Helper's High

Helper's High

A Story by Sami Khalil
"

The reasons behind...

"

Gift painting Vector Art Stock Images | Depositphotos


Helper’s High (HH)…          by Sami Khalil

Meanings of gift- giving (GG).



I once asked my dad about why do some people seem happier, excited, feeling good during holidays and special occasions, while others don’t, dreading their many prospects?

He answered wisely: “Just because of gift- giving! See, it involves the three S’s: Special occasion, special someone, special gift." He went on saying, ‘but son, when you give, gift it for 'just because'; keep it a random act. That is more meaningful and worthy. By the way, gift-giving or sharing is one of the five love languages. As for the rest that give for the wrong reasons, they go through negative emotions like depression, loneliness, separation anxieties and such.”

My face lit up instantly with pure joy upon hearing his words. They all made sense. As I was contemplating his speech, a dear friend called me out of the blue. I can sense he was upset for his voice quivered with sad emotions and delayed pauses.

It was around Valentine’s Day. He informed me that his girlfriend just broke up with him. The irony is that it was done after she sent him a precious gift (a watch). What a crude and awkward way!! She even had the audacity to affix a smiley face to the box.

After being flabbergasted with unhesitant ponders by her behavior, I consoled him, knowing that heartaches loiter on.

I went back to my dad, reporting what just transpired, asking him for some clues. He said: “I think she truly did not fall in love with him. Some people just experiment to get desirable or undesirable results. She must have felt a hollow emptiness or a bad after taste. That is her nicely put way of ‘saying goodbye’. To some people, gifts point us to something higher. To others, it is a dead end in itself."

I said to him, they all seem like bribes to me. Weird world, strange bedfellows.

“Live and learn, son. Live and learn…” Amusedly, he chuckled!

© 2022 Sami Khalil


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

dear Sami… “It is in giving that we receive”. However, your poem indicates that there are gifts that we would find difficult to understand. We do not live in a perfect world. Your poetry is very realistic and that gives us “the other side of the Coin”. gently, Pat

Posted 1 Year Ago


Sami Khalil

1 Year Ago

Wowzy! So true and well said dear Patricia. The best gifts are the ones money can't buy. You are a .. read more
Patricia Wedel

1 Year Ago

We have a Fountain where we can make a Wish and throw a Coin— On the U.S. Capitol grounds … next.. read more
Sami Khalil

1 Year Ago

I totally agree. We should. Thank you France for all the gifts.
I like the language you use, especially toward the end.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Sami Khalil

1 Year Ago

Javajavaya! Thank you so much anonymous for this great summation of your experience. See you soon.
Your father is a pretty wise man Sami. Seems he's gifted his son with the same trait as well, as expressed in much of the wonderful art you share with us all. CLE

Posted 1 Year Ago


Sami Khalil

1 Year Ago

Howdy sir! So true 👍 and well said dear poet and friend. Thank you kindly for the time and visit... read more
I liked the thoughts and I liked the wisdom shared in the poetry Sami.
"I said to him, they all seem like bribes to me. Weird world, strange bedfellows.
“Live and learn, son. Live and learn…” Amusedly, he chuckled!"
I never thoughts about the act of gift giving. This story in the poetry. Make me think some. Thank you for sharing the outstanding poetry.
Coyote

Posted 1 Year Ago


Sami Khalil

1 Year Ago

Wow! So glad ☺ to hear that sir Coyote. Million thank yous for the time and visit. See you soon.
Coyote Poetry

1 Year Ago

You are welcome Sami.
Sami Khalil

1 Year Ago

:::::::))))))))))))

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

124 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 1, 2022
Last Updated on November 1, 2022

Author

Sami Khalil
Sami Khalil

Tuscaloosa, AL



Writing
I Feel I Feel

A Poem by Sami Khalil



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Haiku #21 Haiku #21

A Poem by mattavelli