chapter 4 getting to know you

chapter 4 getting to know you

A Chapter by Rose Elizabeth

Chapter 4: Getting to Know You

As I drove out of the shopping center parking lot the first thing I noticed was a silver Lexus pulling out not far away. I tried to ignore the nagging sensation in my chest but I knew it had to be him. My suspicions were confirmed when the two of us pulled up to the red light to go back onto the main road. We were stopped right next to each other. He grinned and waved while I tried to keep a straight face and drive on. It was about seven when I got to the parking lot. I parked and waited but I didn’t see him. I felt sort of torn up inside and panicked. I went inside and told the hostess, Chloe, I would need seating for one. She led me to a secluded table for two and gave me a menu.

“I don’t need it,” I grinned.

“The usual I suspect?” she grinned back wider.

“Yes please,” I giggled.

Chloe was a real nice girl about the same age as me. She went to school with me but we weren’t very tight there. Here Laura, Chloe, and me would have the best of times joking around like we were the greatest friends on earth but when we saw each other at school Chloe wouldn’t even acknowledge our presence. She was one of those preppy girls who liked to sneak out and drink and smoke. She had a beautifully small body and nice sized b***s and perfectly straight blond hair just like all her other friends.

“Lily! You’re here!” I hear Laura squeal as she came to sit with me.

“Of course, where else would I eat my dinner,” I giggled.

“Where’s mystery guy?” she asked looking confused.

“Right here,” he laughed as he sauntered over and leaned on Laura’s chair, “This must be the friend you were talking about?” he asked my with a cocky grin.

“You were talking about me?” Laura squealed.

“Laura why don’t you get back to work,” I sighed.

“Alright I get it,” she sighed as she got up, “I’m not wanted, well you two enjoy yourselves as I go toil away,” she said sarcastically as she slowly rounded the corner. Chloe passed her and gave me my soda.

“Well who have we here?” she said dreamily as she eyed Will.

“No one!” I said quickly taking a sip of soda.

“Doesn’t look like no one,” she muttered, “What can I get you to drink?” she said sweetly to him.

“Ice tea I think,” he sighed, “and I’ll need a menu.”

“Alright, I’ll be right back,” she sighed. I watched as she rounded the corner.

“Why weren’t you there when I got there?”

“Excuse me?” he chuckled.

“Why didn’t you get here at the same time I did?”

“I had some business to handle,” he said nervously.

“I see,” I sighed as I rolled my eyes, “My dad would kill me if he knew I was here with you.”

“Why?”

“Do I have to say it again?”

“Alright besides the obvious reasons why would he be upset?”

“For starters he’d say your hairs longer than mine,” I huffed as I reached for another sip of my soda.

“My hairs not longer than yours,” he laughed.

“I know, that just goes to show how well he knows me,” I sighed putting my drink back down.

“Dad issues too I see,” he sighed.

“You could say that,” I huffed.

“Want to talk about it?”

“I guess….”

“Here’s your drink darling, and a menu,” Chloe said cheerfully.

“Thank you,” he said curtly.

“Need anything else?”

“We’re fine thank you,” he said hardly looking at her. She walked away looking slightly hurt.

“What was that about?” I chuckled without humor.

“She was being a bit too doting for my liking,” he smiled coldly.

“Like your mother,” I whispered to myself.

“What?” he said harshly.

“Nothing,” I sighed looking at my hands in my lap.

“You said like my mother,” he said sadly.

“If you heard why did you ask?” I faked a laughed.

“I’d rather we not talk about my mother,” he sighed.

“Why don’t you want to talk about your mother?” I said hotly.

“Why don’t you want to talk about your mother?” he snapped back.

“Because at least you have a mother to talk about,” I said incredulously standing up and making for the bathroom. I felt his hand grab my upper arm.

“Wait, why don’t we just not talk about our families ok, just about ourselves,” he said hopefully.

“I’m going to the bathroom,” I said sadly before yanking away.

“Oh,” he sighed, “Come back please.” His eyes fell back to the table.

