Chapter One: Crime

Chapter One: Crime

A Chapter by ryssa

-1-

Crime


“Paloma, are you sure?” Crae asked. We sat in the shadows behind the bank, pressed up against the cold brick wall. I looked at him, making out his face in what little light the lamp screwed into the bricks offered.
“It’s the last resort, Crae. I have no other way to help my family.” I said. I crouched down next to him. Tears threatened to sting my eyes, but I couldn’t cry now.
“It’s not too late to turn back,” He offered.
“Crae, look at me. I’m sitting behind a bank with a Glock 9mm. It is too late to turn back. I have to do this. For my family.” I said. I shoved the clip in and cocked the gun, taking a deep breath to collect myself.
“I know you do...I just worry about you. I don’t want to you to do anything you are going to regret.” He said. Crae and I had been best friends since birth. His mom had passed away during the delivery and his dad had been killed in the third world war. My mother had been the nurse that delivered him and, being his mom’s best friend, she took him in and we had done everything together ever since.
“I know. If it’ll help my family, I won’t regret it. No matter what it is.” I said. I searched his eyes for something, anything. I found fear.
“Don’t be scared. Everything will be okay.” I assured him.
“Pfft, scared? Me? Never. I know everything will be fine. You are incredibly talented, and I have no doubt that you will pull this off. You know, though, they probably have pretty heavy artillery in there,” He warned.
“I got it under control.” I said. He nodded, closing his eyes.
“Are you sure you want to do this to yourself?” He asked.
“I don’t have time to think about myself. Besides, being a wanted fugitive? Sounds kind of fun, don’t you think?”
“I guess, but at fifteen?”
“Bring it on. It’s time.” I said, standing. He stood with me, grabbing my arm.
“Put these under your tongue and let them dissolve before you go.” He said, dropping two little orange pills in my hand. I slipped them under my tongue. They tasted sweet, like raspberries.
“What are these for?” I asked once they had dissolved.
“I’m praying you won’t find out,” He said. He looked in my eyes, “Come out of there, alright?”
“Promise. Have the car ready, alright?”
“Promise.” He said. He touched his forehead to mine as we interlocked our little fingers.
I stood up, clicking the safety off on the gun. I took another deep breath. I walked around the dark corner, flattening myself against the wall. I waited for the sound of rock against glass. Crae breaking the security cameras.
“Go,go,go!” He whispered loudly, waving me off with his hand. I ran, tucking the gun in the back of my pants. I walked into the Plaza Bank, casually as possible.
“Hello, how can I help you today?” A friendly sounding woman behind the front desk smiled down at me. I breathed in through my nose, composing my mental status.
“Yes, I’d like to make a withdrawal.” I said.
“Okay, and how much will you be taking out?”
“All of it.”
“I’m sorry?” She said, confused. I pulled the gun out from behind me, pointing it at the tiny space between her eyes.
“I don’t want any trouble. Just open the vault under the desk, and give me everything.” Her eyes widened, and one hand reached for the phone while the other reached underneath the desk to sound the silent alarm that would make the police show up.
“Stop! Right now! I don’t want to shoot anyone, but so help me God, I will if I have to. Don’t push the alarm or call the police and everything will be fine. You’ll get to live.” I said. She began to cry.
“Please, don’t shoot. I have a family!”
“So do I, and that’s why I’m doing this. The vault. Open it, now.” I said, pointing under the desk with the barrel of the gun.
“Okay, okay.” She said, putting her hands up. She bent down and I listened for the click of the safe lock coming open.
“How much is it?” I asked as she put three stacks of cash out on the counter.
“Sixteen thousand.” She said.
“Thank you. You’ve done well cooperating. Now, I’m going to leave here, quietly, and disappear. You know what I’m saying? No cops, no alarms.”
“Okay, okay, I swear. Please, just don’t hurt anyone.” She begged.Tears streamed down her face and for a second I felt bad, like I wanted to take it all back and apologize. Well it was too late to take it back, but it wasn’t too late to apologize.
“I’m sorry.” I said, picking up the money and stuffing it down the front of my shirt. I turned and ran for the exit where Crae was waiting in the Lexus. I looked back at the woman as I opened the door and climbed in.


© 2012 ryssa


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

162 Views
Added on March 5, 2012
Last Updated on March 6, 2012


Author

ryssa
ryssa

About
I really like to write and I am hoping to get a double major in photography and creative writing. I am very passionate about what I do and I like speaking French and I am learning Italian becuase I th.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by ryssa


Bite of Death Bite of Death

A Book by ryssa