The Reckless Perch

The Reckless Perch

A Poem by Sami Khalil
"

Giant delusions, shattered illusions.

"

The Reckless Perch      by Sami Khalil


(Giant delusions, shattered illusions)


Unknowingly, I wrapped my feelings in isolation, in anticipation, in surreal trepidation.


Through the eye of the needle, through riotous upheaval, I stitched my wayward thoughts, my nimble spectrums, my oversized storms. My bed felt sandy, nonchalantly sinking in confined spaces, puzzling daily the sun’s reflective glow. I waved frantically at the parade, as seen clearly, standing idly below my vantage point, my reckless perch, waiting for marching orders.

Streets were hushed, breathing fleeting moments. Faces had yet to settle into the marching mode, lulling their false sense of security.


I ordered: “March on, march!”, to no avail. My throat felt dry, myself disquieted. Don’t they know that I’m in charge here? Can’t they fathom who holds the power? Flailing my staff in the air, I came down with a vengeance, thrashing the populace across their heads with pinprick accuracy, smashing them like false idols.

I set off a ticking bomb of rage, a minefield of acrid burnings; prodigious happenings under the soles of their feet. After finishing the strikes, the scene looked like a sad tableau that belie all norms. I called upon the vultures to feast upon this licentious, quixotic undertaking.


My long shadow stretched before the world smiling with mischievous grins. I’m the giant, the ruler, half-consumed with power, half by false heaps of self, compensating for lesser things.

None can deter me now but begrudge what great tragedy had befallen.


“Behave or face the grave. Pay tribute or become mute. Either obey willingly or heftily pay.”

As I woke up, the room was suffused with pearlescent, robbed memories. I felt under deep, pellucid waters, lost to myself. I was the catch of the day.  A big fish in a small pond. No savage regrets, no gentle raging, no primal peace but the dread of the inevitable.



{Still I foresee, how things can be, how moments flee.

How the bearer of the sun can come undone.

How those whose hands are drenched in blood, will face the flood, the rage, the mud.

Still I foresee, that everything must have a collision course.

Nevertheless, deal neither by evil ways nor by cold hearts for trembled lips need reform, shaping their ravaging storm.}   

 

© 2020 Sami Khalil


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

hauntingly, profound...you exhibit such a distinctive gifted quill...
that always bleeds, weaves exquisite poetic artistry.
every word in every verse, just mesmerizes, that i cannot
even coherently fathom correct words to describe how wonderful this gem
is. other then...once again i’m not surprised that i’m left in complete awe.

and i thank you for sharing your immense talent with us.
i look forward to becoming lost in your art again soon ~ :)

Posted 3 Years Ago


ms. barrie

3 Years Ago

129,39372x smiles back
ms. barrie

3 Years Ago

and all my gratitude for showing an interest (pocketing) “metanoia” … i’m truly appreciative.. read more
Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

You are surely welcome. Have a great one...
Sami, your post is written by someone with inherently natural sensitivity and a special way of laying words in such a way the reader is beckoned into thinking. You weigh as many facets of the core of whatever and finally point the way to your opinions yet never in an adamant way. I find the following an ambush I've recognised for a while and from a few quarters.

'My long shadow stretched before the world smiling with mischievous grins. I’m the giant, the ruler, half-consumed with power, half by false heaps of self, compensating for lesser things.

None can deter me now but begrudge what great tragedy had befallen.'

TIME HAS arrived for a damned less hot air and stupidity to be wiped off the face of the earth to allow diplomacy, considered wisdom and quiet but quick plans made to protect those who might - in due and safer times, return to paying out to support those ethical who are giving and sharing at such a wretched time.. not for profits but for human decency, plus, the reality in One for All or we ALL fall.

Thank you for nudging me into yet more determination to express self.. just wish i could be the writer you are.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

:::::::))))))))).........
emmajoy

3 Years Ago

shhhhhhhhh :)
Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Hehehe......
whew! blistering commentary .. you must live in Michigan ;))))))))))))))))))))))))) or NY ... some governors have run amuk .. waaaaaaaay overstepped ..most people have enough sense to open up with reasonable safety ... we are going to still get sick .. this one has struck such a blow ... overnight it seems ... taking down societies worldwide .. freedoms be damned it seems ... a very real struggle now to recover ... me thinks a lot of novels will use these times in various fictions ... and Armageddons ..sobering how easily we have lost so much ... rebellion now the balance keeping things form becoming dictatorial ...
E.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Hi Eisntein Noodle. You are so right sir. We have to open up the economy for survival or have 2 doub.. read more
Einstein Noodle

3 Years Ago

:) and thank you for your statement sir! these are and have been troubling times for decades ... thi.. read more
Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Hehehe. You are right sir Einstein Noodle. And you are warmly welcome ...
dear Sami... this sequestering has brought us to our knees... it is a
miracle that we have not been subjected to the Virus... knowing that every step we take may be our last. It is a waiting game... to what end. I have had a full life, but younger ones have not. It is a reckoning of eternal decisions.
"Bless be the "tie" that binds... our hearts in kindred Spirits." ... a song
sung so many times in church... but this is different. Reverence is where you are when you smile at your neighbor or a passerby. truly, Pat

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Whoa! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and prayers with us through thick and thin. Hope springs e.. read more
Patricia Wedel

3 Years Ago

I think of the music in the Movie “Sandpiper”... “the shadow of your smile when you are gone... read more
Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

::::::::::::)))))))))))).........
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pax
Unknowingly, I wrapped my feelings in isolation, in anticipation, in surreal trepidation

- i just have to quote that, on which i knew the feeling so well, aren't all we like that, or it's just some of us poets do. U do write deeper in many words i never knew i could encounter, because its your very edge on how you write, brother, keep it up....

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

2 sir Pax. Gracie millee....
Pax

3 Years Ago

Then you are amazing, with your vocabulary, i speak 3 yet i still gwt confused on many words and my .. read more
Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

You too brother. I try, I try. Bless you.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Rye
the imagery in this write is powerful, very well written.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Hi Rye. May you accept my sincere thanks to you and your lovely visit. Good to see you.
Beautiful piece, Sami, and very fitting for the times we are living in. I love the haunting imagery of this poem, especially the last few lines.

-Derekv

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Hi DerekV. What a nice day to see you visit and share. Have not seen you in a while. Pleasure indeed.. read more
the storm subjugates all, revealing bare truth as if under a microscope. all is not right. we are all the same, man's artificial institutions unravel and are proven inept. things have the potential of getting ugly more quickly than we realize unless we adhere to the "right" principles of life ... :)

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Hi Pete. Amazing wisdom and insight you have about the human condition. Whooeee....I can't thank you.. read more
Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

." we are all the same, man's artificial institutions unravel and are proven inept."
Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

"things have the potential of getting ugly more quickly than we realize unless we adhere to the "rig.. read more
damn Sami, there is a giant storm in your words, very fitting for a world where 'giant delusions' rule the day... and for many where great illusions are shattered as their eyes are opened to see what kind of society we live in and under.... and it seems too that we have not yet seen the worst of this storm nor the horrors that will be created.... wonderfully written poem my friend and poet...

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Hi Redzone. So true and well said wonderful poet. I hope it does not come to the survivor of the fit.. read more

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

311 Views
19 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on May 10, 2020
Last Updated on May 10, 2020

Author

Sami Khalil
Sami Khalil

Tuscaloosa, AL



Writing
I Feel I Feel

A Poem by Sami Khalil



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Spring Spring

A Poem by Sami Khalil