Part 1: Chapter 5

Part 1: Chapter 5

A Chapter by Stars and Whales
"

Thank you! I'm very excited to share this chapter!

"

Chapter 5


I remember when people used to write and sell books. Well, to be honest I wasn’t alive back when people would actually print novels and read them in a hardbook or paperback format, but S.Z always tells me about it. When I was very young, you could find novels online, and that was all. It was free of charge, and, if anything, the writer was only given personal satisfaction. And so I read a few books online; as a matter of fact, the publishing company that was taken over by my gun business was the last company in charge of selecting the novels that were to be published online. They would edit and review, but not much else came from it. Then of course, literature began to die out, and the world entered into its time of darkness. -Journal Entry 3, October 8, 2101


Lora’s gun was gone. When Phil had taken it from her, he had handed it off to Gus. Still it remained in Gus’ possession. It was probably for the best.

She lay in bed, thoughts swarming her. The MassDeath Day was exactly one week from then. The Revival was a week after that. Lora wondered which Revival Group she would be placed in. That is, of course, assuming she would survive MassDeath Day. If she was to make it through alive, she certainly hoped she wouldn’t be placed in the Revival Group with the People.

The sun shone brightly through her window, sparking in her eyes and allowing her to feel its warmth. She was still in S.Z’s bed, and she rolled over onto her right shoulder. Then she saw a note on the table beside her bed. She reached over and grabbed the creamy white paper, hearing a pleasant crinkle. She began to open it, but then paused. The note was likely from S.Z...right? Of course it was. Who else would it be? But why was he leaving her notes instead of waking her himself to tell her personally? Not only that, but why was he leaving her alone in his house? “I guess I’ll find out.” she thought.

The note read, in what looked like quickly scribbled handwriting, “Lora- I have something to show you next to the YesRife Mountains...note: don’t go to the NoRife Mountains please.”

YesRife Mountains? What? Why? Lora was confusing herself even more just by thinking about what it could possibly be that S.Z needed to show her. The Rife Mountains were a series of mountain ranges stretching as far as the eye can see. Half of the mountains rested within a beautiful plot of land one would probably call “paradise.” It was largely unvisited.These were the YesRife Mountains. The other half lay in an ugly brown splotch of the spectrum, and the blackish, ashy mountains on this half were surrounded by disgusting, crap-colored dirt. Of course, these were the NoRife Mountains. This revolting description could basically be made for all of America then. America had become almost as ugly as Phil’s grimy, black, molars and gums. Almost.

The beautiful area of land was really all that remained in America of a purely beautiful environment. Sure, you may find some flourishing, green grass in some places, but never like the YesRife Mountains. And it wasn’t on a large plot of land either. It was small, yet diverse. If S.Z wanted Lora there, she would be sure to go. But there was a problem. This land could be found many, many miles from where Lora currently resided in Los Angeles. S.Z had a car; it wasn’t a surprise he was able to get there quickly.

But Lora had no vehicle, and the only option for her was to walk. She rarely left her apartment, except, of course, to go to work. She was usually confined to her small apartment room and her tiny, boring office.

Of course, there was always the option of hitching a ride with a stranger. But was this really an option? Would anyone actually be kind enough to give her a lift? Lora assumed not. So what other options did she have? She was very confused as to why S.Z had left her behind, as well as why he had essentially implied that he wanted her to walk to the Rife Mountains. What was he thinking?

She left S.Z’s apartment to grab some breakfast. The air was cold as she stepped out into its icy frame. Goosebumps began to pop up all over her skin. The streets were surprisingly quiet this morning, and Lora could see littered bottles and cans rolling up and down the streets. She grabbed some toast and peanuts from Toast & Peanuts, then continued on her way. She realized she had no other choice but to walk, and she definitely felt the need to not ditch out on S.Z.

As she set off for the long walk, thoughts shot her in the head, seeping deep into her brain. This would be the first time she had left Los Angeles since the Demolition War. Why? Had she been so trapped in the abomination of her country that she couldn’t escape? Had she been so wrapped up in it that she joined the others in their pitiful state, and became just as lifeless, just as dark, as the rest of them? A loud buzzing sound echoed through her brain, and she knew she had to escape the abyss. Escape this terroristic world she called home.

The sun was higher in the sky now, its rays smiling down upon her face. It was as if the colors and intensity of the light were just enough to calm her. The sun was like a great, big, romantic, inspirational fire in the sky. Its rays seemed friendly in a way. Lora walked along the side of the road, watching dust and debris flying through the air. The NoRife Mountains were coming into view.

They were high arching and tall, but it was covered in black splotches and cracks were in the dirt. They seemed in worse shape than when Lora had last seen them many years back. Two of the black spots looked like large, dark, evil eyes. Fallen trees surrounded the area, dead and ruined, cracks splitting them right up the middle. And now the sun seemed to look down upon these mountains as a disheartened father would look down in anguish at a son, and at what this son had become.

