The MacGuffin - Chapter 6

The MacGuffin - Chapter 6

A Chapter by Runa Pigden
"

Tessie MacBrady attends a seance

"

A soft noise made Tessa pause the tape recorder. She sat and listened for a minute. She could still hear Daniel snoring in their bedroom so the sound had clearly not come from him. The walls of their condominium were built to dampen noises from other apartments so it could not be the neighbors. Then it came again, a soft swooshing as if something light was being dragged on the floor. She stood from her cross-legged position and went to the doorway of the living room and listened again. When the sound repeated yet again, Tessa became aware of a draft. Obviously there was a window open somewhere in the apartment and the breeze was causing something to stir. She looked back over her shoulder at the stereo. She wanted to hear more of the story being related by Tessie MacBrady but she should close that open window.

As she followed the draft down the hallway, Tessa thought about how little had actually been related by Tessie so far and yet how much she herself seemed to be able to fill in. Tessa had studied the Great Potato Famine and the Irish Diaspora in one of her courses at university, so being able to complete those kinds of details did made sense. She thought back to her mother’s research on past life recall and wondered if she had made the whole story up in her head. That would explain knowing things not mentioned by Tessie. But then again, who knew what past life memories still clung to the soul or life essence.

Tessa slammed the bathroom window shut causing herself to jump at the noise level. Fool. Good way to wake Daniel up and have him start asking questions. She slid the shower curtain to one side. Daniel had obviously left it closed again. She checked the counter top and, sure enough, there was the toothpaste lid sitting next to the tube. She was about to put it back on when a moment of spite came upon her. She opened the lower cabinet and tossed the lid into the small garbage pail. No need for argument if there was no more toothpaste lid.

When she returned to the living room, Tessa checked the time. She had been listening for almost forty minutes at this point. Obviously, there was not much left to Tessa’s story since there were no other tapes marked TMB and only ten to fifteen minutes left on this tape. She considered going back down the hall to get a drink from the kitchen before returning to the story. Instead she went to the small bar at the far end of the room and helped herself to a glass of ginger ale. She settled back onto the oversized cushion on the floor and pushed the play button.

 

Tessie MacBrady felt a small shiver creep up her spine and past the hairs at the back of her neck. She kept her eyes on Mr. Randolph who was surveying the guests at the table. When his pale brown eyes met her own, she was overwhelmed by a surge of emotion. Tessie lowered her gaze to stare at the backs of her hands on the table. Her attention was drawn to the ornate ring on Lady Maitland’s right hand. A single snake twined about the middle finger on the aged hand. The serpent’s eyes were small red gems, rubies Tessie guessed. Along its back were tiny brilliant green gems; probably emeralds.

“Mr. Randolph will now go into a trance,” announced Reverend Moses. “To help with the process I ask everyone to close their eyes and drift in the blackness behind your eyelids.”

Tessie wanted to giggle at the reverend’s request. Drift in the blackness behind your eyelids. How silly that seemed. She had never had any reason to close her eyes except to pray or sleep. If she drifted at all, it would be off to dreamland.

“Stare into the darkness. Allow your mind to fill with it. Do not cling to thoughts of any kind. Just be a part of the void.”

Tessie stifled another need to giggle. She was beginning to believe that this was all a charade. No one at the table really thought that Mr. Randolph could talk to angels. They were all playing pretend together like the little girls imagining themselves as princesses at the Queen’s court. Suddenly a groan issued from across the table and Tessie’s eyes flew open. Mr. Randolph was slumped in his chair with his head twisted back at a strange angle. He resembled old Mrs. Dooley when Tessie and her mother had found the elderly neighbor on her kitchen chair several years ago. Another shiver found Tessie’s spine.

Reverend Moses was also staring at his associate. He waited a moment and then resumed his quiet liturgy. “Allow yourself to float in the darkness.” Tessie reclosed her eyes. “Around you are specks of light. Each speck is another life.” Tessie stared hard into the darkness of her closed eyes but no specks appeared except the afterimages of the few candles still alight in the parlor. The reverend’s voice droned on. “Mr. Randolph, have you met with your guide?”

At first there was only silence and Tessie was tempted to open her eyes again to reassure herself that Mr. Randolph had not died just a few moments ago. “Mark rests,” came a dusky version of Mr. Randolph’s voice. “I am Fenestra.”

