chapter 6 fair weather friends

chapter 6 fair weather friends

A Chapter by Rose Elizabeth

Chapter 6 Fair-weather Friends

He stood up and offered me his hand. I accepted grudgingly.

“I suppose we should go meet up with your friends,” he sighed as he walked away.

“They aren’t my friends,” I said grudgingly staring at his heels in front of me.

“Oh?”

“They’re Laura’s… well actually they’re her boyfriend’s friends,” I sighed.

“Sort of like fair weather friends?”

“Hm?” I asked a little confused.

“You know sunshine soldier, fair weather friend… there when everything is good and gone the second things take a turn for the worst,” he said weakly.

“I suppose… but they aren’t really her friends at all, she just cooperates with them so she can be with Joey,” I sighed.

“Why?” he turned and gave me a weird look.

“I don’t know,” I laughed as he began walking backwards, “because she has this idea stuck in her head that she needs a man to love her,” I said more bitterly.

“It’s not such a bad idea,” he whispered seductively as he raised an eyebrow and cracked a cocky smile.

“Alright Will if you’re one of those sexist boys who thinks that a girls whole life should revolve around the boy she’s with then you can just forget about little old me,” I sighed pushing past him.

“I would never force you into anything and I would never put you under me…” he laughed catching up to me, “unless you wanted to be there.”

“You little,” I muttered as I play wacked him on the shoulder.

“Me little what?” he laughed trying unsuccessfully to dodge my blow.

“Shut up,” I giggled unable to stop myself, “you know what I mean.”

“Oh Lily, I’m so glad you’re back!” I heard Laura squeal as we approached the food court.

“How was lunch?” I sighed.

“Fine,” she pursed her lips, “Yours?” she asked a little more excited.

“Wonderful,” I sighed as I rolled my eyes to look back at Will. He gave me a small smirk.

“Great, well Joey wants to go see a movie,” she said nervously not looking at either of us until she excitedly gushed at us, “Will you guys come with?”

“Of course,” Will was only too happy to oblige as he put his arm around my shoulder. I wasn’t so sure though. The thought of sitting in a dark theater with him made me anxious. Then I thought about how Joey treated her and it was no wonder she wanted some company.

“What are we seeing?” I asked grudgingly.

“I don’t know, we’ll see when we get there,” she beamed before running off.

“You’re not going to ride with that guy again are you?” Will asked suddenly cautious.

“What choice do I have?” I huffed while crossing my arms on my chest.

“Ride with me,” he ordered. I was taken aback by his earnest voice and scorching eyes, he wanted me to trust him so bad.

“I suppose if I go missing they’ll know when I don’t show up at the theater,” I said quietly.

“Good,” he grinned.

“Lucky you,” I sighed.

“Let’s go,” he smiled.

“I want to make sure we’re going to the right theater,” I sighed as I walked over to where Laura was.

“We’re going to the rave,” she smiled as I walked on over, “try to have some fun.”

“You planned this didn’t you,” I seethed playfully.

“How was I supposed to know he would be here?” she asked innocently.

“You started plotting when you saw him on the parkway or when you saw him walking around in the mall!” I accused, “You saw him and purposefully walked us in front of him and then you planned to abandon us together.”

“Well I never,” she sighed dramatically as she hopped up from her chair.

“You at least planned for us to go off together alone even if it was last minute,” I sighed.

“Yeah because I can totally feel it with you two, it’s like you fit together,” she giggled, “You act different around him than you have with any guy.” I thought about it for a moment and then looked back at him. He was in black slacks again but this time he had on a blue button up dress shirt. His hair hung in his eyes and he leaned so casually against a wall. I looked at the ground, closed my eyes, and then looked at my friend.

“I suppose you’re right…” I sighed.

“See!”

“Hey, it’s just me acting different it doesn’t mean I like him or anything!” I exclaimed as I walked back towards him.

“Yeah it does! I see the way you two flirt with each other!” she laughed and shouted behind me as I walked away, “Quit denying it!”

“Laura!” I heard Joey shout, “Quit shouting you’re embracing me. I hear him mutter in her ear as he grabs her arm and walks her away.

“What’s with them?” Will asked curiously squinting his eyes in the direction of the couple.

“Oh he’s just asserting his dominance over her,” I shrugged, “she’ll be fine.”

“But it looks like…”

“I know but if you try to do anything about it she gets really upset.”

“Are you sure?” he asked uneasily.

“I pray,” was all I could say as we started off towards the entrance.

“Are you sure we can’t do anything about it?”

“Just let it go,” I whispered as we left the mall.

“Fine,” he sighed back.

“Where did you park?”

“Do you know what car I drive?” he whispered in my ear as he brushed his fingers along my arms.

