Sometimes I Weep a Bitter Tear

Sometimes I Weep a Bitter Tear

A Poem by Rick Puetter
"

Sadness at life’s misfortunes and pointless meandering

"

The diverging paths of life!” This photograph appeared on the blog page http://julielearner.com/blog/ and is listed by Google as not filtered by a use license.  So the author of this poem is unaware of any restrictions.  The original image can be found at http://julielearner.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/diverging-paths-e1403623821353.jpg.

 


Sometimes I Weep a Bitter Tear


     “…Sadness at life’s misfortunes and pointless meanderings…”

 

Sometimes I weep a bitter tear for "me"s that failed to be

Poor chances took, bad choices made, flaws clutched I didn’t see

But now I’m old, and looking back, with eyes that see anew

What careless acts! And such mistakes! Regrets? … There are a few!

 

Oh how I long to start afresh--to find a better way

To love this more, to hate that less, hold senselessness at bay

But could I find that better path, or still would I ' astray?

I must admit, I wouldn't know 'til life turns cold and gray.

 

And so I guess I’ll wipe my eyes, and dry away this tear

I’ll smile a bit, think cheerful thoughts, and draw my loved ones near

I’ll sigh a sigh, draw in a breath, and try to find life’s good

To end my days in peacefulness--to end it as it should

 


©2014, Richard Puetter

All rights reserved

© 2015 Rick Puetter


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Ha ho
My friend I sure enjoyed your words and understand them feelings. I too go over my past, present and wonder what the future may have in store for me.
Mistakes are regrets and if we do not make them how are we to learn life lessons. I hope all is good for you and yours and light and life!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Your poem is a poignant reflection on the regrets and longings that come with age and experience. The repetition of the phrase "poor chances took, bad choices made" creates a sense of both sadness and resignation, while the imagery of wiping away tears and finding life's good is both powerful and inspiring. Your words convey a sense of longing and uncertainty, yet they also offer a glimmer of hope in the possibility of finding peace and contentment. Your poem is a testament to the human spirit and the ability to find meaning and purpose in even the darkest of moments.

Posted 8 Months Ago


I love "hold senselessness at bay." I think you could revise more parts of this poem, such as "think cheerful thoughts," to hold the same unique quality.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ha ho
My friend I sure enjoyed your words and understand them feelings. I too go over my past, present and wonder what the future may have in store for me.
Mistakes are regrets and if we do not make them how are we to learn life lessons. I hope all is good for you and yours and light and life!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Yes! Just when you get your head together, your body starts falling apart. This is the cruel irony of life. Age and wisdom grant us the insight to better see a life no longer seen so clearly through the eyes.

As always, your work is superb.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I was captivated from the very first line of this piece. Especially by the idea that we could be alternative versions of our self depending on the circumstances of our path. I can almost see yours speaker pacing pack and forth, retracing each step he could have taken on each of those paths.

I really enjoyed the turn in the third stanza. You beautifully move your reader from the realm of regret into a bright new day of introspection and creation. In that last stanza, your speaker sees the old paths behind him, but gains the power to beautifully complete his current journey. I really enjoyed that message.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I took the path of least resistance, and I'm OK with it; hopefully, your last line will be true for me. You are missing the t in "thoughts".

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rick Puetter

9 Years Ago

Thanks, My Friend. And thanks for catching the typo. These so easily creep in. A while ago I chan.. read more
Quite a short poem for you, Rick, but you still give us much to ponder. I believe it is human nature to look back as we grow older, and wonder about the roads we have taken and the ones we may have missed. No doubt it is the things we regret that taught us our greatest lessons and helped to make us who we are now.

This was a pleasure to read as are all your poems. Thanks for sharing your talents and wisdom with us.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

And so I guess I’ll wipe my eyes, and dry
away this tear
I’ll smile a bit, think cheerful houghts, and
draw my loved ones near

This wonderful, melancholy wonderfully woven.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Incredible words and no doubt what a great many people mull over. However, if things were different, at some unwise pondering moment, we wouldnt be who we are, ok-ish. And that could be so much better than being so bad, we'd need a sign saying, 'Beware evil - keep away'! Or, might we be so darned perfect we'd scare people away!? Like it or not, we're stuck with a one way ticket and can only change direction - not go back on the same path.

Fine analytical thinking in your usual subtle style.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

These words sure ring true in my ears, Rick. I think about those different paths a LOT. How often I think I should've zigged instead of zagged, but there just ain't no changing things--darn it. Even if we could, there's no guarantee we'd have gotten a better outcome. Yep, draw those loved ones near and look for life's good.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

9423 Views
13 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 6, 2014
Last Updated on October 5, 2015
Tags: life regrets fate fortune philos

Author

Rick Puetter
Rick Puetter

San Diego, CA



About
So what's the most important thing to say about myself? I guess the overarching aspect of my personality is that I am a scientist, an astrophysicist to be precise. Not that I am touting science.. more..

Writing