Lora took a deep breath. Her insides bubbled, and now she traded her discouraging thoughts of the mountains for thoughts of S.Z, and what he needed to show her. What was in that area besides beautiful nature and the YesRife Mountains? For all she knew, nothing. What if S.Z only wanted her there to be with nature for a little while...wouldn’t that be a waste of time? Lora figured the answer was yes, but she also felt she could safely assume S.Z wouldn’t take her there just for the view. There was something else, something bigger. Yes, a grander plan by the author and hopeful individual, S.Z Write.

Then Lora saw a big, bouncy truck heading up the road. It was literally bouncing up and down as it swerved and veered up the old road. The truck was purple in color, and Lora was fascinated by its odd appearance and strange driving. It was making its way up the road at a very fast pace. When it got closer, Lora realized it looked like it was going head on in her direction. She squinted her eyes and frowned. It picked up pace now. Lora jumped out of harm's way just as it veered off the road once more, then the truck barreled into a large boulder far off the road.

“What is this skulk thinking?” she thought. She ran down to see the damages and how the driver was doing. She went right up to it and put her hand on the purple paint. Then she opened the door and nobody was there. She looked around the absolutely mauled insides of the car. What was going on?

Then she saw a small, dirty looking man running in the opposite direction. He had mud covering his jeans, and dark brown hair. No doubt this was the driver; he had likely abandoned his truck before impact, then escaped unnoticed with just a few mud stains.

“What a strange little man…” Lora thought, shaking her head. She left the destroyed truck and kept on her way.

The time was gaining on mid-afternoon, though it seemed she’d been walking even longer than that. The YesRife Mountains came into view, and a smile took over her face. Sweat dribbled down her forehead, and her eyes mirrored the sun’s rays. What was she doing with her life? She laughed loudly into the air, bellowing out in rejoice to the heavens. It was time to escape! She gritted her teeth, then she began to run. Tears filled her eyes as the emotion took over. An image of herself curled up in a ball next to a blazing fire while reading “The Lord of the Rings,” online filled her mind. She remembered listening to the inspiring Shire music, also online, which seeped deep into her pores and filled her broken soul. It was all gone now. Why?? Her breaths were quick and her heart beat even faster than her emotions could fill her. The greatest stories came back to her, and the nature enveloped her in a shimmering pond of serenity. She was completely engulfed in it, and her substance absorbed everything around her. The times had gone and left her, but now it was time to bring it all back! Her run turned to a sprint, and the sweat poured faster now. She saw an eagle swoop high above the clouds, and the sun had something to say. She let it speak within her mind, and she knew what it was trying to tell her. It wasn’t necessarily saying anything, but rather it was singing. Singing a melody to be heard throughout the world!


Earth, you are my world

You are my planet

So please stop the madness

And stop the insanity

For you are more than I can take

Earth, oh please

Give us a break

Stop the swarms

and stop the pain

Pick me up when

I’m falling down

Stop the madness

Stop the death

Stop the darkness

and stop the sweat

For this is more than I can take”


These words rang through her head, and she realized it was S.Z that the sun was voicing. She would see him soon. Her running quickly ceased. Then, she entered nature. Yes, beautiful nature. The grass made a crinkling noise as she walked through it. The flowers smelt of a sweet fragrance and brought out the beauty of the place through the touch of a smooth petal. The trees were full and prosperous, looking like that of the tree she’d seen in her dream. She walked through the beauty of the green and the refreshing blue of a rushing stream. Paradise. Lora wished she could truly appreciate this for what it was, but now all she could think about was the fact that her world stayed constant through this beauty that she was in. Nothing changed in America when she dipped her toes in clear water or stood under the shade of a tree. But all she could do was enjoy the moment. Live life in the now and try to put a blank in her mind regarding everything else.

Luscious fruit was growing from the tallest tree of them all. Several were on the ground, and she took a bite out of one. Juice squirted out onto her cheeks and dripped down her face. It was delicious.

“Lora!” Lora spun around in a complete circle. “Hey over here!”

It was S.Z. He strolled up to her and wrapped her in a hug. Lora felt somewhat uncomfortable in the hug, but she didn’t know why. “Follow me.” S.Z said.

They swept through a few bushes, stepped over an anthill, then pushed through some branches into a small clearing. Lora took a deep breath. In the middle, there was a small, abandoned looking shack. Lora exhaled.

“That’s it?” she thought. She looked at S.Z in surprise. “What is this?” she said.

“This? This is a reminder. Well, that's what I see it as. You’ll soon see why. Come check it out.” he said, heading in the direction of the old, worn shack. Lora followed.