I almost ran to the bathroom and flung open the door. I went to the sink and turned the hot water knob before leaning over the basin. I hated talking about what happened to my mother. My dad couldn’t even talk about it and it had already been eight years since. Laura said that different people take different amounts of time to heal, that there was absolutely nothing wrong with me but I didn’t want to feel this pain anymore. I wanted to move on. I didn’t enjoy crying when I watched other mothers hugging their children or mothers at school whose children didn’t feel like coming and spending even that vital amount of time with their mothers. I always felt like I was in some hallmark movie or after school special as the tears ran down my face.

“Hey Lily, what’s wrong,” I heard Laura’s soft voice from the door. I looked up and she came and put her arms around me.

“I don’t know why I still cry whenever I remember her,” I cried through the tears as I embraced her back.

“Hey, it’s ok, cry all you want,” she whispered into my hair.

“Thanks Laura,” I hiccupped regaining myself. “You’re always there when I need you,” I smiled.

“That’s what best friends are for,” she whispered with a weak smile.

“Thanks, really,” I whimpered as I cleared the tears from my eyes.

“Here, let’s clean you up a bit,” she sighed as she got a paper towel, wet it and dabbed at my cheeks.

“I hope he doesn’t think I’m a wacko,” I sighed.

“Does it matter?” she smiled, “I thought he was just a stranger?”

“I guess we’re not really strangers after we’ve talked so much,” I sighed.

“Ha,” she puffed.

“Alright I guess I ought to go talk to him before he runs off,” I sighed.

“Good luck,” she giggled. I took one more look at her before exiting the door. As I walked back to the table I noticed Chloe and Will were awful close to each other.

“Well, well, well, what have we here?” I sighed as I went around to my chair.

“Oh I was just taking his order,” Chloe said quickly.

“Yes she was,” he said with a grimace.

“Well I would go turn that order in,” I snapped when she didn’t move to leave.

“Right,” she snapped as she gave me a dirty look and then walked away.

“Alrighty then,” I sighed as I sat down again. He gave me a little smile, “What?” I snapped defensively

“Is alrighty a word?” he chuckled.

“In Ace Ventura it is,” I giggled.

“Oh so you know where that quote came from,” he smirked while squeezing the lemon over his tea.

“Yes, for your information I do,” I said matter of factly.

“You like that guy?” he huffed.

“I find him funny,” I sighed.

“Interesting,” he laughed. Out of the corner of my eye I caught Chloe on her way with food.

“What did you get?” I asked.

“Cheese burger,” he sighed.

“Club sandwich,” I laughed.

“Yum,” he raised his eyebrows as his food was laid in front of him.

“Charley is the best,” I smiled.

“I’ll give your complements to the chef,” Chloe smiled as she gave me my food.

“Tell him Lily says hello,” I laughed back at her. She gave me a small smile and then turned to give Will an obnoxiously cheesy grin.

“Need anything honey?” she asked nicely.

“Some privacy would be nice,” he sighed picking up a French fry and then giving her an evil eye.

“Fine then,” she muttered under her breath and I fought back a smile. She rounded the corner and I let out a loud laugh.

“That was interesting,” he sighed.

“She’s weird that way,” I giggled.

“I see,” he sighed with a frown then stuck the fry in his mouth, “This place isn’t very crowded.”

“I know, we get the whole place to ourselves,” I smiled, “not many people know about this place.”

“I suppose it’s ok,” he whispered as he took a bite of his burger, “Oh wow,” he said through a mouthful, “this is good, this is really good.”

“That’s why I come,” I laughed as I took a bite of my own sandwich.

“Oh so it’s not because your best friend works here,” I heard Laura laugh as she rounded the corner.

“Oh Will I guess it’s about time I introduce you to my best friend Laura, Laura this is Will,” I said as I stood up and motioned to them.

“Hello stranger boy,” she laughed as she put her hand in his. Without warning he pulled her hand up to his lips and kissed her hand. I felt a shock wave run through my body.

“What’s wrong?” he asked jokingly.

“Nothing,” I mumbled as I blushed and sat down.

