Chapter 6

Chapter 6

A Chapter by Stars and Whales
"

The journey begins.

"

Chapter 6



“Now, Hornan, it's going to be a long time before we return, so it’s gonna be a lot of walkin’. Keep your eyes and ears open for anything unordinary.” Gun was marching ahead of Hornan, his wild beard flailing every which way with the wind. The two of them were in a grassy field, mountains in view that peaked as high as the clouds, the radiant sun beaming upon all nature. The gentle creaking and whispering of the leaves welcomed Hornan and Gun to the astounding paradise. Hornan appreciated the beauty more than anything ever before, for Mogbottom wasn’t the prettiest of homes.

Hornan then thought back on his life before, and what he was now set out to do. He had not once considered how drastically his life had changed since his father had been killed.

“So Gun, what’s your life been like?” Hornan asked as they walked.

Gun smiled. “Well, Hornan...one could say I’ve had quite a life. It was very bizarre growing up not knowing, you know, what I am. Ah know I must’ve had parents. I mean...I know ah did. I just don’t remember them. Not one second of them. Never met nobody like me and never expect to. Ah grew up by myself, without a home or nothin...just had to live wherever I could and live off of whatever I could. You could say I learned a lot about life out there...alone in the fields, sleeping under the stars every night. Well...I’m glad ah met you Hornan...yer a good kid.”

Hornan raised his eyebrows. “Oh. Well...sounds like you had it tougher than me, Gun. I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be, Hornan. Ah’m fine. Always been.”

“Ok. Well, Gun...I’m glad you’re with me. I can’t thank you enough for everything you’ve done for me, unnecessarily.”

“Aw, no problem, Hornan. I appreciate you sayin’ that.”

Suddenly the sound of quick feet plundering the ground could be heard coming in their direction. “Oh...no! Hornan, follow me. We have to hide.”

“What? Gun? What’s going on!” Hornan asked as they ran off the path. As they crouched behind a bush, Gun replied. “See fer yerself, Hornan.”

Huge wolf like creatures bounded along the grassy path. “Those are Bogrags, Hornan. Dangerous if they get close enough. Practically blind, they are, but their scent is unmatched in these parts.”

The pack of Bogrags seemed to have passed by, but Gun and Hornan stayed put another couple minutes just to be sure. “Can we go now, Gun?”

Gun exhaled heavily out of his nose. “Well, alright, Hornan, I think we’re safe now. Let’s get going.”

As Hornan got up and brushed himself off, a huge Bograg leapt from behind him, tackling him to the ground. It’s claw grazed Hornan’s face, leaving a huge gash on his cheek, seeping heaps of blood. Gun stood, bellowing bloody murder, and punched the aggressive animal in it’s stomach. Then Gun grew double his size, frightening the Bograg enough for it to frantically run away.

“Hornan... are you okay?” Gun asked, shrinking back to his normal size.

“It’ll...uh...it’ll be okay, Gun.” Hornan squeezed out the words through intense pain.

“And...I didn’t know you could do that!”

“Well, now you know, Hornan, now you know. C’mon we’d better find a safe place to sleep for the night, you need rest.”

After walking a while, they find a large tree with lots of shade around it. “This is the spot, Hornan. It’ll be cold, that’s for sure, as well as windy, but we should be safe here.”

“It’s perfect, Gun. I’m looking forward to sleeping under the stars...sort of like you did, huh? ”

Gun grinned. “Sleep well.”

Night comes quick, and Hornan found a nice, flat place to try to get some sleep.  Already hundreds of stars were emerging out of the black sky and showing off their smiles in a radiant beam from the heavens. These dazzling stars are beacons of hope for all the lost and desperate souls of the world, and they look as if a large hand had tossed diamond dust into the sky. These stars give off their warmth freely, shimmering in the absolute darkness. In places they are golden and blue, glittering in their heavenly finery. The ones furthest away, almost outside the span of comprehension, look like flashing lightbulbs in a veil of darkness. They have a faint, silver tint and they look like they were the distant, glittering sparks from an angel. It seemed that there was a wild, tremendous party with fireworks and fire in outer space and Hornan felt privileged to witness it.

He soon falls soundly asleep to the gentle creaking of moon-splashed trees, whispering leaves, and the hoot of a ghostly owl.

“Goodnight, Hornan.” Gun whispers.



© 2015 Stars and Whales


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The longer I read your work, the more I notice the mistakes. They're good, but they lack details. Without the necessary details I find it hard to get attached to your characters. I feel you should work on making the character-reader connection since characters are the ones who carry the story. Of course, this is an opinion. Do with it what you will.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MightyMouse

7 Years Ago

Just think of people. That's how I do it. I take all the things I know about myself and my friends a.. read more
Stars and Whales

7 Years Ago

This is great, thanks, I'm definitely going to review this and try to implant it into my brain for f.. read more
MightyMouse

7 Years Ago

You're welcome. I just came up with that short clip off the top of my head. I also find that reading.. read more



Reviews

The longer I read your work, the more I notice the mistakes. They're good, but they lack details. Without the necessary details I find it hard to get attached to your characters. I feel you should work on making the character-reader connection since characters are the ones who carry the story. Of course, this is an opinion. Do with it what you will.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MightyMouse

7 Years Ago

Just think of people. That's how I do it. I take all the things I know about myself and my friends a.. read more
Stars and Whales

7 Years Ago

This is great, thanks, I'm definitely going to review this and try to implant it into my brain for f.. read more
MightyMouse

7 Years Ago

You're welcome. I just came up with that short clip off the top of my head. I also find that reading.. read more
About this chapter, its good, kept me interested like all the others. I just think that you wrote to much about the stars, why don't you leave one sentence from that paragraph and save the rest for another time because they're really great explanations, but you shouldn't dedicate a whole paragraph to that. You're very good explaining everything else.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

336 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 27, 2015
Last Updated on August 27, 2015


Author

Stars and Whales
Stars and Whales

Middle Earth, The Shire



About
"Even Darkness Must Pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines, it will shine out the clearer." -Samwise Gamgee I love to write, and I hope to become a published writer some day. I ho.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Stars and Whales