“No,” I whispered with a shiver.

“Then let me show you,” he whispered as he took my hand and led me out to the parking lot. Just as I suspected it was a silver lexis.

“Nice,” I sighed as he opened the passenger seat for me.

“That it is,” he smirked as he went around to his seat.

“Did your parents get it for you?” I asked.

“I thought we agreed not to talk about relatives?”

“I thought that was a truce for last night,” I said sharply as I turned to stare at him expectantly.

“My mother helped,” he sighed starting the engine.

“That whole smother you thing worked out good for once?” I gave a humorless laugh.

“You could look at it that way,” he sighed.

“Don’t you think it’s time we talked about this?” I sighed watching as we

“You go first,” he smiled sarcastically at me.

“Just drive,” I huffed as he pulled out. It was a silent drive to the theater. When we got there I was worried because not only had I not seen Laura leave, I also didn’t see them here.

“What are you so tense about?” he sighed as we walked up to the building.

“I don’t see them,” I muttered turning around to search the crowd.

“Don’t worry about it, let’s go see what’s playing,” he said cheerfully pulling me along.

“No,” I shouted as I pulled my arm back, “I’m waiting for Laura. Besides Joy will choose the movie.”

“Why don’t you choose the movie,” he whispered as he slipped his arm around my neck.

“Get off!” I shouted while spinning around, “How dare you pull me around like that!” I huffed as I started to walk away.

“Lily!” he shouted. I kept walking away off towards the cars.

“Go away!”

“Where are you going? The people are this way!” he laughed.

“Shut up Will! I’m worried ok!” I shouted running back up to him and getting in his face so our bodies were only inches apart before whispering menacingly, “I’m sick with worry whenever I’m away from her! She’s so crazy I never know if she’s o. I try to tell her to stay away from that bully but she gets some sick thrill out of being dominated. Every time she goes off with him I… I go crazy! I never want anything to hurt her! The only reason I lost her is because you distracted me so thank you!” I stomped off towards the building and barged into the entrance and looked for the movies playing.

“Would you like me to go look for them?” he asked aggravated brushing my arm with his hand again.

“Where would you look,” I sighed hopelessly.

“I’d drive back to the mall… look around the lot… you could call her,” he whispered.

“I suppose,” I sighed, closed my eyes and reached for my phone.

“Hello?” she asked questioningly with a little gasp.

“Laura where are you?”

“Look Joey decided to go get some ice cream first and then Anna decided to go to Forever 21 and then Lee wants to go by target and get some snacks,” she sighed.

“And you couldn’t call and tell me where you went, I was worried sick,” I whispered urgently.

“Sorry I didn’t know a few seconds would make the difference,” she said offended, “besides I didn’t tell you to go so soon.”

“Well,” I said in shock.

“Oh come on, we’re just messing around, we have all day to see a movie,” she huffed.

“Just call me when you’re done,” I sighed.

“Cool, ttyl,” she giggled and hung up.

“So what’s up?” he whispered as I shoved the phone back in my pocket.

“They’ve been delayed,” I sighed.

“What do we want to do now?” he smiled.

“Well we can’t very well hang out here can we?”

“And why not?” he laughed.

“You want to?” I asked confused.

“No reason to move, they’ll be here in a bit,” he smiled as he leaned against a wall and sank to the floor.

“So we’re just going to sit on the floor and wait,” I laughed as I sank down beside him.

“I am, you can if you like,” he smiled.

“What do we do?”

“Talk.”

“About what?”

“Hm… safe subjects… why don’t you have a boyfriend?” he said suddenly.

“I don’t really know a lot of boys,” I said a little self consciously, looking down at my hands in my lap.

“Do you want one?” he was looking at me, I could feel it and before I could stop myself the red filled my cheeks.

“I don’t see how that’s any of your business,” I snapped.

“What if I want to be your boyfriend, then I have to know why you don’t have one and adjust myself accordingly,” he laughed.

“I don’t want to force it,” I sighed, “When the guy’s right I’ll just let it happen.”

“Will you?” he whispered. I didn’t answer his question but instead stared at the machine giving preordered tickets beside me. “Live a little,” he laughed.

“Why are you doing this?” I whispered to the machine.

“Excuse me, I didn’t hear,” he laughed. I turned around and he was inches away.

“Why are you around me like this? Why would you want to be my boyfriend?”

“Because Lily, you’re very beautiful and endearing and…” he looked out the window as he said it, “there’s just something about you… so light… like flying.” He turned back and gave me a smile.

“You sound like a pedophile to me,” I giggled. He rolled his eyes and looked away.

“Would you listen to what I’m saying for once,” he muttered and my smile fell, “Don’t you like me?”

