Evoking Message

Evoking Message

A Story by lyfeinametro
"

A short story about 2 ladies and their barrier of communication

"
Emma, a working mother was pulling the drawers of her closet to stack the washed clothes, when the bell rang. She thought “It must be maid”. To her relief her maid had returned from a long holiday. Working for almost 24 by 7 from past few weeks Emma was completely distressed and her house was not less than a mechanic shop with things spread out everywhere. Kids shoes, used utensils, washed and unwashed clothes, school books, her own hand bag… they were enjoying inside the house like a getaway from the destined places.“Madam, you are treating me inhuman” spoke the maid in anger. “Whatttttt?” Emma reacted not knowing what’s coming to her.

“What does that mean treating you inhuman? DO you even know what it means?” said Emma. “ Since I was on holiday you have not kept the house neat and tidy. You have piled the entire kitchen with used plates and utensils. You have even dumped unused vessels for me to wash. I am also a human being…” Emma stopped her in between and spoke “My dear, if you vanish unannounced all of a sudden, and make me the maid for almost a month, do you even realize what I went thru? Working at 2 places is like a blood bath everywhere. Listen I don’t want to argue with you, I am getting late for work. I won’t get a job replacement if I disappear like you.

Steve, just see if she wants to continue or not. I am leaving for work, will drop Mishel to the school. After she said bye to her little angel at the school gate, she recapped the morning incident while she drove. For the past 25 days she was working like a machine from cooking, feeding, cleaning, and sorting at home to meetings, trainings and cracking deals at work. She had hardly slept with peace. More than 50% of the working class prefers to hire domestic help to make their life smoother. But Emma’s story doesn’t seem to be a peaceful one.

Tracy, Emma’s maid was back from her hometown after enjoying a peaceful vacation with her cousins. One of her cousins was getting married. She spoke to Emma a day before she left for the vacation. She had said “Mam, I will be off for 3 weeks for a wedding.” Emma had said “OK”. Tracy was happy that her employer agreed to grant such a long vacation.

On the other hand, Emma was sealed to her presentation that was a deal cracker for her when this conversation took place. Had she not concentrated on that; her company would have lost a huge share of business.  Was Tracy right while saying she was being treated inhuman? Or was Emma who was just doing her job got into a phase of inhumanity herself that she got overburdened with household chores along with targets at work.

Life is like a coin, which has head and tail. Sometimes it works out for head and sometimes for tail. Once Emma reached home after work, Tracy was still waiting. She said “I am sorry Mam. I didn’t mean to hurt you, but I am sad that my holidays are over. I was exasperated after seeing so much of work.” “Tracy, I am sorry too. Had I heard you, probably I would have worked out a plan and a back up to support me. But you know at times we just get too selfish and close our senses. So from next time, talk when I give ears so that we don’t end up breaking communication” spoke Emma.

© 2016 lyfeinametro


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

72 Views
Added on May 11, 2016
Last Updated on May 11, 2016
Tags: communication, listening, domestic help

Author

lyfeinametro
lyfeinametro

Delhi, Delhi, India



About
I am Sahana,a pet parent originated in the Dravidian land. I am a trainer by profession, singer by succession and a blogger by choice. I love to capture life moments in form of short stories. more..