Wood Soldiers

Wood Soldiers

A Story by Sami Khalil
"

A sad story...Imaginative...

"

Logging in" - The Norwegian American


Wood Soldiers    by Sami S. Khalil



I was always mulish, confused in my life. Days passed in slow shambles. I had to prise some courage out of gutless moments. Nameless, unknown to many people, they just called me “The Blind.” Being that, I had to sensate through my hands, ears and nose; an imprecation, I guess!

I was my dad’s only kid (My mom passed a year ago). I still remember how her kitchen was the soul of the house and her favourite domain. As our home was imbued with love, sadness permeated it from time to time. Oh, I still miss her in my woozy world. I have many recollections of those days: Scents of Autumn, steamy cups of tea early mornings, birds warbling melodiously, buzzing sounds of chainsaws revving up (My dad was a logger among many; ones I call ‘Wood soldiers’).

Poor man, he worked hard in the thick dense woodlands close by our lake house. We owned a seeing-eye dog and my canine delight was taking my best companion on the pebble trails towards the lake. I would sit on a vacant bench daydreaming in a reverie state while my dad laboured all day. As he came home tired, we would have supper then off to bed where he tucks me in with a warm blanket. Sometimes, I dared to ask him timidly my mom’s whereabouts. He barely wheezed out an answer, achingly gesticulating me to sleep tight. I knew right then that sadness still wrapped up his feelings.

To have some fun, my dad made me a cool playground: Straw bales, a swing, and a picnic table for my regaling. Upon raining hard, you could hear the squelching of my feet playing in the mud. One day, my dad bought me an electric chisel for carving wood. It was during the holidays. He fetched me some logs to practice chiseling faces and bodies. Some mannequins came in handy, for I would feel the groves on their faces, proceeding to chisel the likeness. Few months passed and I perfected the trade. People were paying me good sums of money to etch and carve.

 

 

Now that became the fulcrum of my reality that held in abeyance my blindness. My imaginings turned few somersaults as the future went from dim to bright. To celebrate my success, my dad carried me on a trip to Mount Rushmore, Bad Lands and Custer park. We had to stop at the famous “Wall Drug” in a town called Wall. He purchased for me the bust of the four great presidents perched upon the mountain. I was ecstatic. He informed me that it was for keepsake and training while explaining the history behind it all. Gutzon Borglum was the chief architect; the visionary sculptor. Luigi del Bianco was his chief sculptor along four-hundred-member crew. It is a sight to see if you can see. I could just imagine how large and great it was. He even took me to see Crazy Horse memorial (He would describe the details).

To top it all off, we took the train from Keystone to Hill City where we dined at “The Alpine Inn restaurant.” Side note: Food and desert were out of this world. It was fun and play until my dad had to go back to work (He worked for a logging company). As we settled back into our routines, and one said day, I was enjoying the lake at my usual bench, I was apprehensive though. The saws that were revving up in the distance died out. I prodded my dog to take me there. Upon arrival, my dad was lying there lifeless. It was a horrible and not a tender parting. Language was devoid of expressions. Life is surely transitory.

Brooding, thoughtless, breaking apart, I called 911 with a grating voice. A tree had fell on him. We did have a somber funeral for him. Neighbors pitched in with measured grief. On his epitaph we etched: Here lies the wood soldier; a hero of Mother Nature. One day, to honor him, I decided to add a fifth face to my 4 presidents’ bust. I thought, if great men can make it to the top of the mountain, my dad should, too.

At least in my relief and imagination.   

© 2020 Sami Khalil


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I don't see you posting often enuf lately (hint! hint!) so I had to dig back & find one of your older postings. There is a huge difference between your writing back when this was written, & the stories you've been writing lately.

I've mentioned how your stories are more "complete" these days . . . you now fill in some of the gaps that would be missing from some of your earlier stories. Here's an example: how does the blind boy in your story know how to carve faces into wood? You skip over the ripe delicious details of how he has to run his hands over people's faces as an introduction, getting to know each person. You can't assume we know this. It's a lost opportunity, becuz you can use this to SHOW instead of tell.

You tell about this later in this story, explaining the trinket with presidents' heads carved into it -- this is how he comes up with the later idea of putting his dad's head on his own wood carving of "the greats" -- all this is compelling writing & what you've written is easily understood.