“Just being a gentleman,” he sighed as he straightened up, “Would you like to sit down?” he asked nicely offering the chair.

“No, I have to get back to work,” she smiled, “I just wanted to introduce myself.”

“Well it was nice to meet you,” she sighed and after giving me a wink she turned and walked away.

“She seems… energetic,” he chuckled as he took another bite.

“Yeah, that’s an understatement,” I sighed as I took a bite of my sandwich, “I mean she’s a great person and a wonderful friend but sometimes she can be a little overwhelming.”

“Nice,” he sighed. We ate in silence for a few minutes. “So do you have any more plans for this afternoon?” he asked after swallowing.

“Nope. What about you?”

“Nada,” he chuckled, “Want to hook up?”

“With you,” I giggled, “I don’t think so.”

“What’s wrong with me?” he asked with raised eyebrows.

“Don’t make me say it again,” I laughed.

“I keep telling you we’re not strangers, we’ve introduced ourselves and now I know two of your friends.

“Yes but there’s still so much like…” I paused to think, “what school do you go to and do you have a job and…”

“Alright, alright, I go to Huntsville High,” he smiled.

“Well then I can’t even be at the same table as you,” I said smartly as I stood up.

“Why?” he asked looking amused and confused at the same time.

“Because I go to Grissom and do not associate with such low life as those who go to such an inferior institution for learning,” I said snobbishly as I started to walk away.

“Now wait just a second,” he said angrily, “why on earth does it matter what…” he broke off when he saw me laughing and holding onto the wall for support.

“I was just joking, calm down,” I gasped between laughs.

“Well come sit back down,” he sighed motioning for my chair. I laughed a little more and then sat back down.

“So what’s it like at the infamous HHS,” I giggled before I took another bite of sandwich.

“Oh come on, it’s a high school just like Grissom,” he sighed sitting back and stretching, “it’s got some new parts and some great students and athletes and then some not so great students and athletes and then everyone in between.”

“What classes are you taking?” I laughed and ate some more sandwich.

“I don’t see why it matters,” he sighed and rolled his eyes.

“Tell me,” I grinned.

“You go first,” he said shyly.

“Fine, I am not ashamed,” I giggled, “AP physics, Algebra II/Trig, English 11, American history, French 3, Cooking, and Parenting.”

“Parenting, is there something you’re not telling me?” he asked in mock suspicion.

“NO!” I shouted my eyes popping out, “I was supposed to take photography but last minute they changed it to where you had to take fundamentals of art so they just shuffled everyone who didn’t qualify into accounting or parenting. I got in accounting but I didn’t want another math class so I went to the guidance counselor and the only other thing that was open was parenting. So I figured what the hey, all girls want kids at one point, might as well learn what to do with them.”

“Sounds like you’ve told this story before,” he laughed. I rolled my eyes and ate the last of my sandwich.

“Now you have to tell me what you’re taking,” I smirked tapping his leg with my foot. He jumped a little but strangled the surprise before it could decorate his face.

“Fine,” he sighed, “Chemistry, theater 2, independent study for art, French 3, AP language and composition, and unified geometry.”

“That’s a pretty good work load, why didn’t you want to tell me,” I said concernedly.

“I’m not that great at school,” he sighed with a raise of his eyebrows as he looked away.

“Neither am I,” I huffed.

“Says miss AP physics,” he chuckled.

“My dad will kill me if I’m less than perfection so I tend to do the minimum,” I sighed.

“I wish you’d tell me more about your dad,” he said wistfully leaning back in his chair.

“Maybe another time,” I said with forced cheerfulness.

“How late can you be out?”

“I should probably head home,” I sighed.

“When do you have to be home?”

“Officially nine unless I have permission so if you’ll excuse me,” I said as I stood up and made to walk away

“We’ve got a good hour,” he tried as he grabbed my arm.

“Well what did you have in mind?” I asked with a sigh.

“I don’t know, maybe a walk?” he said hopefully.

“Maybe next time,” I sighed.

“Why not this time?”

