home,” I sighed.

“Hm?” she was surprised at first then, “Oh, yeah, have fun,” she forced a smile and walked away.

“Talk to you later,” I said weakly hoping she wasn’t too upset.

With a sigh I turned and started to work on what I’d neglected. I saw George eating alone and wondered what he was thinking about. I was relieved when the line went away and soon I was back to having no one. At four George and I relaxed and made ourselves something to drink and were watching the drink machine when he suddenly tried to start talking which shocked me a little.

“So who was that guy?” he asked nervously.

“Just some guy I guess,” I said a little shyly myself.

“Oh,” was all he said.

“He just started talking to me but I haven’t had the heart to cut him off yet,” I said with a small smile.

“I could tell him off,” he said quickly.

“What?” I said because I didn’t believe I’d just heard what I’d just heard.

“I could get him to leave you alone,” he said quietly.

“Oh,” I said a little taken aback, “no, he’s not hurting anything.”

“Oh, ok,” he sighed and looked away at the floor.

The rest of the time went without anything exciting happening. I grabbed a bagel before heading out to the front doors. I tried to convince myself that I would just head towards my car, not caring if he caught me or not but I couldn’t seem to help but go slow as I reached for the door handles.

“Let me get that miss,” he laughed as he put his hand over mine and pulled the door open for me. I smiled slightly but went for the next door. “No, let me get that one too, less you have to tell me off again,” he laughed as he opened the next one and rolled his eyes.

“Alright, why are you being so nice to me?” I sighed as we both stood a few feet away from the door. We were stopped facing each other.

“What a guy can’t be nice to a girl, show some manners?” he laughed faking offense.

“You could be trying to get something,” I said hotly.

“I am,” he said proudly pushing out his chest, “I happen to be seeking the name of one beautiful creature who won’t listen to her heart.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I huffed as I brushed past him and started walking up the strip mall.

“Sure you do,” he laughed as he spun around and looped his arm through mine.

“Honestly, you’ve got the wrong girl,” I sighed looking down sadly.

“How do you know if you’ve never tried,” he sighed sadly, “You know you can be anything you want if you work hard enough.”

“What are you saying,” I said madly stopping and yanking my arm away, “Start from the beginning: what do you mean I’m not listening to my heart?”

“Who said I was talking about you?” he laughed. For a second my heart fluttered but then I remembered myself.

“Quit playing games with me,” I seethed, “if you want me to trust you you’ve got to start answering my questions.” I knew it was unfair to expect him to answer my questions when I wouldn’t give him even my name but he was the one who wanted this.

“Fine,” he sighed and my eyes widened, “I know you want to tell me your name, I know you want to know me, I just know.”

“How?” I asked incredulously.

“I just have a feeling,” he shrugged looking at the ground, “Just the way you look so intensely at me or how you’re so wrapped up in how I answer a question.”

“Oh,” I sighed not knowing what else to say.

“Yeah,” he sighed back, “So will you tell me your name now?” he said hopefully.

“No!” I shouted, “What’s with the whole ‘you can be anything you want’ speech?”

“I just don’t want you to be discouraged,” he smirked.

“Why?”

“Because you might just be the right girl but we’ll never know until you try,” he sighed.

“That’s real cheap,” I chuckled.

“I know, I feel bad just saying it,” he smiled towards me.

“As long as you don’t force me,” I sighed not believing myself.

“Awesome!” he yelled his whole face lighting up more than I’d seen it before, “So your name my angel?”

“Lily…” I whispered.

“Lily,” he sighed lovingly.

“You can’t do that either!” I laughed while giving him another play punch.

“So my beautiful Lily,” he laughed holding out his arm again, “What shall we do tonight?”

“Dinner, I think,” I laughed as I wrapped my arm around his.

“Good, do you know where?”

“Yes actually I know exactly where we should go,” I giggled.

“Great so how are we getting there?” he sighed.

“Oh shoot,” I cursed and brought us to a stop. There was no way I was riding or driving in the car with a complete stranger.

“I could drive,” he suggested in a way that made me think he knew he was going to fail.

“No! I will not get into the car of a complete stranger!”

“See, there we go again, we have already established I’m a stranger,” he sighed dropping my arm and flailing his arms about, “Now how are we going wherever we’re going?”

“Do you know Charley’s place?” I wondered calmly.

“Sure I do, is that where you want to eat?” he said almost confused.

“Yep, my friend works there,” I said excitedly.

“Oh so you’re fine telling me where your friend works but you can’t give me a simple name,” he mocked anger.

“Shut up!” I laughed punching him again.

“What is that, your trade mark?” he laughed, “Do you go around waking people and telling them to shut up?”

“Stop it!” I laughed, “Now how are we getting there?” I sighed.

“We’ll meet up,” he said breathily.

“Fine, we leave from here and meet up there?” I said checking what I’d heard.

“Exactly,” he grinned.

“Well I’ll see you in a moment then,” I sighed as I started walking away.

“Ahem?” I heard him clear his throat behind me.

“What?” I asked dramatically spinning around.

“I thought you might like to know that your car is the other way,” he said holding back laughter.

“Oh shoot,” I muttered and started back that way, “Wait how do you know where I parked?”

“I have my ways,” he winked and grinned before turning around and walking away. I shuddered before walking to my car.



© 2010 Rose Elizabeth


Author's Note

Rose Elizabeth
please

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Amy
:-)

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

161 Views
1 Review
Added on July 7, 2010
Last Updated on July 7, 2010


Author

Rose Elizabeth
Rose Elizabeth

AL



About
I'm a chocoholic who loves to laze around. Thankfully I'm not fat yet! I suck at grammer and spelling so please don't insult me for it! I love music and movies and I totaly think school is a dra.. more..

Writing
trial trial

A Story by Rose Elizabeth


Capture Capture

A Chapter by Rose Elizabeth