“Welcome, Fenestra,” replied the reverend.” Are you willing to relay our questions to the dead?”

“I am . . . I will.”

Tessie heard the voice as if from a distance. She knew she was drifting away and experienced only a moment’s remorse that she would not remain awake for the séance. She slipped into a dream where she passed among a large crowd of people. It was very much like a market day in London except few of the others seemed to be in a hurry. Maybe it was more like a festival day back home but with a larger crowd. Yes, she was at the summer fair in Galway for was that not Donald O’Toole just ahead of her. She would know that stiff gait and brilliant red hair anywhere. She was about to push ahead to catch up with him when a hand came to rest on her own.

“You have been a long time coming to find me,” spoke a familiar child’s voice.

Tessie looked to her left and recognized the pale face of her eight-year-old sister. “Bridget!” Tessie clutched her sister to her chest and squeezed. Her sister’s arms returned the strong hug. “How I have missed you.”

“And I you.”

Bridget’s face was alit with mischief when they broke apart. “Come, I’ve somewhat to show you.” She pulled Tessie along out of the throng, past open booths and little shops. Within a short time they were walking along the pebbled path to Giant’s Hill. Tessie breathed in the freshness of the long green grass, the summer flowers, and the salty air. The Winchester country estate had some of this but the city of London was foul in comparison. And neither came close to Ireland for pure beauty.

“Why are we heading to Giant’s Hill?” Tessie asked her little sister. The only reply she got was another sly grin and a tug on her hand.

The way became craggy with rock outcroppings appearing on either side of the path. The long slim grass gave way to its spikier version. A raven came to rest on a nearby tall stone and squawked a welcome. Tessie shivered at the sight of the large black bird. Ravens were legendary messengers of death. This one cocked his head to gaze at her directly. Its attitude made Tessie stop and stare. The bird hopped off its perch and settled in the juniper bush at the bottom of the stone. Tessie stepped closer to see what had attracted the bird’s interest. A human skull lay on the ground facing the tall standing stone. Now that she was closer, Tessie could see the strange markings carved into the stone. This was one of the old Druid places. A forbidden place. She turned to shoo her sister back and found that she stood alone.

“Bridget?” Tessie called. An answering giggle came from the bend in the path above. Tessie chased after her sister. “Bridget, wait!” she commanded. As she neared the bend, the giggle sounded again but from further along the path winding through thickets and stunted trees. “Bridget Hannah Eileen MacBrady, you wait for me.”

Tessie suddenly found herself at the crest of the hill. A large crowd had gathered there and now stood in a circle about the mound. Bridget skipped up to the circle and joined hands with two of the throng. The older woman on Bridget’s left smiled down at the child. Tessie recognized the kindly face of their mother’s matronly aunt. Before she could say or do anything, the man to Bridget’s right turned to face her. Granda!

“Stop! Come no closer, Tessie.” Granda greeted her as she ran to him. “You may not join our circle.”

Tessie stopped in her place. Why was she being excluded? Why could she not join with them? Across the edge of the circle, she spotted the familiar faces of so many of their neighbors and friends. She had never been ostracized by any of them in her life. Were they angry that she had moved to England? So many Irish blamed the English for the starvation and loss of lands in Ireland. Did they now blame her as well?

As if he had heard her thoughts, Granda spoke, “Your place among us awaits your return, Child, but you must live for many years yet.”

Live? Realization hit Tessie hard. She was in the company of all her dead relatives, friends and neighbors. She could not stand with them because she was alive. Here were all the people she had loved or known, and lost. Well, most of them that was. Tessie noticed some strange faces further along the circle. She should have remembered that Giant’s Hill was supposed to be the resting place for a sleeping giant whose sleep resembled death. When the giant eventually awoke, legend had it that she would bring with her the souls of those who had earned the right to walk again. Tessie had always thought of the fable as superstitious nonsense much like All Hallows Eve.

Granda addressed her again. “We have one among us who’s wanting you to carry a message back with you.”

An elderly woman extricated herself from the circle well off to the left. Tessie was certain she had never met the woman before. As the old woman approached the place where Tessie had become rooted, her semblance became less aged with each step. By the time she stood before Tessie, the old woman seemed no more than mid-thirties.

“I ask a boon of thee,” her voice retained the scratchiness of an older woman. “You must tell my daughter that I beg her forgiveness. Her resentment will keep her from reaching her eternal reward. Tell her that I feared for her financial comfort and never considered her husband’s cruel streak. Tell her I wish I had allowed her to marry her love even though they would never have had the finer things in life.”