“Because we’ve learned enough about each other for one day,” I hissed.

“Ok, ok, I get the point, I’ll see you later,” he sighed and looked away.

“Yeah, you too,” I whispered and walked away. With a sigh I went to my car and headed home.

When I got home I was glad to see dad’s car in the garage. I hoped up the front steps and into the entrance hall. I looked to my left and then to my right. Dad wasn’t there so I went to the kitchen and found him leaning over a counter chopping carrots to put in the stir fry that was sizzling on the stove.

“Hey dad what’s up?” I said cheerfully.

“Oh hey sweety, I was about to get worried,” he chuckled hardly looking up and giving me a wave with the knife, “I’m just making dinner.”

“Stir fry again?” I wondered excitedly.

“I know you like the shrimp kind,” he said softly.

“I do.” Silence fell in the room for a while. “But I kind of already ate,” I sighed.

“Oh, well that’s ok,” he smiled at me, “More for me.”

“Enjoy that,” I smiled back, “How’s work, you didn’t get home till late last night?”

“Oh, there was a bad wreck on Bailey Cove, that’s a fast road, you need to be careful when driving that fast.”

“I know, dad, you’ve told me a thousand times.”

“Repetition is good for the memory.”

“Then I must be a safety genius,” I sighed and rolled my eyes. He tried to fight off a smirk.

“Safety is not something to joke about, now will you be a good girl and get a plate for me?”

“Yes papa,” I sighed.

“Good girl,” he chuckled. I got a plate from the cabinet and handed it to him.

“I’m not a dog,” I gave a small grin.

“I know,” he said soft and serious. He was watching me with both our hands on the plate. I blinked and let go. With a small smile he went back to his food.

“Not going to eat alone I hope?” I asked as he went for the dining room.

“You don’t have to come sit with me if you really don’t want to, the Times will keep me company,” he put on a fake smile.

“No dad, I want to spend some time with you,” I sighed as I followed.

The dining room was a cramped little room behind his study. There was only a small table and three chairs. There was only one light source which was a small, low hanging ceiling light. In the middle of the table were a stack of papers, a book, and the salt and pepper shakers in the shape of two fat cats holding fish.

“So how have you been? We haven’t had a chance to talk in a while.”

“Oh just fine, physics has been beating the cra…” I started but stopped myself when he gave me a dirty look, “me up.”

“Well if you need help you need to talk to the teacher,” he sighed picking up the paper.

“I know, but I don’t want to ask too much, I mean if I have to ask all these questions she may think I don’t belong there.”

“Sweet heart that’s what teachers are there for, and don’t you ever think you don’t belong in that class, you are the most brilliant child I know,” he lectured while picking up the newspaper and reading the front. I put my head on the table and cursed the homework I’d have that week. “You need to get more sleep baby,” he sighed.

“Yes, I think I’ll go take care of that,” I said angrily jumping up from the table and making my way to my room.

I knew I couldn’t get mad at him but you think he could find something positive to say in the few minutes we spent together. I flopped on my bed and looked around the room. The walls were covered with posters and pictures and a bulletin board filled with pictures of me and Laura. The bed had a soft quilt on it and for regular sized pillows. Other than that there was a small bedside table with a lamp and alarm clock and books and other random stuff coving it, there was a chest of drawers, two bookshelves and a desk with a swivel chair.

After everything that happened that day and then staying up half the night last night I fell fast asleep. My dreams were invaded by nightmares of everything William could be.



© 2010 Rose Elizabeth


Author's Note

Rose Elizabeth
please

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Amy
u have a lot of talent chicka!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

248 Views
1 Review
Added on July 7, 2010
Last Updated on July 7, 2010


Author

Rose Elizabeth
Rose Elizabeth

AL



About
I'm a chocoholic who loves to laze around. Thankfully I'm not fat yet! I suck at grammer and spelling so please don't insult me for it! I love music and movies and I totaly think school is a dra.. more..

Writing
trial trial

A Story by Rose Elizabeth


Capture Capture

A Chapter by Rose Elizabeth