Professor Jacob

Professor Jacob

A Story by Sami Khalil
"

An imaginative story with some philosophy...

"

Image result for Professor paintings




Professor Jacob             by Sami Khalil

His last astounding lecture on “Closure.”



His skilled fingers gracefully strummed the ivory and ebony keys, in unrestrained ways. With a command of the piano, his mind drifted towards the lecture he is about to deliver tomorrow, in psychology class, about “Closure.”


As professor Jacob inhaled and exhaled deeply, his eyes drifted sadly to the starry heights, with impugned reveries and moonlit silhouettes. A beloved professor, poet and musician, he taught English literature and Psychology at two community colleges in Upper New York state.


After practicing his soliloquy for an hour, he sat down at the piano to ease his mind a bit as he usually does, gently fading beyond silence, affianced to bittersweet memories. Both parents diseased, many failed relationships, the dumbfounding suicide of some favorite poets like Sylvia Plath and Anne Sexton, he felt the need to talk about a subject close to his heart; one that is filled with many lingering refrains and trodden mourning.


Morning came, filled with panache and peeks of spiraled bellows, spirit soaking the students with great anticipation. Noon time arrived and there was no sign of the professor. The college sent his fiancée to see about him (he disliked modern phones). Unlocking the door of his house with a gifted key, she felt the worst and was in for a sad reveal. His face was resting on the keyboard facing down, lifeless. She knew he had a massive heart attack after rushing him to the hospital. After the funeral, which was attended by most students, she went back to her house now (he willed it to her), trembling from head to toe. She found the lecture paper laid above the piano. She was asked to read it to the whole class as an honor to him.


With percolating emotions and no shallow love, she did, as students held their solemn silence. It stated: “My mind lingers over lissome words, over raging fires and over robed sufferings, moaning to breathe a sigh of relief, for man’s work or narratives are never finished. Closure is a myth, a fallacy, fulfilling not the bullying of truth. There is a harsh spillage of light to find a sense of closure, but, changes and moves are indefinite where time refuses to end itself. Neither stories end nor reality, either. We are trapped by questions of an implied pedantic reader within us, by all mystery. There is that strangeness in many things, even perfect beauty. Death may come, clinging to the eternal, clutching a sense of closure in wild eagerness for oneness of the spirit. Every change we experience heightens the beliefs or suspicions of others. There is no hesitation of judgment in perceptions, for conclusions differ while questions simmer. We are only humans with limitations, with no vantage points, with imponderable leaps of knowledge, some with strong wills, others with feeble ones. Our worlds of dreams and reality are equally horrifying to those unwitting prisoners of both. To have conclusions, we have to grasp fully the vacillations of uncertainty. We must fill the gaps of the story with our benighted limitations for winds a tussling in life-filled drifters. We must enjoy the timeless journey. God bless you all.”


As applause reverberated, his text was etched beneath his merited statue at the college. He became a myth and a legend!  

    

© 2020 Sami Khalil


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Closure is something we give ourselves to save ourselves from the hell of existence. As humans, we are fragile, imperfect and mortal. The unknown is scary and we must fill the gaps. You said it so beautifully.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

Whoa! So true and well said dear poet. Very wise. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your visit.. read more
Rania M

4 Years Ago

My pleasure! Stay safe you and yours! All the best to you.
Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

::::::)))))))))
Beneath the trellis where roses bloom... I heard a sigh of quiet doom where thoughts lie as stars wonder why and so do I cry... Amen

Posted 4 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

Hi Patricia! Beautiful poetry cascade from your pen with emotions spilling around feeding the fields.. read more
Patricia Wedel

4 Years Ago

dearest Sami... I will save your amazing Prose and ponder more... your writing ✍️ is
Dee.. read more
Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

You humble us with your kindness and make us proud with your talent. Be safe.....
sticky point from a piano player: you strum the strings, but tickle the ivories. otherwise, I loved this.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

Hi Wanda! Thank you for your kind visit.
Wanda Vergara-Yates

4 Years Ago

but of course. you are one of my favorite writers here.
Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

Much obliged. Be blessed ...
You painted a picture with words; " Closure is a myth, a fallacy, fulfilling not the bullying of truth. There is a harsh spillage of light to find a sense of closure, but, changes and moves are indefinite where time refuses to end itself." So very detailed throughout the whole thing and you held my interest.
Well done.
-J

Posted 4 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

Hello dear poet. I'm honored to see you visit and thrilled to have liked this short story with a mes.. read more
"After practicing his soliloquy for an hour, he sat down at the piano to ease his mind a bit as he usually does, gently fading beyond silence, affianced to bittersweet memories."

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Patricia Wedel

4 Years Ago

Lovely to pass with stolen notes of orchestrated melodies of Nightingales
Where stars twinkl.. read more
Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

:).................
"There is a harsh spillage of light to find a sense of closure, but, changes and moves are indefinite where time refuses to end itself"

Posted 4 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Patricia Wedel

4 Years Ago

So much political controversy at a time when we are sitting on the edge of Eternity... leaving child.. read more
Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

Wow! So true. You are welcome Patricia....

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

175 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 15, 2020
Last Updated on March 15, 2020

Author

Sami Khalil
Sami Khalil

Tuscaloosa, AL



Writing
I Feel I Feel

A Poem by Sami Khalil



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Escape Escape

A Poem by Chris Shaw