S.Z creaked open the door, revealing an old man and a little girl. But this wasn’t just an old man. It was a really old man. His face was so wrinkled that you could hardly even call it that. Yes, it was more like one extremely large wrinkle covering his whole flabby face, rather than many together. He had a cane in his left hand, which was covered in cobwebs. In fact, the whole inside of the shack was covered in cobwebs and dust. The place was like a graveyard.

Then the young girl spoke. “S.Z! You’re back!” she squeaked.

What?! Who was this girl? How did she know S.Z? A relative? No, she didn’t look anything like him: she had thin, dark black hair, and her face showed hints of a Chinese heritage.

S.Z swooped forward and lifted the girl from the ground, laughing and looking like the best of friends. “Um...S.Z? Mind introducing me to the young lady?” Lora said, an irritable tone to her voice.

S.Z set her down and turned to Lora, his face turning stern and serious. “Listen, you might want to take a better look at her grandfather first…” He looked sad.

Lora knew instantly. This old man was dead. “How did it happen, S.Z?”

S.Z looked from Lora, then down to the girl, who had tears in her eyes. “Her name is Tammy. Tammy Lin. Her grandfather died just this morning...I was here with Tammy to witness it.”

Lora’s eye welled up with tears, and her brain felt fuzzy. Why? She didn’t even know the guy. Why was she getting emotional over something like this? It shouldn’t matter to her. It wouldn’t matter to anyone else.

“They’ve lived here since the Demolition War ended. I’ve visited them here every week. He was such a kind man, always gentle and caring for little Tammy. And I know what you’re thinking. They lived here all these years when everybody else was out there in living hell? Well, look at this shack. Does this look like a five star mansion to you? No, Lora. They're in no better a situation than you and I. Anyway, they don’t have much. I’ve been trying to help them. Anyway, I just thought...well, I thought you could benefit from coming here and meeting her because, well….because…”

“What, S.Z? What is it?”

“Because I’m taking her in to live me for the rest of her life.”


© 2015 Stars and Whales


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like the poem and the honest thoughts about earth, book and life. A very good chapter. The discussion and situations were written with skill making each one come alive. Thank you for sharing the excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I like the poem and the honest thoughts about earth, book and life. A very good chapter. The discussion and situations were written with skill making each one come alive. Thank you for sharing the excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I hope one day to have a signed copy of this on my shelf...sorry it has taken me so long to get back, the voices in my head demand to bleed on the paper and I haven't had much time for long stories.I will eventually read it all and hope the best for you and your work!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stars and Whales

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much terry! It means a lot to me that you would give me any time at all to read my work.. read more
terry smith

8 Years Ago

it is hard sometimes, time being what it is...but when someone is talented you want them to know tha.. read more
First of all I really loved the descriptions you used in this chapter for the mountains, I could really start to see the results of the war on the land, and I loved the change of background to the beautiful nature. Though at the beginning I was a little confused when Lora just stood up and left, I would have liked that you'd have described how bad injured she was so the reader could now where her injuries were and what they would cause her. I mean, one day she gets beaten and two days later she gets up and walks from the city all the way to the mountains. But I really loved the part where she starts getting emotional when she see the mountains, I got emotional. Especially when you mention "Lord of the rings". And you did great at describing the old man, but when I imagined him at first I thought he was standing. I hope my opinion helps. Great job!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stars and Whales

8 Years Ago

Definitely! Thanks
This was also very random. If there is a time to talk about where mountains are, it's usually at the beginning, and a random dead guy with a little girl? And what's up with the purple van? A lot of good detail was in this chapter again, so I could see what was going on, but it was like watching a sport you've never played—I didn't know what was going on. I am not perfect, and I don't claim to know everything, but as a reader, I don't like to be confused. Again, I reiterate, slow down and let the story tell itself.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Calibaster

8 Years Ago

I will reread that, but as for the purple van dude, just spend a little more time with him, maybe do.. read more
Stars and Whales

8 Years Ago

Yes. Thank you.
Calibaster

8 Years Ago

You're welcome.
all of your chapters are written well,they are interesting and believable
this is a must for a book or novel, if they become boring people wont read,or buy


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stars and Whales

8 Years Ago

How did I do of that?
 wordman

8 Years Ago

it was interesting and believable,if i were a book reader i would read the book .
Stars and Whales

8 Years Ago

Awesome! Thank you.
Chapter well written. I am very much interested in Lora's reaction to S.Z.'s statement about little Tammy. Keep writing!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

538 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 27, 2015
Last Updated on October 3, 2015


Author

Stars and Whales
Stars and Whales

Middle Earth, The Shire



About
"Even Darkness Must Pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines, it will shine out the clearer." -Samwise Gamgee I love to write, and I hope to become a published writer some day. I ho.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Stars and Whales



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Forever Young Forever Young

A Poem by Gee