SOME QUESTIONS ABOUT ETIQUETTE, AUTOMATION, LANGUAGE AND SINCERE MACHINES

SOME QUESTIONS ABOUT ETIQUETTE, AUTOMATION, LANGUAGE AND SINCERE MACHINES

A Story by rutherford
"

More thinking about the digital world in a short essay.

"

“Your call is very important to us,” is perhaps one of the most repeated sentences in the English language thanks to machines.   It is perhaps the most insincere sentence heard today in part because humans never really utter that phrase to other humans.  In fact, that phrase could only be ironic if used by a human.  


I imagine those words are spoken by humans to a mechanical recording device so I suppose it somehow comes full circle to have the machine repeat it back to another human.  


The other day at the self-checkout at the local supermarket chain, the kiosk was programed to say, “Thank you for shopping with us, please come again.”  


The natural response when a person says, “Thank you,” is to say, “you’re welcome.”    


When a machine articulates that phrase, it makes no sense to respond “you’re welcome” or “drop dead.”


Is the concept of language fundamentally changed when one of the parties is no longer a human?  The words just become markers without meaning and lacking in sincerity.  


Someone, somewhere thought machines should be programed to issue human-like phrases either pre-recorded or through computer modulation to sound like a voice.  The problem is that sentiments like saying “you’re important” and “thank you” can only have meaning when uttered by a human.  


Maybe programmers should step back and have the machines utter purely factual statements, like, “you are on hold for another 10 minutes.”  Or “this is the end of your transaction.”  


And maybe this would do something to calm the relationship between humans and machines.


© 2013 rutherford


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I secretly believe that the machines are pandering to my ego and when they meet after work hours for a WD 40 cocktail they laugh at me.

Posted 9 Years Ago


This is such an interesting train of thought!

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
2 Reviews
Added on September 15, 2013
Last Updated on September 15, 2013
Tags: machines, recordings, digital life, automation

Author

rutherford
rutherford

About
Misguided visionary playing with words. Strongly encourage comments that will improve my pieces. If you friend me, I ask that you have first looked at my writing and willing to offer some helpful re.. more..

Writing