Grecian Urn

Grecian Urn

A Poem by Rick Puetter
"

Honoring “Ode on a Grecian Urn” by John Keats

"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



This is a faithful photographic reproduction of an original two-dimensional work of art.  The work of art itself is in the public domain for the following reason:  This image (or other media file) is in the public domain because its copyright has expired.   This applies to the United States, Australia, the European Union and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 70 years.

 


Grecian Urn

 

     Honoring “Ode on a Grecian Urn” by John Keats

 

What hast thou seen, oh Grecian urn

Since on the wheel thy shape was turned?

Of what great deeds have you since learned

And wept for tragedy unearned?

 

I look at you and think and stare

Your history you will not share

You seem to rest without a care

A cold, clay jar just sitting there

 

And yet the things that you must know!

The laugh of friends, the hate of foes

The pains of fate and lover's glow

The play of child and griever’s woe

 

And ‘though I think you must be wise

You never speak or utter sighs

You shout no truths--you tell no lies

Your silence everything denies

 

How many lengthy years will pass

As you watch silent through this glass

And who will grieve for you, alas

When careless hand ends you at last?

 

 

©2010 Richard Puetter

All rights reserved

© 2014 Rick Puetter


Author's Note

Rick Puetter
Dear Reader,

While this was not originally intended, the rhyme scheme turned out to be aaaa, i.e., a form of mono-rhyme.

Best regards,

Rick

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Beautiful, Rick! I humbly make one remark, though I hesitate for who am I to question the master who (whom?) I always learn lessons much appreciated!? It concerns the last line. As written, I stumbled a bit, my brain wanting to read "when careless hands end you at last." It seems such a nitpicky thing, however I want to give you honest feedback. This truly is a beautiful poem.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Rick,
Reading this wonderful piece, I can't help but contemplate those permanent fixtures of this sphere: the skys, the waters, the stones, and the stars. I see in them that which you display here - that passage of time and memories, the events witnessed, and the evolving of humankind. I muse at the marvelous things witnessed and I find myself thirsty for that knowledge, an unresolved jealousy if you will. This piece is as timeless as the master's original. I also find myself envious of your evolving skill. The skill displayed here is something to set as a benchmark. In particular I want to point out (purely for the edification of other readers here, as this is already something you well know) that after conducting three readings, I formally scansioned this piece and discovered that you have written this in almost perfect iambic tetrameter. With only a faulty second line in the last stanzaa, this is an excercise in textbook meter. Rick, I love this....Thanks you...
Todd

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

A pleasure to read sir. And the best for me was:

"And yet the things that you must know!
The laugh of friends, the hate of foes
The pains of fate and lovers’ glow
The play of child and griever’s woe"

One tech: You(r) never speak or utter sighs

Great job my friend.




Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

firstly.John Keats is a favourite of mine...i absolutely love his poetry...this particular poem i've read long ago but the expression''still unravished bride of quietness''is unforgetable...
i applaud you to have chosen it...great courage it must have taken to write upon something that keats has written upon...but you brought the magic back..the charm,the history,long epocs of time...gracian urn has seen so much..

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Your passion for history and historic events always shines through in your poetry. This adds life to the work because you love what you are writing about. Nice work, my friend.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dear Rick!

I read of the Grecian Urn, and my thoughts turn to that which man sees, lives, endures in one's journey of life. As the urn, what does "one" contemplate, what do we share, what do we gather in our memory that is never heard.

I am being somewhat philosophical in comparison to your descriptions and interpretation of Keat's work in which you have so skillfully transferred his ideas into your poetic mastery....yet, I cannot help but think of life, and in the end, we may just be as a broken jar when handled in the wrong way.

This is the pure beauty of a master's poetry...we all discern its clear message as told in the poem, yet leave the page with new thoughts to ponder.

We too may know much, experience sadness and joy...in the end, who shall be left to tell it?

Excellent job my friend! Beautiful interpretation of a classic piece from a Master by a Master!

Best Regards,
Sheila

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

You've outdone yourself you know. This was a great piece and a wonderful pondering of an ancient ponderable. Well done.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stunning writing hon:)
This is beautiful art! Wonderful tribute to Keats, I particualarly love the end stanza:) The thought that careless hands could drop this piece of overwhelmingly beautiful art is beyond imagination, argh! lol
Wonderful poem!
xx

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I really love the notion of writing about a historical artifact and the history that it is likely to have been in the presence of. The wonders we might know if ever it spoke! I never knew that John Keats had an artistic hand for drawing as well.

Linda Marie Van Tassell

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I really enjoyed this poem my friend! reminded me of my Grandfather. I would ask him what he knows and he would say, "I do not know anything, but I have heard stories from my father and so on and so forth." He would be asked to speak in front of our relatives and he would always say,"Creator grant me the right words and actions to help my relatives. For I am nothing!" I sure miss him.
I use to say,Choka when I get older I might need advice to lead a good life, why won't you tell me how to be? Grandson, throughout your life you will meet many other human beings who claim to know many things. Be wary and only use what you feel is right. Be a self made man!
Today I am the same way. I leave these stories here for my children and theirs for I am not forcing them to travel the path I lead, I am a hay-dush-ska! To live like me you have to be good, take no life, never marry your own clan and you will have a straight no obstacle path to the Creator's village. I live by these rules set in place for our people. Sorry again my friend for rambling on. Thank you for thinking of me and sending me this wonderful poem. May the Creator take pity on you and treat you well!
Life and Light!
TT-TTO-NI-K
Elk

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is so beautiful to me; both the verse and the thought behind it. I love the Greeks and their art. I have long desired to visit Athens and the other great cities and ruins of ancient times. Even as a child I looked in awe at the great works of art in pictures, read the mythologies and puzzled at the language. When others spoke of Rome I sneered, "They stole it all from the Greeks!" I read Homer and Aristotle while other kids read Old Yeller...not because of some pompous desire to seem important or intelligent but out of a thirst that only the water from that well could fill. Every time I see a picture of a free standing sculpture or read a familiar quote or catch a glimpse of a piece of pottery like the one above, that thirst is renewed in me. This was a wonderful tribute, not only to Keats, but to the desire that drove his writing as well. I thoroughly enjoyed!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

5293 Views
30 Reviews
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on June 30, 2010
Last Updated on July 10, 2014
Tags: reflection, art, history, relics, wisdom, life experience, meaning, purpose

Author

Rick Puetter
Rick Puetter

San Diego, CA



About
So what's the most important thing to say about myself? I guess the overarching aspect of my personality is that I am a scientist, an astrophysicist to be precise. Not that I am touting science.. more..

Writing