Go Now So Gently Into That Good Night! Co-write With Sheila Kline

Go Now So Gently Into That Good Night! Co-write With Sheila Kline

A Poem by Rick Puetter
"

Inspired by “Do Not Go Gently Into That Good Night”, Dylan Thomas, 1914-1953

"





















This image is in the public domain and is available for free use, without attribution.

 

We recently learned that a writer and friend of Writer’s Café is facing his final days with friends and family.  And in the knowledge that words are only words, and that oft times even the most graceful of words utterly fail, we offer our most heartfelt prayers.  Our deepest respect.

 

 

Go now so gently into that good night!

 

     Inspired by “Do Not Go Gently Into That Good Night”, Dylan Thomas, 1914-1953

 

Go now so gently into that good night,

Unerring faith holds steady at night’s eve;

Soar, soar into the harbor of the light.

 

And at life’s end, the wise hold good as right,

And they revere the grace that good works weave;

Go now so gently into that good night.

 

And at death’s door, good men, they cry how bright

Their trust held strong, a pow'r that ne’er deceives;

Soar, soar into the harbor of the light.

 

Sage men encompass goodness in its might,

And virtue through that faith they do receive;

Go now so gently into that good night.

 

Brave men, near death, who have fought the good fight,

Their journey comes and yet they do not grieve;

Soar, soar into the harbor of the light.

 

And you, Dear Friend, now readied to take flight,

Rejoice with me as life doth take its leave;

Go now so gently into that good night.

Soar, soar into the harbor of the light.

 

 

©2017 Sheila Bowyer Kline & Richard Puetter

All rights reserved individually and together.



Note

 

Our poem is meant to honor and contrast with Dylan Thomas’ poem “Do not go gentle into that good night,” which is repeated below.


Do not go gentle into that good night

 

Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

 

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,

Because their words had forked no lightning they

Do not go gentle into that good night.

 

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright

Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

 

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,

And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Do not go gentle into that good night.

 

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight

Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

 

And you, my father, there on the sad height,

Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

Do not go gentle into that good night.

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

 

 

From The Poems of Dylan Thomas, published by New Directions. Copyright © 1952, 1953 Dylan Thomas. Copyright © 1937, 1945, 1955, 1962, 1966, 1967 the Trustees for the Copyrights of Dylan Thomas. Copyright © 1938, 1939, 1943, 1946, 1971 New Directions Publishing Corp. Copyright provided free for educational use.

© 2017 Rick Puetter


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is a gorgeous poem full of grand imagery and just so much goodness. This is beautiful and dreamy, reminding me of my actual dreams. It soars in its words, it takes flight exactly as you say. And then the darker parts are brilliant and the entire thing is just an amazingly well written. A great collaboration between two writers who know exactly how to tug at heart strings and use their words. Thank you for sharing!

Posted 1 Year Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

It's been such a long time since I read any of your or Sheila's writing.. mea culpa if permitted.

If anyone needs or request inspiration from words, why not choose the sombre beauty of Dylan's poem. I know he's not everyone's favourite but to hear him read his own words is, for me -- momentary step in space,

Your combined skills at and upon the written word has always been incredible - this one of the best of goodness knows how many.. Death should be a drifting off to gentle oblivion with appropriate soft fanfare. Sadly, tragically there is little justice in life, so same follows at death. Too many deaths take life from countries, lovers, families et al so that comfort comes at the most terrible cost. Jeartbreak is loud, vicious, angry, helpless.. wretched. To each his/her own.. the end is what it is. The saddest and most vicious pain of all pain.

I don't draw quotes from a collaboration, tis too unsubtle.especially when a piece is as Whole as can be.

Posted 4 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I just re-read this, Rick, and if I didn't know you better, I'd read it almost as a testament of faith-- so much 'religious' imagery: 'unerring faith, grace, goodness, revere...'. I'm sure you meant a different connotation, but '...soar, soar into the harbor of the light' '? That, logically it seems to me, can only be taken literally for if death is extinction, if one has no eternal self, then all else is moot and meaningless, including whatever was left behind, including reputation, good works, etc.-- Absurd actually, as Camus and some of the brave atheists point out. Still, I like your poem much more than D.T.'s.

Posted 5 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Rick Puetter

5 Years Ago

Rereading this again, myself. Now this is a joint poem with my friend and author, Sheila Klein. Sh.. read more
Nolo Segundo

5 Years Ago

Methinks thou do protest too much, my friend--a bit like rationalization, it seems to mine ears--and.. read more
Rick Puetter

5 Years Ago

Well, I'm surprised you think I protest too much. These are my honest and open feelings. And I kno.. read more
Well, I do love the contrast. I've worked for the past five years in hospice situations, and I've only seen people go gently. I have yet to see one raging, including my own father who, against all odds, went gently.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Well done, both of you. Would but death were a pleasant experience. No one ever comes back to tell us. But your poem is full of power and optimism. Perhaps, when the physical lights go, we might see the celestial light. I love your phrase, 'the harbour of the light.'

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love the positivity of embracing the storm that will deliver us to the shores of our next destination. We most often grieve and are saddened to see loved ones go, but hopefully there is energy beyond this life wherein our own energy goes into that beautiful oblivion. This is a beautiful homage and tribute.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It reminds me on interstellar but hope full and that is why it is good.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

beautiful, quite beautiful...

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hello, Rick! :)
This is a great villanelle and a great mirror to the one by Thomas. And, it looks like it was a fun write! The cadence is lovely. It pushed me to read "power" as one syllable, maybe with an accent. Haha.
"who have fought the good fight" - was a slight stumble in the cadence and a bit cliche.
Lovely, thoughtful, and faithful, and well done!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Relic steered me to Sheila's earlier today. It's a comfort to know there are friends who may care and show honor when we embark upon the final journey as you two have done here. The recipient must feel appreciative. (I know I would)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1181 Views
19 Reviews
Added on March 19, 2017
Last Updated on March 21, 2017

Author

Rick Puetter
Rick Puetter

San Diego, CA



About
So what's the most important thing to say about myself? I guess the overarching aspect of my personality is that I am a scientist, an astrophysicist to be precise. Not that I am touting science.. more..

Writing
Time Time

A Poem by Rick Puetter