“I suppose you’re kind of cute,” I smiled and stretched out my legs.

“Thanks,” he said sarcastically.

“So what would you think of a chick flick?”I sighed bending over my legs.

“I wouldn’t mind but I’m sure Joey would,” he sighed.

“I don’t think he’ll care as long as he gets to make out with Laura,” I muttered bitterly.

“I wish I could help,” he sighed.

“But it’s not your problem is it?” I snapped giving him a sudden glare.

“If it’s your problem it’s mine,” he smiled.

“Leave it alone,” I muttered.

“Come on, can’t I help at all?”

“Drop it,” I muttered as I got up.

“Where are you going?”

“I’m sick of talking, let’s go see a movie,” I sighed.

“What are we seeing?”

“Don’t care,” I whispered as we went down the maze of ropes to the ticket booth.

“I’m paying!” he cried excitedly as I went to the window.

“No you’re not,” I sighed trying to push him out of the way.

“But I’m trying to be the southern gentleman here,” he laughed, “What kind of a man would I be if I let you pay?”

“If you pay I’ll owe you and I’m not in the mood for that game,” I sulked. The ticket lady was starting to get annoyed as the two of us pushed back and forth.

“I can tell you play it with Laura all the time don’t you?”

“Yeah but she’s the one who owes me.”

“Well this’ll be a good change for you won’t it?”

“Hey are y’all gona get tickets or what?” the ticket lady glowered at us.

“Two tickets to whatever’s coming on right now,” he grunted as he stole tried to keep me out of my wallet as he dug money out of his own.

“You sexist,” I grunted as he pushed me a little out of the way so he could slide his money in first. I sighed and stood there with my money hanging out. The ticket lady rolled her eyes and punched her screen and grabbed the two tickets that popped out.

“Me sexist what?” he laughed as he grabbed my arm and pulled me along, “How come you can never finish those sentences?”

“I can walk!” I huffed as I pulled myself out of his grasp and put my money away.

“What snacks do you want?” he laughed as we gave our tickets up and walked into the snack bar.

“We just had lunch thank you very much,” I muttered as we walked towards the appropriate theater.

“So is this a date?” he giggled in my ear as we sat down.

“No,” I sighed. We waited for the movie to start in silence as the theater slowly filled.

“Why not?” he whispered.

“Because I hate you,” I gave a sarcastic smile.

“Aw, you don’t hate me,” he whined.

“Alright maybe I don’t hate you but you get rather annoying at times,” I sighed looking away with a small sarcastic smile.

“See,” he smiled as he put his hand on mine. I yanked my hand away and crossed both hands across my chest.

“Can we watch the movie please,” I hissed as the previews started.

“No I don’t think we can,” he chuckled in my ear.

“Will,” I hissed, “You paid for it.”

“Which means I can talk if I like,” he whispered.

“Shut up,” I sighed.

“Fine,” he grunted, rolling his eyes and turning to face the movie. It was another chick flick that was somewhat interesting. I couldn’t concentrate because I was worried about Laura. I kept nervously checking my phone looking for messages. Every time I would shift in my seat he would look over at me curiously and every time I shot him a dirty look. When I wasn’t worried about Laura I felt anxious sitting so close to him. I’d never been to the movies with just one boy, let alone a boy who apparently had an obsession with me. I thought about what my dad would do if he knew what I was doing and shivered slightly. I wouldn’t be allowed out of the house for anything other than work and school and I don’t think I could stand that. I’d have to make sure Laura didn’t let it slip to him.

“Well that was interesting,” he sighed as the credits started rolling.

“You really think so?” I laughed.

“Not in the least, what a chick flick,” he grunted with a wrinkled nose.

“Thought so.”

“Did you enjoy it?”

“I thought it was nice and funny.”

“Sure you did.”

“I wish that’s how real life worked.”

“Some people get their happy ending.” We started walking back to the lobby.

“Not nearly enough of us do,” I sighed.

“I see, so you go to these movies to torture yourself with what will never happen?”

“Laura and I say Disney and chick flicks have ruined men for us,” I sighed.

“How cute,” he chuckled.

“At least it wasn’t a Nicholas Sparks movie, those always end bitter sweet,” I sighed.

“I actually went to see The Notebook,” he sighed.

“Really?”

“With my sister.”

“Oh yeah, you’re sister, is she older or younger?”

“Younger,” he sighed putting his hands in his pocket as we approached the doors.

“How sweet,” I chuckled.

“Yeah she’s a cutie but she can get on my nerves a lot.”

“That’s what little sisters are for, I should know.”

“Oh yeah,” he laughed as he opened the door for me and we walked out, “How so?”

“I’m a little sister.”

“Older brother or sister?”

“Brother.”

“Well then I’m sure you’re not as obnoxious as her.”

