The Reckless Perch

The Reckless Perch

A Poem by Sami Khalil
"

Giant delusions, shattered illusions.

"

The Reckless Perch      by Sami Khalil


(Giant delusions, shattered illusions)


Unknowingly, I wrapped my feelings in isolation, in anticipation, in surreal trepidation.


Through the eye of the needle, through riotous upheaval, I stitched my wayward thoughts, my nimble spectrums, my oversized storms. My bed felt sandy, nonchalantly sinking in confined spaces, puzzling daily the sun’s reflective glow. I waved frantically at the parade, as seen clearly, standing idly below my vantage point, my reckless perch, waiting for marching orders.

Streets were hushed, breathing fleeting moments. Faces had yet to settle into the marching mode, lulling their false sense of security.


I ordered: “March on, march!”, to no avail. My throat felt dry, myself disquieted. Don’t they know that I’m in charge here? Can’t they fathom who holds the power? Flailing my staff in the air, I came down with a vengeance, thrashing the populace across their heads with pinprick accuracy, smashing them like false idols.

I set off a ticking bomb of rage, a minefield of acrid burnings; prodigious happenings under the soles of their feet. After finishing the strikes, the scene looked like a sad tableau that belie all norms. I called upon the vultures to feast upon this licentious, quixotic undertaking.


My long shadow stretched before the world smiling with mischievous grins. I’m the giant, the ruler, half-consumed with power, half by false heaps of self, compensating for lesser things.

None can deter me now but begrudge what great tragedy had befallen.


“Behave or face the grave. Pay tribute or become mute. Either obey willingly or heftily pay.”

As I woke up, the room was suffused with pearlescent, robbed memories. I felt under deep, pellucid waters, lost to myself. I was the catch of the day.  A big fish in a small pond. No savage regrets, no gentle raging, no primal peace but the dread of the inevitable.



{Still I foresee, how things can be, how moments flee.

How the bearer of the sun can come undone.

How those whose hands are drenched in blood, will face the flood, the rage, the mud.

Still I foresee, that everything must have a collision course.

Nevertheless, deal neither by evil ways nor by cold hearts for trembled lips need reform, shaping their ravaging storm.}   

 

© 2020 Sami Khalil


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

A marvelously depicted unpoetic state of the world we live in. And a much needed confrontation. The suffocation finds it's voice through this writing. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

2 Years Ago

Wow! Wonderfully said. Thank you so much Diamond for this marvelous review.
Such an epic and eloquently written portrayal of demonic dictatorship. The language is intricate and expressive as the anger and angst and the complete decimation of the weak and vulnerable plays out.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Hi sir John. What a worthy review from a worthy poet and writer. So much wisdom. Thank you kindly si.. read more
This fits in so well with what is happening in present time.. well done Sami very imaginative and descriptive imagery. Enjoyed thin immensely.
Kudos your friend Katrina.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Hi Katrina. An honor and pleasure to see you visit. Glad you enjoyed this political write. Many than.. read more
I don't know if I would call this a poem, but it was very well written.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Hi Scott. Call it what you like. Thank you so much for the visit and comment.
Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Let me know when you post so I can return the favor.
A reflection of the political climate in the USA today. "how the bearer of the sun shall come undone"....hmmmmmm....I suppose November will tell the tale. Very dramatic poetry here. Lydi***

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Hehehe. You are so right on the money. It also applies to all other countries with dictators and suc.. read more
Lydia Shutter

3 Years Ago

You stay safe too, Sami.
Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

:::::::))))))))))
Whether this is about the 'leader' of the free world, or not, it breathes of the fire of truth.

Looking now at the world; aside from the despots, who care not, and have never cared a jot for the rest of humanity, there are so many who occupy 'perches' too high for them to properly and wisely balance. Over here, we have a government led by an establishment figure of mediocre intelligence, surrounded my middle management acolytes, who will say and do anything and agree to anything, in order to hold onto their positions; and I can see many such examples in so many other countries throughout the world.

Hauntingly sad how things are turning out; especially for the next generations to come; who I pray will turn away from the vapid stupidity currently plaguing this beautiful gift of a planet.

Beccy.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Hi Beccy. I can't but agree wholeheartedly with you and praise you for your courage to speak the tru.. read more
Woww this is so deep and sublime as you muse in eloquent metaphor so very poetically. It seems to be about the situation when things go out of control in a riot and turmoil. Kudos for a great poem!! Long may you write poet!


plz pleez do read and comment my newest poem too. I like to know poets thoughts.


Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Hi S. Zaynab. I can't thank you enough for this review. Sincerely grateful. I will.
Dear Sami. I don't pretend to know a great deal about politics in the USA, but I found myself thinking of Mr Trump as I navigated your lines, particularly when I read the quote in your fifth stanza. After forming my own thoughts, I checked out BG's and saw that she had come to the same conclusion. Those who have power don't necessarily command respect. You can order all you like, but it doesn't mean to say others will follow. All good wishes.

Chris

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Hehehe. His supporters think he is the greatest. News media love that. He is helping their ratings. .. read more
Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

:))........
Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

::::::)))))
I began reading this, thinking how much more your expressions are felt in the physical realm (as compared to the one of yours I just reviewed that felt cerebral to me). I was admiring this & how you express everything so poignantly & creatively. But then I progressed in my reading & started to get an inkling that this could be about Trump on his reckless perch. How can one not read that into this? I wonder. While the middle 3 stanzas seem to be as if we are hearing the inner dialogue of Trump (or other feckless leader) . . . the final stanza seems to be as if we're hearing the totality of existence speaking . . . some other outer observer, wise beyond the immediate players depicted prior. This is an excellent depiction of how some people erroneously assume "power" means people will obey or follow (or whatever is commanded), but you make us feel the floundering hollowness of being a leader who most rational people will never obey. Very thought-provoking (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Hi Margie. You got a great understanding of power play in relationships. You are right on the money... read more
Your writing never ceases to amaze me. This is so relevant and thought-provoking. Simply amazing!

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Hi Sonnie. Many thank yous for the lovely visit and sharing. Take care.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

312 Views
19 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on May 10, 2020
Last Updated on May 10, 2020

Author

Sami Khalil
Sami Khalil

Tuscaloosa, AL



Writing
I Feel I Feel

A Poem by Sami Khalil



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Spring Spring

A Poem by Sami Khalil