Taking Chances

Taking Chances

A Stage Play by Samantha Jane
"

It's my monologue for drama. It's real, For me anyway.

"

 I thought she was my best friend. I seriously believed that, and after 6 years, wouldn’t you? We’d grown up together, she was more my sister than my best friend. We were so alike, we loved the same things- music, movies, shows, all that. We played sports together and always hung out- that included at school. She was my everything, and I know a lot of people say that, but I mean it. She had saved me from myself so many times- then she disappeared.

 

I don’t remember what happened; it was like someone pressed a button then bam, I had lost her. She was still at school, and still came over and we still hung out and all that, but I didn’t know her anymore. She got her hairdresser to cut her long, brown curls to a short, black ‘do, and she tore through her wardrobe, threw out all her clothes and replaced them with dark jumpers and pants. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. Neither could her netball team. Their team captain quit only a few games before their grand final. It was totally unbelievable. We never really found the reason as to why she was doing what she was doing. My A-grade best friend disappeared and became the D-grade ‘leave me alone’ girl, and after only a few days, I was over it. I walked straight to her and said “give me my best friend back”, but it didn’t work. Only a few days after that conversation, she came over, tears streaming down her cheeks. Her dark jumper was darker than usual, especially around her wrists. I pulled her straight into my arms and dragged her up the stairs which is when I realised what was going on. She sobbed and continuously apologised, then pulled up her sleeves. I screamed, and gasped, and burst into tears. My best friend, my funny, smart, caring best friend, had slit her wrists, and had slit them so deep, that every second, she got paler. I was scared, not only for her, but her life. I made Mum drive her straight to the hospital- we were almost too late. I have never been so shaken in my life. The doctors sent us home and first the first time in my life, I waited up all night and didn’t sleep at all. I waited all day, then got the call I was waiting for. My best friend was okay. Not good, but okay…in recovery, and for the few days she was in there, hooked to machines, I finally got my best friend back. Never mind what she had done, the past is the past; those days were like old times. We laughed about what we did when we were little, and then cried because that’s what we missed. Then she apologised for everything, said she was stupid and shouldn’t have done it, and we went back to normal. We had a lot of fun, despite everything.

 

The next day was the day I lost my best friend- for good. She was discharged from hospital but never went home. Four hours later they found her dead in the middle of the train tracks. I couldn’t believe it. Only the day before, we were laughing and enjoying ourselves, and I was constantly telling her it would be okay. I just wish I had been right, but then again, we can’t all live in a world where wishes come true, can we?

© 2009 Samantha Jane


Author's Note

Samantha Jane
I'm not looking for sympathy, or even criticism. I just want to share what people call my "gift".

My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow, this is really good. One though is that you made it seem like she had no reason for doing what she did. No one commits suicide for no reason. Maybe tell a little bit more about it. Like if she had been acting depressed or distant. Describe that. And maybe, if it's not too personal, tell exactly why she was depressed and decided to commit suicide. I think it will be a great monologue though. Good luck and sorry for your loss (even though you're not looking for sympathy).

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wow, this is really good. One though is that you made it seem like she had no reason for doing what she did. No one commits suicide for no reason. Maybe tell a little bit more about it. Like if she had been acting depressed or distant. Describe that. And maybe, if it's not too personal, tell exactly why she was depressed and decided to commit suicide. I think it will be a great monologue though. Good luck and sorry for your loss (even though you're not looking for sympathy).

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

185 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 18, 2009

Author

Samantha Jane
Samantha Jane

Melbourne, Australia



About
I'm fifteen, I'm in year ten studying English and English Literature as well as various other arts. I've been writing since i was six, my first piece was 'The Little Bird'. I am now writing a novel en.. more..

Writing
Fearless Fearless

A Story by Samantha Jane