Man's Best Friend

Man's Best Friend

A Story by SakuraGirl
"

short story

"

Two doors, one key – which one would it open? C’mon, Max, you’re good at this. Pick one!

Sure, now’s up to me, smarty pants! A week ago you didn’t even notice me running and jumping and yelling around you “It’s a trick, Marcus, it’s a trick! A bloody trick, you foolish biped sort-of friend!” I’m getting old, dude, you know? Can’t keep looking up for you and biting you away of troubles each and every time your adventures go astray…

Ah, useless sack of fur! Why did I even bother taking you with me? So, there’s the massive bronze one and there’s the nearly rotten wooden one. The latter one looks pretty wasted, I bet I could wrench it down with one good shoulder push… What’ya lookin’ at? I’ve been exercising, got m’self some pretty nice biceps!

I’m looking at your pathetic self kissing your own arm! No wonder girls run away from you like devils from the church door. You’re so in love with your own self that there’s no love left to give to someone else, and there’s no room left in you for someone else to place some love. Oh, but what do I know? Please do go on. Two doors, one key, that was supposed to be easy, remember? You thought yourself pretty clever: “Now that’s a hard one” – I quote – “try the very first that comes to your mind and if it opens, voila. If not, just try the other one. What’s the big deal?” That was rhetorical, of course, you never gave a thought about it.

Alright, while you’re out there staring with that blank stupid dog figure at me, I’ma try getting a bit physical with the wooden one. Stay back.

Don’t…

Aaah! Damn! This thing’s much stronger than it seems. Fetch me the flashlight boy, I think I spotted something, a sort of parchment I guess.

Whatever…

Good boy. Let’s see what this little scroll’s got for us. Will you please hold the lantern for me? There, thank you.

Oh, wha’d’ya know, he’s got manners!

Instructions manual?? Wasn’t this supposed to be some medieval scenery thing? Anyway, it says: “Dear visitor, please read these instructions carefully. The scroll will self destroy once you get to read its last line and unroll it completely. The key you most probably possess opens both of the doors in front of you. Though you can only try it once. You must place the key inside its designated placeholder and then push it back. It’ll sink into the door’s structure and cannot be taken back. You’re hand must keep contact with the door’s “knob” for it to open. For your own safety, automatic ties will wrap it in place. Choose wisely. This is the last line.” Heard that, Max? It’ll self destroy, hehe.

Hear that, Marcus. If you’d just take a look at the crumples in your hand…

Oh, my! It didn’t lie! Now, think Marcus, think. You’ve got two doors. A bronze one that probably is as solid as it looks, and a wooden one, that proved more solid than it seems. The old lady said there’s valuable price behind each one. I bet the skinny witch knew about the one and only try thing! Well, we’ve gotten so far, we can’t push back now. Can we, Max?

Well, since you’re asking, yes. We can and we should. I’m not having a great feeling about this. But again, you’re not listening.

So. The wooden one seemed fragile. But then it wasn’t. This means it really protects something valuable. Something much more valuable than a wooden door would be able to protect. But then again, the bronze one’s definitely solid. Could hide some ancient treasure or, or, I know, even better! A treasure map to another hidden treasure, and we get to go on another adventure, Max! Yes, that’s it boy! I’m going for the bronze, give me the key.

Uhmm… you sure? I’m keeping my tail low, you know, just in case…

No, wait! It’s a trick. It always is a trick! You know, like in the fairy tales, when they put beautiful doors that seem to hide shinny treasure and instead there’s a snakes filled pit waiting behind? Could be the case. And the wooden, ugly and dirty doors hide the real treasure? Damn, this is hard!

Oh, you’re getting wise in the 24th hour, there’s still hope!

But it was just too solid for a wooden door, Max! I tell you! I’m quite strong, you know, and this was one solid of a door… I bet they deliberately made it so, to make me think it protects some high values there, while it only locks away tones of dust.

Marcus, my man, the exit’s this way. Follow me.

Get back, Maxie! Here, jump up. We’re doing this together!

Yeah, better in your arms, but just so you know: you are doing this…

It said for my own safety… Shinny shinny oldie bronzy underneath decades, or maybe centuries of dust. There, the key fits in perfectly, of course it does. Now, my boy, if you’d just place your fluffy paw on the knob for me…

© 2008 SakuraGirl


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

173 Views
Added on December 8, 2008

Author

SakuraGirl
SakuraGirl

About
I'm no wannabe writer. Hope I will be, someday. Writing out of pure passion, in my frustratingly decreasing free time, with the slight hope of bringing enjoyment to the braves ones bumping into my .. more..

Writing
Genesis Genesis

A Story by SakuraGirl


Q&A Q&A

A Story by SakuraGirl


Eye Witness Eye Witness

A Story by SakuraGirl