The Crown of Sisyphus

The Crown of Sisyphus

A Poem by Rick Puetter
"

...The unjust trials of life...

"



Image licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic license. Photographer: jonathanjoni.  This image has been modified from the original.  The original image can be seen at http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonathanjo/2777882770/

 


 

Dear Reader,

 

Sisyphus was the King of Ephyra (now Corinth). Considered the craftiest, most scheming of men, he betrayed and tricked the gods, tried to kill his brother, deceived his wife, and was only interested in advancing his own welfare, heedless of what damage he did to others.  His punishment by Zeus was especially heinous, as he would forever push a heavy rock up a hill only to have it roll down before he reached the top.  Many of our own trials and tribulations feel like this.  No matter how hard we try, it seems we can never win.

 

Rick

 

 

The Crown of Sisyphus


     …The unjust trials of Life…


I wear the crown of Sisyphus1

Upon my sweat-stained brow.

I’m not relation to that King

But bear his burden now

 

I’m not the son of Aeolus2

Ne’er killed my guests at feast3

Nor sought to kill Salmoneus4

Or tricked Lord o’er deceased5

 

I angered not the King of gods--

Told not Aegina’s hold6

And yet I bear burden unjust

As stone uphill I roll

 

I push this stone e’er up this hill

But down again it rolls

It is my curse to ne’er succeed--

Each failure takes its toll!

 

Yet once again, this stone I push

My muscles strained and raw

I dare not think I can’t succeed--

Perhaps that is my flaw

 

I try once more, then yet again

Unceasing, ‘tiI I die!

Oh how this burden brings me tears--

You’ll often hear me sigh

 

I wear the crown of Sisyphus

Upon a sweat-stained brow

Why were these labors made so hard?

...I'll struggle through somehow

 

 

 

©2013 Richard Puetter

All rights reserved

 

 

Notes:

 

1Sisyphus, first King of Ephyra, now called Corinth.

 

2Aeolus was father to Sisyphus.

 

3Sisyphus was notorious for killing his guests.

 

4Salmoneus was the brother of Sisyphus.

 

5When Sisyphus arrived in Tartarus in the underworld, he tricked the god of death, Thanatos, and escaped.  With death trapped, humans couldn’t die, which greatly angered Ares, the god of war, who then intervened, returning Sisyphus to Tartarus.

 

6Aegina was one of the Asopides, daughters of Asopus, variously a mortal king or a river god.  Aegina was taken by Zeus and Sisyphus angered Zeus by telling Asopus her location.

© 2013 Rick Puetter


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Rick, so much of your verse dwells in the ehtereal, the incalculable, and this is no exception...but for one whose very job is the investigation of Everything, at both ewnds of the size spectrum, should i be surprised at that? Edith Bulfinch was one of my first mentors, and her renderings of the mythologies of the Greeks and Romans has stayed with me lo! these many years. The punishment of Sisyphus was known to me, but not the indepth history. Your enlightening verse is a beacon to those of us who have opted to leave the rock in the vale betwixt hills, lean up against it and take a nap!

Posted 11 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wisely crafted, amazing write.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Thank you for reinvigorating classic allusions in poetry for me. I've always enjoyed the tale of Sisyphus and your treatment of the metaphor is fantastic, not only to you bring about the allusion but your treatment of cadence and rhyme scheme invoke the weary bard tone for me. I think now the crown will be more cause for my personal speculation than the stone.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Quite a splendid and intelligent piece you have penned. It seems we are all Sisyphus in one way or another. Try as we might to build a life of love and accomplishment, eventually the stone will roll ...
However, I assure you, my dinner guests are quite safe.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great poem. Tell Sisyphus not to worry too much, because they say 'a rolling stone gathers no moss!'
I am impressed with the format of this poem>

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Well, I hit the jackpot, not only learned some mythology but got to read a great poem, too! Kudos!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Seems some never learn and others always try... The "Gods" like cleverness when it isn't at their expense.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I'm incredibly fascinated by your extensive use of Greek mythology as well as inspired by your style of writing. I loved this piece. Good job.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Well done . you alwaysa great mind in you. You are a wonder. I see a historian in your work as well I too like history and read of it all the time.You have done well with this one

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hey fellow San Diegian! Loved this poem and the research/knowledge that went into writing. Read it the first time, then saw the footnotes at the bottom and read it again to get even deeper meaning. Good Job!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Yours is a heady combination Rick. Your mastery of the craft and your expert knowledge of mythology. Wonderful my friend.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2088 Views
26 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 25, 2013
Last Updated on June 29, 2013
Tags: greek mythology, the trials of life, failure, perseverance

Author

Rick Puetter
Rick Puetter

San Diego, CA



About
So what's the most important thing to say about myself? I guess the overarching aspect of my personality is that I am a scientist, an astrophysicist to be precise. Not that I am touting science.. more..

Writing