The Gold Mine

The Gold Mine

A Story by Sami Khalil
"

From Russia with love and my sweet Dove...

"

They Forgot These Gold Mines! - YouTube


The Gold Mine      by Sami S. Khalil


I was looking for an adventure. Working with feverish pace, I hated drudgery. As the cinereal hours passed by, I invariably daydreamed about vacationing on a secluded Virgin island. Although gregarious and swaggering (people noted about me), I found solitude sometimes in writing spy novels more fulfilling and the quintessential self-partner.

Working at the patent office in Washington, D.C., I had firsthand knowledge of conspicuous scientific exploits. To be candid, I could have sold those secrets for untold amount of money, becoming wealthy. I can’t claim I did not entertain those thoughts. You could say I was a civil servant without civility. Little I knew that the Russians were watching my every move. Come to find out later, I was given the title “Bull Dog”; one only apt for a canine and some humans. That was extremely fitting for my character but mawkishly corny.

One day, as I opened my mail box, I found a pleasant surprise. I had won a free trip to the Virgin Islands. Ecstatic, I knew deep down I really needed this vacation. What a good time to unwind and focus on employing that precious time to finish my whodunit works. As I landed on the islands, a glamorous limousine picked me up that was endearing. A dapper looking driver kindly opened the car door. As I stepped in, I felt a blunt instrument dropping me unconscious. The next morning, I woke up in a hotel room as my eyes solidified on a gorgeous Russian beauty with a seductive nature.

As she introduced herself to me, she claimed to be my escort on the island, an escapism appendage evolving into a true lover. We delved into some relinquished vices, incredible and awesomely unrivalled. She won me over head over heels in her love. Although she was a trained spy- actor, it is safe to say that she found me dashing with Olympian self-parody. Those natural charms can come in handy and can be irreplaceable. I asked her to marry me and she acquiesced. A real man she had found, humorous and spicy.

After we got married and settled on the outskirts of Washington, D.C., I became a tough, gritty secret agent to Russia (They paid me a million dollars for every scientific revelation). With that money, Tatiana and I lived lavishly, an over- the- top lifestyle; a role not watered down by circumstances or personal judgements. We visited Russia many times (which I admired) with some retooled controversies. I was rendered rough around the edges and arrogant. I guess I outsmarted myself in many ways, too.

This is why I wrote this biography from jail. The FBI was on my trail waiting for the right moment to snatch me, arresting on espionage. But in a twist of fate, a deceptively complicated operation; a spoof was carried out by the Russians. An exact look-alike, a perfectly composite resemblance, was exchanged with me in jail (the guard was paid off a million dollars), as I was flown back to Russia into the arms of my beloved wife (My heart was beating inexorably like a rollercoaster as this operation was pulled off).

A U.S.’s DNA test revealed on my replacement the semiotic fact. The “Gold Mine” has fled. Now, hold on folks. I like that title.                                           

© 2020 Sami Khalil


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm glad you pointed me to the rest of your story. Reading this makes all the difference -- very clearly laying out the opening, so I can follow all the other parts better. One of your most compelling openings to a story, I'd say. I shall continue (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Hugs and great wishes. Thank you so much dear poet for this amazing review and kindly appreciated vi.. read more
Shaken, but not stirred... I worked in Patent and Trademark law firms
for years before I retired... very enriched by the experience for a myriad of reasons.
Yes, espionage is very tempting when working with secret and top secret formulas and
Intellectual Property secrets. You should write a Novel... and quickly before another Poet
seduces a Russian Beauty. truly, Pat

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Hehehe. Wow! I did not know that about you. You had an exciting job. Thank you for sharing your thou.. read more
Read it without a pause, then read it again to check facts and events. There are so many moves in this, and perhaps, just a little rushed, perhaps. In a few areas your words read like a statement one would write right in a prison cell.. but those words are surrounded by story.telling. As ever you use great phrases, have ideas that sweep the board.. but.. wonder if this could be lengthened? Thus using just one slick genre over another?

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

All is possible but when I finish a story, I keep it as is and try those ideas on the next. Thank yo.. read more
emmajoy

3 Years Ago

Hope my comments were politely put,Sami. I love short stories, came into the cafe to write them.. b.. read more
Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Not at all. All appreciated. We learn from each other. Thank you again.
'gold mine' both literally and figuratively. a believable character sort of like a carnal james bond with just a hint of conscience. very believably spun. all the ingredients are certainly there - the girl, the mission, international intrigue and living on the lavish edge. sounds like the 'bull dog' was let off the leash for a spell. could see this playing out in a movie. i like this tall tale and how it is spun ... :)

Posted 3 Years Ago


"The “Gold Mine” has fled. Now, hold on folks."
S.S. K.

Posted 3 Years Ago


ahahaha ... you like that title do ya!? :) great pic .. fine title .. first 2-3 Vs captured and held me .. seems to have slipped a bit after that for me .. as hinted about his character .. a bit corny my friend ;} and lost some of its believability ...i like the story .. i like his character a lot .. he's bold to the edge of a bit narcissistic .. but a working stiff .. resists temptation .. but not .. gets his dream and needed vacation .. then the story goes too fast perhaps .. not sure. lots of good "stuff" in this sir .. learned my word for the day "cinereal" ..fantastic says i! .. peace and joy sir!
E.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Wow! Thank you so much Mr. Pete for this awesome review and response. You inspire us too. God bless.. read more
Einstein Noodle

3 Years Ago

there are some who will read short stories .. i get hooked on them and some a very engaging .. i thi.. read more
Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

You are a good man. Thank you sir.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

94 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 9, 2020
Last Updated on November 9, 2020

Author

Sami Khalil
Sami Khalil

Tuscaloosa, AL



Writing
I Feel I Feel

A Poem by Sami Khalil



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..