I'm just suggesting that more & more in your writing, you fill in the gaps that you used to leave open, as to how your characters have come to be in the situation they are in.

The utmost strength in your writing, past & present, is that you write stories about the stuff that nobody else is writing stories about. You are so keenly interested in people & their challenges in life, crafting stories that immerse your reader into how it can be for each one of these unique individuals, these survivors of whatever life hands out (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Whoeee! Thank you so much dear poet and friend for this extensive review and time sharing. You summe.. read more
A wonderfully evocative narrative Sami of which you enabled the reader to immerse oneself as your story unfolds. This is a wonderful way of looking at the circle of life...the bond between father and son throughout this beautifully penned story was clear to see...a legacy in his son...the next generation of Wood Soldiers.

'Life surely is transitory'
This is why we have to make the best of the life we have right now...and do what makes us happy...right?
Totally resonated with me and brought back fond memories of my own father ..Thank You!

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Hi Yellow Butterfly! Your awesome review will resonate the true value of writing and readership. You.. read more
Yellow Butterfly

3 Years Ago

Your welcome Sami!
Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

::::::))))))))))
What a great and touching story. Your vocabulary is wonderful. I felt the presence of sadness, joy, warmth, all the emotions one can feel. Now that's real writing.
I can not find anything negative about this work.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Whoaaa! Thank you so much M.E.Lyle for this amazing review and appreciation. Glad to see you visit.
Great storytelling Sami. Such a sad tale though of that poor boy who suffered the early loss of both parents as well as failing sight. A most befitting tribute to a Father much loved and missed. I enjoyed the read. Thank you.

Chris

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Wow! Hi Chris! Million thank yous for this marvelous review and touching responses. Glad you felt th.. read more
Sami, you truly are a marvelous story teller. I was caught up in the emotion of this story. The love of a boy for his father is so strong throughout. The empathy for someone who is blind is heartfelt. Truly a beautiful story....and the artwork is great too. Lydi**

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Whoaaa! You are truly marvelous. You inspire us in your own unique way. I'm so thankful for all. Kee.. read more
oh how this is quite a poignantly engaging story.

/One day, to honor him, I decided to add a fifth face to my 4 presidents’ bust. I thought, if great men can make it to the top of the mountain, my dad should, too.
At least in my relief and imagination./
.
your quill never fails to leave an indelible impression *s* upon readers!

i will be back v. soon to catch up
on your art, again
~ thank you for sharing & please keep safe!



Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Hehehe. All wonderful. See you soon. Gracie millee...
ms. barrie

3 Years Ago

p.s. i’ve missed you & your art as well! :)))
Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

::::::))))))))))
dearest Sami... a heart-rendering story...
I can understand being blind to things we have
not experienced as a child. Of course many dogs
know that we need guidance and protection.
Lovely that you knew that your Father was a great person,
and provided for his family. The name "Wood Soldier" is
so appropriate and meaningful. The photo is Gorgeous n a
somber Wilderness Eighth Wonder of your World as a child.
truly, Pat

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Whoa! Thank you so much dear poet and friend for this marvelous review and kind words. So glad you .. read more
A great ending to the story Sami.
"One day, to honor him, I decided to add a fifth face to my 4 presidents’ bust. I thought, if great men can make it to the top of the mountain, my dad should, too.
At least in my relief and imagination."
I liked the above lines and thank you for sharing the amazing and entertaining story.
Coyote

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Whoa! Thank you so much Coyote Poetry for this lovely review and kind sharing. See you soon...
Coyote Poetry

3 Years Ago

You are welcome my friend.
Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Gracie millee.....
Sami ... is this your life story?? from your review i take it is is ... are you unable to see?
E.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Note: Both of my parents are deceased, too.
Einstein Noodle

3 Years Ago

ah... its very believable for me .. i have to come back to read again ...i did have some comments bu.. read more
Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

You are welcome. Gracie mille.
"Now that became the fulcrum of my reality that held in abeyance my blindness. My imaginings turned few somersaults as the future went from dim to bright."
S.K.

Posted 3 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

213 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 6 Libraries
Added on December 6, 2020
Last Updated on December 8, 2020

Author

Sami Khalil
Sami Khalil

Tuscaloosa, AL



Writing
I Feel I Feel

A Poem by Sami Khalil



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Spring Spring

A Poem by Sami Khalil