After Hours

After Hours

A Poem by Rick Puetter


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After Hours


Lamp-glow glints off ‘ street


     Bar lights dark--all silent now


          Homeless pull tight sheets

 

 


©2011 Richard Puetter

All rights reserved

 


Photographer: Chuckoutrearseats.  Licensed for use under a Creative Common Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic license.  This photo was taken on March 9, 2010 in Hendon, Sunderland, England, GB, using a Sony DSC-S930.  The original image can be seen at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48625620@N00/4420456084/sizes/o/in/photostream/

© 2020 Rick Puetter


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This haiku is all the more poignant during the pandemic. The bar lights are dark, but being homeless is even worse. Did you mean to use the apostrophe between "off" and "street"? Was "a" the omission? Even if, not sure you need it. Hope you and yours are fine.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Short but in a sense it sends my imagination on a quest of sorts. I want to explore those streets in the flesh and really take in its beauty and perhaps dangers. Love this.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Really lovely writing!
Keep it up!
Do you read mine too ANGUISH!
God bless you...
Lucky!

Posted 12 Years Ago


nice lines read mine too "QUEST OF LIFE"

Posted 12 Years Ago


Hi rick always the touch of genious you are

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shocking, simple and powerful, a most designed effort of effect, well done, good read.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is an unfortunate occurrence among the city. And I quite well see that it has drawn up many comments down below. The fact that is isn't a picture of New York is quite surprising. New York is just one of those popular connotations of a city when we think the word. At least, that's what I think of about "city."
Very haunting and very sad.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I am constantly aware of the poor and needy among us...I believe there are just as many who are wealthy and needy. If it were not so, there would be no suicides among those of fame and fortune. The corruption of the spirit is the abscence of love. Without love we cannot survive or find the will to survive. But with love it is amazing how little else is needed to sustain courage, hope, strength and faith. I like to say that it is a quality of good mental health to maintain an "attitude of gratitude" because it is very difficult to feel sorry for oneself while counting one's blessings and the things in life for which we are grateful. Your poetry always leads me to think and ponder the deeper meanings of life my friend...for that I am always grateful.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Vivid picture, great write. Capture the true grit of darkened city streets.

Posted 12 Years Ago


The notions of "homeless" and "sheets" did not mesh in my brain, so I set off in quest of some symbolic or metaphorical subtext...No luck as yet! But be glad that you moved me to look!

"Box unfurls, churl curls" ?

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dear Rick!

My great grandfather was lamp lighter for the small town where my mother's parents settled in VA so your words tug at my heartstrings with thoughts of him, each evening lighting the lamps after perhaps frequenting one of the bars now dark as you speak of in your expertly penned haiku. The homeless, as they pull tight the sheets, must be so thankful for some glimmer of light, of hope for a brighter tomorrow to come!

I must also note that the image you have chosen is a perfect one to accentuate the meaning of your words!!

Best Regards,

Sheila

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1613 Views
33 Reviews
Added on August 18, 2011
Last Updated on April 25, 2020
Tags: Haiku. homeless. bars. city. lig

Author

Rick Puetter
Rick Puetter

San Diego, CA



About
So what's the most important thing to say about myself? I guess the overarching aspect of my personality is that I am a scientist, an astrophysicist to be precise. Not that I am touting science.. more..

Writing