Tessie nodded as she committed the words to memory. “Wait,” she said as the other woman turned to resume her place in the circle. “How am I to know your daughter?”

The old woman turned her wizened face to Tessie and smiled. “She holds your hands in hers. “Awake, Child, awake!” The old woman made a move as if to throw something at Tessie’s face. Tessie warded her eyes with her hands and felt herself fall off the side of the hill.

Tessie’s face suddenly stung as if she had been slapped. She became aware of her hands being lifted away from her eyes. Everything was blurry. Had the old woman blinded her?

“Someone get her a drink of clear water,” came a commanding voice.

Tessie tried to rub her eyes but her hands were held captive. Someone was vigorously rubbing her wrists. She blinked several times to clear her vision. Slowly Lady Maitland came into focus. Tessie guessed that she had tumbled from her chair when she had fallen asleep. Lady Winchester’s séance must be ruined. Her heart fell deep into the pit of her stomach. Tessie would never be able to make amends for her disgrace.

Over Lady Maitland’s shoulder, appeared Mr. Randolph who provided the ordered cup of water. “I have never seen this happen before,” his voice rang loudly in Tessie’s head. She winced. “I have heard of such events,” he continued, making Tessie’s head throb.

“It is not your fault at all, Mr. Randolph. It never occurred to me that Tessie might be talented.” Lady Winchester’s voice came from above Tessie’s head. She twisted to apologize to her employer.

“I am so very sorry, milady,” Tessie began.

“Hush, Child, this is not your doing. You must rest and get your strength back.”

“Allow me,” a young man’s voice interjected. “I think she is well enough to be lifted to a chesterfield.” Tessie felt the world fall away and remembered falling off the hill in her dream.

“There was an old lady in my dream,” she started.

“Hush,” said Lady Winchester. “Save your strength.”

“If you please, Lady Margaret,” interrupted the reverend. “Your young ward has been where Mr. Randolph and I go. She may have something to tell before it is gone from her mind forever.” Tessie could see the acquiescent nod from Lady Winchester but the reverend’s words obviously frightened the lady even more than she already was.

“Elisabeth,” the reverend now addressed Tessie directly. “Can you remember all that you saw?” Tessie nodded her head but the movement made the throbbing worse. She winced. “Add plenty of sugar to her water, please.” The reverend handed the cup to Lady Winchester. Tessie was even more dismayed that her employer was being made to wait on her. When the cup returned, Tessie tried to drink it. It was sickly sweet with liquid honey. “Now, Child, can you relate what you experienced?”

“I am so sorry, my Lady,” Tessie started to shed tears. “I fell fast asleep and dreamed.” She broke into sobs.

Several voices at once attempted to soothe her. Tessie was heartened to see that Lady Margaret was among them. Lady Maitland returned to rubbing Tessie’s wrists. Reverend Moses overrode them all. “No, my child, you did not sleep. You fell into what we call a trance. It is a state between sleeping and wakefulness. It is important that you relate what you saw and heard.”

Tessie was confused but did as beckoned. She started with meeting her sister in the marketplace at the summer fair. She wisely left out that it was the summer fair in Galway, Ireland. She had regained her senses enough to know that she could still ruin the lady with a slip of the tongue. She continued on to the hill of the sleeping giant. When she got to the part about the old woman leaving the circle, the rest of the story rushed into place and Tessie stopped. She looked down at Lady Maitland’s hands now gently making soothing strokes on Tessie’s wrists. “If I may,” Tessie desperately searched the faces of Mr. Randolph and the Reverend both of whom hovered over her. “I think I must save the rest of my story for the Lady only.”

“Most certainly, my dear,” replied Lady Winchester. “We will let you go to your bed now and you and I can talk on the morrow.”

“No,” Tessie said solemnly. “I mean Lady Maitland.” She turned her gaze from the inquiring looks of the two Mesmerists to the elderly woman. “May we speak alone?”

Several moments of silence elapsed and then Lady Maitland spoke. “Margaret, dear, would you mind taking your guests to the dining room for a time? Please.” Somehow Tessie guessed the ‘please’ was unnecessary under normal circumstances and it spoke of more undercurrents than she could ever understand.

