Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by Stars and Whales

Chapter 4


Gun returned to the hut the next morning with a man by his side. This man was a sorcerer, and his name was Faramond Ivey.

“Up and at em, Hornan! I got you a trainer!” Gun yelled to Hornan inside the hut.

When Hornan walked out of the hut he saw a middle-sized man with a black cap, and curly, dark brown hair.

“Well, he’s all yours Faramond!” Gun said, beaming.

“Ah, and here is Mr. Droverson. I’ll talk to you later Gun.” Faramond told Gun with a shrug. Gun walked away, leaving Hornan and Faramond alone.

“Mr. Droverson. Gun has told me plenty about you, so no need introducing yourself. I am Faramond Ivey, a sorcerer. I understand you need help using your magic wisely. I know a lot more about Wabblot magic than your friend Gun, let me tell you.” Faramond began. “Say, do you have a mark on your forehead...I hear most Wabblots are born with one.”

Hornan considered whether it would be wise to show Faramond his mark. He didn’t really see the point, seeing as he thought of it as just a couple odd shapes and dots. Then he shrugged, and pulled up his hair for Faramond to see.

Faramond’s eyes bugged out at the sight of it. “Couldn’t be.” he muttered to himself so Hornan couldn’t hear. Then he looked Hornan in the eye. “Blimey, Hornan. Do you know what your mark means?”

“No, and I DON’T CARE.” Hornan replied with a grunt.

“Well, boy, know this: that mark is possibly the most important key to the fate of our world.” Faramond shrugged. “Ok, let’s do some magic, huh?”

Faramond explained to Hornan that most magic for Wabblots can only be achieved according to emotion. “When you’re angry but brave, you can generate powerful magic. If you’re a hopeless dope who gets scared in tough situations, weaker magic. Depending on the strength and perseverance in your heart, you can bring out really advanced magic. Say you want to summon something to be of aid for you. A dragon, for example. You will not be able to summon it unless you really need it, and you really mean it. You have to really bring out the fire within you and sparks will fly. Does that make sense?”

Hornan raised his eyebrows. “I summoned a dragon once. It was...it was when my dad died. I sent it on the king of Mogbottom, my home. I guess I succeeded...that’s why I’m here right now, I suppose.”

“Great! Listen...your dad had just been killed, right. Your emotions were running high. Summoning a dragon is pretty advanced, for sure. Let’s practice some more, ok?”

Faramond took Hornan away from the hut. “Ok Hornan, listen, I want you to just really put everything in this. I’m going to describe a situation, and you have to truly be there. Alright, here we go. Picture this: you’re in the middle of a Wabblot battlefield. Death is surrounding you. Wabblots are murdering Wabblots. You see Venkemith Sharpe; he’s laughing madly as he slaughters hundreds. Then, he heads in your direction. He closes in...he is murdering all that cross his path in his onslaught towards you...finally you meet your foe…”

Hornan let out a loud bellow and released all his wrath upon the imaginary Sharpe. A massive explosion erupted where Sharpe would have stood, and a huge tornado was engulfed within the flames. Then Hornan fell to his knees. Faramond put a hand on Hornan’s shoulder. “Yes, I believe we can expect much from you, Hornan Droverson. Much to be achieved, and much to defeat. That’s all for today, alright. Great job. Come on, let’s go back to Gun’s place.”

Hornan stood and followed Faramond back to the hut and they both took a seat inside. Hornan instantly let out a loud sigh and closed his eyes in his chair. “Much to be achieved, and much to defeat. Much to be achieved, and much to defeat.” he thought to himself over and over again.

As Hornan had his eyes closed shut, Faramond pulled out his staff. Hornan’s hair was brushed up in the wind, and Faramond silently stood and began to duplicate Hornan’s knowledge into his own brain. When he was finished he looked up and gave a sly grin for his success.

Right then, Gun walked through the door, his jolly face beaming at them. “How’d it go, Faramond? Hornan?”

“Very well, Gun. I think Hornan understands now how to use his magic and how to use it to the best of his ability.”

Gun looked excited at this. “Well, that’s fabulous! How’d it go fer you, Faramond? Did ya think it was worth yer time?”

Faramond grinned again. “Yes...I guess you could say it was WELL worth my time. Wouldn’t take back a second of it.”

Gun looked over now and noticed Hornan asleep in his chair. “Well, better give him some rest, huh? C’mon Faramond let’s take this outside, mate.”

Gun and Faramond left out the door, stepping out into a bright afternoon sun. “Um...say, Faramond, did Hornan show you the mark he’s got?”

“Why, yes he did. You know what it means, don’t you? Gun, we could do this together. We can have complete world power! It..it’s in the prophecy, Gun! I know we can do this! I duplicated Hornan’s knowledge into my own brain, and now I can see the path! Clearly, Gun! IT’S MINE, GUN! OURS! IT CAN BE OURS! Come with me, Gun. Please!”

Gun looked astonished. “You didn’t! You can’t do that, Faramond. I won’t let you! It isn’t for you to do! You’ll never make it anyway, they’re heavily guarded, all of them. Listen, mate, this is for Hornan, he was born with the map! That’s what it says! This is for Hornan, Faramond. Hornan!”

“Well then, mate, I’d better be going now if you ain’t gonna be joining me.” Faramond said, turning to leave.

Gun shoved Faramond to the ground hard, but instantly Faramond regained composure and ran.

“Ahh, blimey! Never shoulda trusted that blasted backstabber!”

Gun went back into the hut and woke up Hornan with a start. Gun grabbed the book from his coat and shook it in Hornan’s face. “Listen, Hornan, I’ve got a story to tell you.”
















© 2015 Stars and Whales


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You're doing well with this book. I like the way you wrote Faramond, I certainly didn't see that coming, he's not the sorcerer teacher you would expect and I like that twist. And because of that it seems that Sharpe is the kind of twisted characters I like in a fictional story. I think that "Ok" is not a word these characters would have in their vocabulary yet.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stars and Whales

8 Years Ago

Appreciate that, Alondra! I will try to post the next chapter tomorrow.



Reviews

You're doing well with this book. I like the way you wrote Faramond, I certainly didn't see that coming, he's not the sorcerer teacher you would expect and I like that twist. And because of that it seems that Sharpe is the kind of twisted characters I like in a fictional story. I think that "Ok" is not a word these characters would have in their vocabulary yet.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stars and Whales

8 Years Ago

Appreciate that, Alondra! I will try to post the next chapter tomorrow.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

200 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 22, 2015
Last Updated on August 23, 2015


Author

Stars and Whales
Stars and Whales

Middle Earth, The Shire



About
"Even Darkness Must Pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines, it will shine out the clearer." -Samwise Gamgee I love to write, and I hope to become a published writer some day. I ho.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Stars and Whales