“I don’t know, when I was younger I could be pretty annoying,” I grinned.

“As long as you don’t turn on me,” he laughed.

“Do you hang out with your sister a lot?”

“We used to hang out a lot but now we’re kind of distant.”

“Ah, the anti social teenager phase.”

“She’s a very social person.”

“I was talking about you,” I laughed, “How old is she?”

“Now she’s…” he paused and rubbed his chin, “should be about thirteen.”

“Not that much younger,” I shrugged.

“How old is your brother?”

“He’s twenty one.”

“That’s quite the age gap.”

“I know, but we get along well enough.”

“Do you hang out with him a lot?”

“He’s actually… he’s in the army,” I muttered.

“Oh,” he said quietly.

“I miss him a lot… we used to hang out a lot, we were so close.”

“Is he… where is he stationed?”

“In the middle east somewhere,” I sighed and looked out past the cars to the fields.

“I’m sure he’ll come home safe,” he muttered.

“I hope…”

“So is there a reason he went into the military?”

“He wanted to travel,” I sighed, “he hasn’t done much but at least he’s somewhere exciting,” I said sarcastically.

“Are those his words?” he chuckled humorlessly.

“How’d you know?” I laughed.

“Why would someone as sweet as you say something like that,” he smiled.

“He is sort of a bitter sweet guy.”

“Is he a good brother?”

“He’s great!” I laughed, “The best I could ask for until he just left,” I sighed.

“Sorry.”

“He would play with me and hang out with me and protect me when I was little. Of course he was still an older brother and he enjoyed torturing me,” I laughed, “He really helped me out when mom…” I faded off.

“The whole mom issue again,” he sighed. I didn’t say anything. “Sorry.”

“See this is why we don’t talk about family,” I sighed.

“Why don’t I tell you about my sister,” he suggested.

“I suppose.”

“She’s a pain in the a*s now a days but it used to be she looked up to me like I was some kind of god,” he smiled, “when she was a baby I used to love to watch her sleep and then when she got older we used to play around outside together.”

“Sounds nice,” I laughed.

“It was but then I grew up, I stopped hanging out at home and then one day she just told me she didn’t like hanging out with me anymore. She got new friends, girl friends, and she didn’t like it when I distracted them,” he laughed, “she hangs out with her friends and I hang out with mine so we don’t see much of each other anymore… but she’ll be in high school soon and then I’ll get to see her more.”

“Sounds like you miss her,” I whispered.

“I suppose but it’s nice not having her hang on me constantly,” he sighed.

“I get the feeling your more of a loner.”

“I’m fine with company… so long as it’s the right people,” he chuckled.

“And am I suppose to believe that I’m the right people?”

“You are.”

“I don’t think we’re the same kind of people.”

“And why is that.”

“It’s just this feeling.”

“Maybe you’re miss judging… maybe that feeling is actually attraction.”

“I highly doubt that.”

“Why don’t you believe that I want to hang out with you?”

“Because I’m just… just boring. My idea of fun is staying home and watching a movie or hanging out at the bookstore and I think you’re the kind of person who does a lot more than that.”

“What makes you think that?”

“Just a feeling.”

“Well it just so happens I do enjoy spending time with you. Actually I’d prefer to hang out with you rather than hang out with the other people I do hang out with.”

“That’s nice to know,” I sighed.

“Where is she?”

“Let me give her another call,” I sighed.

“Hey Lily, we’re actually on our way, we’ll be there in just a second I swear,” she sighed.

“You ok?”

“Yeah, just a little tired… I’ll be fine.”

“Alright, I’ll see you in a minute then…” I sighed.

“Bye bye,” she said before hanging up.

“Well?”

“She says she’s on her way.”

“I hope we don’t end up watching the same movie again,” he laughed.

“I’m sure we won’t,” I chuckled.

“I suppose Joey’ll want to watch something a little more manly,” he smiled.

“You got that right, watch us end up going to some horror film,” I sighed.

“Don’t like horror films?”

“You’re darn right I don’t like them, I hate them, why would someone want to be haunted by those sort of things.”

“Maybe we’ll go to some comedy movie,” he gave a chuckle.

“Sure.”



© 2010 Rose Elizabeth


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Amy
awsome as always!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

139 Views
1 Review
Added on July 8, 2010
Last Updated on July 8, 2010


Author

Rose Elizabeth
Rose Elizabeth

AL



About
I'm a chocoholic who loves to laze around. Thankfully I'm not fat yet! I suck at grammer and spelling so please don't insult me for it! I love music and movies and I totaly think school is a dra.. more..

Writing
trial trial

A Story by Rose Elizabeth


Capture Capture

A Chapter by Rose Elizabeth