DJ OKAWARI - Song analysis

DJ OKAWARI - Song analysis

A Story by Sachi Ruaya
"

One of my very old, rusty works. This is also one of my first song analysis essay. Just thought I would share...

"

DJ OKAWARI- FLOWER DANCE


There is only lyrics at the start of the song (ca. 25 seconds) which the title foreshadows [(n) an indication of a future event]. During this, there is a piano part playing softly in the background and a bass drum keeps the rhythm (hits on every beat). The words-and tone-are a casual talk between a man and a woman. The woman seems to be telling facts (possibly advertising) to the man. The man states that the woman is advertising flowers and the woman accepts that he asks her if she sells them but she says no. From there, the man attempts to make a deal with the woman leaving the listeners at a climax. The voices are slightly muted, then the piano is slowly brought into focus (a piano solo) by using crescendo. 


The structure is placed as a classical piano pop. After the intro with the spoken words, the piano continues playing (louder)-as a solo- then blends into the chorus (adding more layers which are percussion, for the rhythm, and bass guitar chords). After this, there is a verse and a bridge (which is repetitive and the binary form is used.) then the chorus again (adding the strings to give a power to the texture). After this, there is a rift using the binary form. Then there are strings and piano, both playing a separate melody, for the last chorus which is repeated. For the outro.(end) is the same piano part played in the intro, but at the start of it, the tempo is slightly faster then gradually slows down. Decrescendo is used to end the song.


The instrumentation of the song includes a lead piano (playing the melody and a harmony-), a drum kit, violins and one viola, a chime and a (jazz) bass guitar.  Since there are only 7 instruments, the texture (i.e. layering of the song) light, like a kite, but concrete. I would describe it as magical (because of the cymbal and chimes) and bright as if the piano is playing around like a child. 


 The violins and the piano have their own melodies. This means this song is polyphonic (Bakhtin's polyphony - literary polyphony). The dynamics of both the violins and the piano alternate but they are both the played around mezzo forte or above (one is always louder than the other). The chimes are used to help with the transitioning between two variations or parts (i.e. chorus and verses) and it helps create a ‘magical’ atmosphere. The piano is played on the grand staff meaning it plays a melody and a harmony. It is the main focus of this song (‘tells’ the story).


The bass guitar is muted and is fairly hard to notice since it is really soft (played around piano). It does not play until the first chorus. During the first chorus, it plays scales "up and down-and chords to support the piano’s harmony and the violin’s melody. Technically and theoretically, other than the single notes that the bass guitar plays throughout the song, the part the guitar plays on the chorus is a melody played very softly but the music production of this song includes it with the harmony. 


The drum sustains throughout the whole song playing the same beat using only the bass drum, snare and hi-hat. In some parts of the song (particularly the intro) the cymbals are used the same way as the chimes (i.e. to help transition between parts or variations) but played very softly which starts at più piano then the dynamics slightly becomes louder (i.e. crescendo).


To conclude the texture of this song generally, the song includes three melodies (violin, piano and "partially- the bass guitar), so we can conclude that this song is polyphonic. violin’s melody. Technically and theoretically, other than the single notes that the bass guitar plays throughout the song, the part the guitar plays on the chorus is a melody played very softly but the music production of this song includes it with the harmony. 


The drum sustains throughout the whole song playing the same beat using only the bass drum, snare and hi-hat. In some parts of the song (particularly the intro) the cymbals are used the same way as the chimes (i.e. to help transition between parts or variations) but played very softly which starts at più piano then the dynamics slightly becomes louder (i.e. crescendo).


To conclude the texture of this song generally, the song includes three melodies (violin, piano and "partially- the bass guitar), so we can conclude that this song is polyphonic.

© 2017 Sachi Ruaya


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Teacher Feedback:
Thank you Sachi for the opportunity to read your song analysis on DJ OKAWARI- FLOWER DANCE. You have given your reader much to think about by drawing the lyrical content and the textures and timbres of the music in to the conversation. The story of the two people and the music seem to have a correlation. Your observations of the genre and structure of the music are great additions to the analysis and gives the reader further information to imagine the music.
Remember when writing a song analysis to establish a clear structure to the writing piece so your reader can follow exactly what you want to convey. Great work Sachi!


Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

5677 Views
1 Review
Added on November 16, 2017
Last Updated on November 16, 2017
Tags: Music, Production, Career, Blog, Article, Draft, Interview, essay, flower, dance, piano, dj, song, compose, transpose, instruments, polyphonic, beautiful, lyrics, new, age, genre

Author

Sachi Ruaya
Sachi Ruaya

Victoria, Australia



About
Sachi is an observant art lover who takes pride in her strong verbal and written communication skills as she regards her love for learning. She highly values collaboration and efforts to create innova.. more..

Writing