Reproaches

Reproaches

A Story by SakuraGirl
"

Short story

"

Wanderlust is a demanding mistress. Autumn sky eyes, long dark hair and all, Carol never stood a chance. Be grateful she had the insight to leave before you two had any babies. Well, not that you were actually able to actively participate in the process, anyway.

I never could figure out this woman! We'd been friends in college, as friends as one can be with one's girlfriend's roommate, but once I proposed Carol she turned all icy. It was like my presence only inspired her to be cynical. She'd kept in touch with my wife and occasionally visited in weekends, to my most obvious reluctance. I never could stand her rummaging dark brown eyes, always made me feel like she was dragging a rake through my brains, scrutinizing me of any thoughts I might have had, good or bad, making them all look bad by default. Sandra! The bitchy friend always showing up between me and my girl's happiness. What was she up to with this parchment-like letter?

Didn't took you long to realize that cyan eyes grow up on the other side of the hill, too. I was wondering when you would make the first wrong move. Guess I didn't need to wait much.
Anyway, I'm writing you this at her request. She loved you, back in the old days. Then she missed you. Never crossed your blondie brains to ask her if she wanted to join you... She'd gotten subscriptions to all the lousy geographical magazines you collaborated with, cropped all your breathtaking sceneries and intriguing articles. And bloody baked your favorite cherry cake each Sunday, just in case... But you know, George, newspapers can't warm up a woman's bed at night, unless lit up by dozens of cigarette stubs.


Cigarette stubs? Carol smoking? Hadn't the fire caught from some bad electric circuits? Is she just being her mean self?...

Have I got your attention, yet? You should - you deserve to, rather - know that Carol attempted suicide after 5 years of seeing you 8 times during a total of 23 days. She luckily failed and the smoke actually cleared her minds. You got the proof 4 months prior the writing of this, and signed for it. Did you even bother reading it, or thought it was another contract from another famous publishing house hungry for your talents and discoveries?

There's not a single phrase in this woman's letter that does not try to offend or hurt me, one way or another. Why would she hate me that much for? I loved my wife, she knew it. They both knew it. And Carol agreed when I got the job. And... Damn!

You, my dear George, have been cheating on your wife for 5 and half years. Not with a woman - maybe with many, God only knows - but with your selfishness. You had a sweet and fragile child of a woman and had no clue how to treasure her. Your time's up now, Georgie.
Since you're reading this, I assume either curiosity forcefully dragged you to the place that was supposed to be your home, or you've gown old and grey and your feet finally broke apart from all the traveling. Either way, the life you left behind is out of reach. For your own sake, consider giving yourself a break. Take a deep breath, come have a f*g, I'm working at the same ol' grungy cafeteria across the cinema. I won't bite this time.
Sarah.
P.S. I never really hated you, by the way. It was something else. 

© 2008 SakuraGirl


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I liked this one. Other than the small errors in spelling, you did a wonderful job! I especially like the line
"I never could stand her rummaging dark brown eyes, always made me feel like she was dragging a rake through my brains."
That one stands out with the interesting comparison.
I didn't quite understand the "cyan eyes grow up on the other side of the hill" statement.
Other than that, you did awesome!

You friend,
Michelle

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I liked this one. Other than the small errors in spelling, you did a wonderful job! I especially like the line
"I never could stand her rummaging dark brown eyes, always made me feel like she was dragging a rake through my brains."
That one stands out with the interesting comparison.
I didn't quite understand the "cyan eyes grow up on the other side of the hill" statement.
Other than that, you did awesome!

You friend,
Michelle

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

180 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 28, 2008

Author

SakuraGirl
SakuraGirl

About
I'm no wannabe writer. Hope I will be, someday. Writing out of pure passion, in my frustratingly decreasing free time, with the slight hope of bringing enjoyment to the braves ones bumping into my .. more..

Writing
Genesis Genesis

A Story by SakuraGirl


Q&A Q&A

A Story by SakuraGirl


Eye Witness Eye Witness

A Story by SakuraGirl