Lady Winchester ushered out the other guests. Reverend Moses laid a gentle hand on Tessie’s brow and followed them out. Mr. Randolph waited a minute longer and then started out of the parlor, stopping just long enough to scoop something off the floor next to Tessie’s chair. Lady Maitland took the opportunity to follow Mr. Randolph to the hall and then pulled the pocket door shut behind him. The lady returned to where Tessie now sat up on the couch.

“I think that I was given a message for you,” Tessie explained, “but it is of a personal nature.”

“Go on, Child.”

“Please, I would rather you call me Tessie . . . I mean Elisabeth.” Tessie felt her earlier panic return.

“Lady Margaret’s secret is safe with me,” smiled Lady Maitland. “I have seen you with the young Winchesters in the city park. I often dress in old clothes and go walking about just to view the city without having to play the part of the grand dame. So I know well who you are, Tessie.”

A weight lifted from Tessie’s shoulders. She felt tears welling up in her eyes again. “You are a real lady,” she said, adding extra measure to the term. “You deserve to be in Heaven.”

“I do hope so, Child . . . Elisabeth.” Lady Maitland grinned conspiratorially. “I have too little time left to make any amends with my Creator.”

“It’s not Him that needs any amends. It is your mother.”

Lady Maitland stiffened. “I owe my mother nothing.”

Tessie considered her words carefully. “She says that you must forgive her for forcing you to marry Lord Maitland instead of the young man you loved. She never thought that Lord Maitland would be so cruel to you.” Tessie watched as Lady Maitland’s controlled exterior melted. From nowhere, Tessie was suddenly aware of the terrible beatings this gentle lady must have endured.

“You spoke with my mother in Heaven?” Tessie could hear the tears in the older woman’s voice.

“I do not think they were in Heaven. At least not the Heaven that the ministers and vicars speak of. Maybe it is the Purgatory that the priests talk about. I do not know where we met. I only know that she was very sad and very worried. She wants you to reach Heaven’s gates with no stain on your soul caused by her.”

Lady Maitland dabbed at her eyes with a lace handkerchief. “I never blamed my mother for my misfortunes. I always knew she was worried that Thomas would never amount to much and that I would be left with nothing but hardship. I, too, did not see the horrible cruelty within Derek’s soul. Hopefully, he was not there with her.”

“I am most certain that someone like him would have gone straight to the Realm of Eternal Punishment,” Tessie was surprised at the conviction in her own voice.

“Thank you, Tessie, for this gift. I am forever in your debt. And here, I thought I was merely amusing a friend by attending this evening. Who would have thought I would be the one to benefit?” She gave a short laugh and hugged Tessie. “Would that I could make you a ward of my own.”

Tessie’s head throbbed again and the room began to blur. “May I have more of the water, please? It seems to lessen the ache in my head.”

Lady Maitland laughed and obliged. Then a thought passed across the elderly woman’s face. “Do not allow the good reverend to try to turn you to his ambitions,” she advised. “If this is a gift, then it is yours to do with as you wish. Just remember, men never have the best interests of women in mind, but only their own gains.”

“I do not think this is a gift.” Tessie replied. “I cannot imagine why one would want to suffer this headache just to speak to the dead. I am satisfied to leave that to Mr. Randolph and the Reverend Moses.”

The next day, Tessie felt as if the events of the night before had been nothing more than a strange dream. As time went on, only the passing of Lady Maitland brought back any real memory of the evening. Tessie’s own life to the end was filled with the joys and tribulations of raising three young girls to be young ladies of merit.

 

No amount of coaching or coaxing from Dr. Baille yielded anything further from Tessie MacBrady. Tessa turned off the tape and started rewinding before he had gotten into his reviving routine. She slipped into bed and pressed closer to Daniel to get warm. Sleep evaded her at first as she ran back over the story she had just heard, especially the part about being psychic. Her dreams were filled with pictures of three young girls growing to young women but the visions did not survive the morning light.



© 2019 Runa Pigden


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

39 Views
Added on February 22, 2019
Last Updated on February 22, 2019
Tags: pigden publications, macGuffin, reincarnation, past lives, seance, Victorian


Author

Runa Pigden
Runa Pigden

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada



About
I grew up as a military kid (father was RCAF) in the provinces of Ontario and Manitoba, Canada throughout the ‘50s and ‘60s. My mother was a published poetess who encouraged reading and wr.. more..

Writing