The Handkerchief Movies

The Handkerchief Movies

A Story by Sami Khalil
"

Movies that make you cry and cry...

"

Woman With Handkerchief By Mary Cassatt Reproduction

The Handkerchief Movies                  by Sami S. Khalil


(The movies that make you cry)



I wanted to protect her like an oyster shell protects a pearl. I needed to wipe away her tears, for she cried endlessly. Very sentimental, her past was a deep hamper with many soiled cottons.


Whether a verité movie or not that we attended (like ‘Don’t cry for me Argentina’), or merely some sad news, she could not contain those uncontrollable sobs and shed tears. She would not even use eyeliners, the flat kind or glittery ones, for the effect impulses or urges had. 

 

All that seemed like clouds hanging over us, ready to rain any time. Although Christina was like an angel with little stubbornness, she was neither an embarrassment to me nor a bother in public because of her condition. Not that I also didn't mind it, but others got annoyed.

Doctors could neither diagnose it properly nor understand the triggers behind those chain reactions. Baffled, one doctor asked her to squeeze her nose tightly to block some things from happening.


To be honest, I lost much sleep thinking about a cure for her, with a full load of stress. I even thought to duct-tape her mouth when watching a movie together, but that was rude. Nothing worked.

One day, a friend of mine tossed in the conversation a suggestion; go see “Zoltar”, the sagacious magician and soothsayer. He’s the one to chime in on my problems and inquiries. As I paid $100 to his assistant at the window to see him, she carried me to his dark abode, lit by candles and a bright crystal ball.


After greeting me artfully, he asked I take off my shoes for I’m on holy ground. He looked intently at me then at his crystal ball. He made few chants in praising rhapsodies then said: “Son. Seams can come undone. Somatic relationships can die too. What is once odd can become even. Life has its sharp edges like knives. As I look through the dark windows of your soul, I see silhouettes of unchained expectations. Something is draining your ambient energy, brilliant light and griming your notable éclat. You are at the cusp of marriage. It will swirl you in carnal drifts, salacious sorrows until you get her healed. I suggest you watch only happy movies together. Infuse happiness at the core, see what manifests at the door.”

 

As I looked forward to our next date on Saturday evening to see a “happy movie”, we purchased tickets to a good one, then sat through half of it without any instances of plaiting. I was amazed and ecstatic. Towards the end of it, things changed dramatically. She wept and wept at the happy ending. I inquired about the reason. She pointed out that those are happy tears (from sad to happy ones). I guess I opened up a new Pandora’s Box. I need more handkerchiefs now.

Oh, by the way Zoltar! I will bounce you off the wall like a real ball instead of your clairvoyant globe.   

© 2020 Sami Khalil


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

so clever and funny. i was totally engrossed from start to finish. surprise ending. i really like this one. perhaps there is a career for her as the town crier ... :)

Posted 2 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

2 Years Ago

Hehehe! Thank you so much dear poet and friend for this lovely review and liking. Been busy. Will vi.. read more
Enjoyed this muchly Sami. Tears of joy of course, are much better than tears of sorrow; better still, don't go to the movies. :))

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Wow! I love your take on this write. Glad to see you visit dear Beccy and I thank you tremendously. .. read more
Beccy

3 Years Ago

All is well; and blessings to you and yours.
Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Gracie Millee...
A wonderful story shared Sami. You wrote a interesting tale. I liked the situation and the ending. Thank you for sharing the outstanding story.
Coyote

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Whoeeee! Thank you so much dear poet and friend for this wonderful review. An honor when you visit.
Coyote Poetry

3 Years Ago

You are welcome Sami. I hope you are doing well.
Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

All is well. Be blessed...
what is Pandora's Box? enjoyed the write though. nicely done

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Thank you so much for all. Pandora's box is a box of unexpected difficulties, troubles, curses that .. read more
Just Kim

3 Years Ago

oh okay, thank you. have a wonderful day
Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

You too. Thx....
Ah, 3 Kleenex movies.....I prefer comedies myself. One has to really identify with the characters to be so moved from watching a movie. Life does have sharp edges and the knives that cut through to our soul are often in those movies. Very well written, Sami. Lydi**

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Hehehe. So true and well said. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your visit. Good to know. E.. read more
Not very many movies have made me cry, but I can remember those few for years afterwards. This is an unexpected storyline & I felt myself wondering where this story was going, the whole time. I love how it's left somewhat unresolved, since happy tears could become as bothersome as sad tears -- especially with this narrator, since he seems like he could lose his patience with any kind of tears, after a while.

My mom was raped when she was 15 & I gave her a videotape of a movie that depicted a rape realistically (I didn't think about it, since I had given her a box of tapes, years ago) -- this movie made her cry as if the rape had happened yesterday, even tho it was 70 years ago for her at the time. I believe movies tap into something that's strongly-felt in a person when this happens. Your story is well written & you always tell a story in an original way (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

"I believe movies tap into something that's strongly-felt in a person when this happens."
Wow.. read more
dearest Sami... I can identify with your story.
There are Happy tears. I have have watched Movies with a happy ending... so touching that I was overwhelmed with tears.
When I was twelve years old, I was given a Christmas present from my parents...
a beautiful Bulova Watch encased in Gold... with a simple black band.
I was so overwhelmed that I cried "Tears of Joy". As we age, having survived many trials,
we find it difficult to Cry. God created us with the ability to Cry... in Sorrow and Pain,
or in Happiness and Joy. tenderly, Pat

Posted 3 Years Ago


Patricia Wedel

3 Years Ago

You, Sami, are a breath of "fresh air". truly, Pat
Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

::::::::))))))))))))))
Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Gracie millee.....
"Life has its sharp edges like knives. As I look through the dark windows of your soul, I see silhouettes of unchained expectations."

Posted 3 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

212 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 25, 2020
Last Updated on December 27, 2020

Author

Sami Khalil
Sami Khalil

Tuscaloosa, AL



Writing
I Feel I Feel

A Poem by Sami Khalil



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..