The Hare and The Tortoise

The Hare and The Tortoise

A Story by Sabit Biswas
"

Once upon a time there lived a hare in a jungle. She was very proud of her swift foot. Often she made fun of the slowness a tortoise, her neighbour. The hare used to throw challenges...

"

The Hare and The Tortoise/ Slow and steady wins the race

 

Once upon a time there lived a hare in a jungle. She was very proud of her swift foot. Often she made fun of the slowness a tortoise, her neighbour. The hare used to throw challenges to the tortoise whenever they met.

 

One morning they met and the hare said as usual, "You have as many legs as I have. But I am sure that you can not run as fast as I can’’. Saying this it started to laugh in a very ugly way. It also said, “most probably you can not run at all". The modest tortoise was tired of such challenging moods of the envious hare. He accepted the challenge and said." You can run quite fast, no doubt. But I think you can talk even faster than you can." At this, the hare felt very delighted and negligently agreed to run a race. She said, "Come and let's fix a date for the race. They fixed a date. On the fixed date the tortoise and the hare came to the starting point. A bear came to see the race. He acted as the referee. The race began with the signal of the bear. The hare began to run very fast. She was sure of her success. She jumped and jumped. She ran two miles at a stretch within a few minutes. The tortoise was far behind her. The hare stopped and decided to take rest. She thought. "I can have a good sleep before the tortoise comes up." Thinking so, the hare went to sleep in a bush. She thought that within few seconds she will be able to overtake the tortoise. But the tortoise walked nonstop. He did not stop anywhere. He ran slowly but steadily. When he came to the bush, he saw the lazy hare lying asleep. He smiled and passed him quietly. When it was about to reach the goal, the hare was still sleeping. when the hare woke up, it was already evening. She immediately started to move faster and faster. But alas! It was too late. When she saw the destination from a little distance, the tortoise was crossing the winning post.

 

The hare felt ashamed and realized that,

"Slow and steady wins the race.

© 2015 Sabit Biswas


Author's Note

Sabit Biswas
please leave what you felt in your heart...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This timeless nursery story which has so much to teach has been written very beautifully. The importance of consistency in life, work, relationships and all that one does can never be underestimated. The fact that "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." is just reinforced by the story. The story will never fail to illustrate the downfall which almost always follows pride.
There are more versions of the story on the internet. I would recommend you to have a look on them.
Good luck. Happy writing. :)

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

354 Views
2 Reviews
Added on June 29, 2015
Last Updated on June 29, 2015
Tags: hare, tortoise

Author

Sabit Biswas
Sabit Biswas

Dhaka, Hinduism, Bangladesh



About
Hallo friends, this is Sabit Biswas from Dhaka, Bangladesh. I have been writing offline on various topics since 2006. I have completed my graduation and post graduation in English from Department of E.. more..