[untitled]

[untitled]

A Story by Sami
"

Sorry guys, haven't edited anything yet. Just tacked on a bit at the end, so it's a little longer than the first time you saw it. Otherwise, it's the same.

"
On the fifth of November, Richard Irvington woke up feeling good for absolutely no reason. You know those days when you wake up feeling really, really good for no reason? Like you could conquer the world, cure cancer, and rescue a hundred kittens from a hundred trees all with one hand tied behind your back? That�s how he felt that day. He emerged from sleep gracefully right in that perfect moment before his alarm clock went off. Everything was still and wonderful and the light was coming in through his window all glowing and golden. He stretched and yawned and felt energized in a way that reminded him of his days at Yale.
        The day unfolded naturally and seamlessly.

        But that night, he found himself having a hard time getting to sleep. He couldn�t seem to get his head on straight. As confident and wonderful as he felt earlier in the day, it was with the same potency he now felt quite horrible. As his mind raced from one thing to another, his skin began to flush with blood. Everything he touched felt softer, rougher, and warmer than it should. He shakily made himself a lukewarm cup of tea and sat up in bed all night.
        In the morning, when his alarm clock sounded, he found himself wondering where the night had gone. He had to force his fist to unclench from the handle of his now cold and still untouched mug of tea.

        As he sat down on the train to go to work, he noticed a woman sitting across the aisle with hair the color of deep red wine. He could almost taste her fruity undertones. Something about her made his stomach growl. He had to dig his fingers into the sticky vinyl seat just to keep from lunging at her. The creamy skin under her knee was rubbing on the corner of the seat in such a way that he could not help but stare. With some effort, he managed to pull his gaze from her. He realized with sudden clarity that he had missed his stop some time ago.
        While waiting on the platform for the train going back, he decided he wasn�t feeling right and called himself in sick. The ride home was uneventful except for the incessant twitching of Richard�s left inner thigh.
        Richard managed to find sleep hidden somewhere in the middle of his third glass of Syrah. His dreams were vivid and wild.

[Insert vivid and wild dream sequence here]

Monday night television was always boring, but Richard found this night�s selection particularly insufferable. He thought about calling up a friend for a little company. Then he remembered that he didn�t really have any friends. Ever since he graduated college and all his peers split off into couples and married, he was pretty much left by the wayside.
        He decided to order a pizza and try to trick some poor delivery boy into chatting with him for a few minutes, perhaps luring him inside with a little cash as bait. While he waited for his 16� Triple-Meat with extra cheese and onions to arrive, he leafed through a dating service pamphlet someone had anonymously left on his desk a few weeks ago. It was full of glossy 2 x 2�s of attractive, young blonds with tan skin and French tips.
        The doorbell sounded as if from behind a wall of glass bricks. Richard lapped some loose saliva from the corner of his mouth and tucked the pamphlet into the back pocket of his jeans, which were beginning to feel a little bit too tight. He opened the door to discover that the delivery boy was actually a rather attractive delivery girl with long black pigtails pouring from her Pizza Town hat.
        Richard stared at her.
        She cocked a carefully plucked eyebrow, �12.99.� Richard both liked and disliked her straightforward statement.
        �Oh, of course,� he stuttered back to his sensibilities. �So, what�s your name?� he asked awkwardly while digging in his pockets, pretending to have forgotten which one he put his money in.
        �I don�t think that�s any of your business,� she said, one cheek full of squishing pink gum.
        Richard pulled a neatly folded twenty dollar bill from his pocket, grunting �ah� as if to say, �oh yes, of course it would be front left. How silly of me.� �I�ll let you keep the change if you tell me.�
        The girl scrunched her brow at the twenty. �Brianna,� she said, reaching for the bill.
        �Listen Brianna,� Richard grinned, pushing the twenty into her palm and holding contact with her cool fingers a little too long, �I�ve got this whole pizza and no one to share it with. What would you say if I asked you to come in and watch a movie with me?� She was looking down and wiping Richard�s sweat off her hand with a corner of her Pizza Town apron.
        �I�d say you�re old, and I�m on the clock.� With a quick flip of her pigtails she was down the steps and leaning to grab the handle of her car door. The crescent of skin between her uniform T-shirt and her low-rise jeans became larger as she leaned down. As if she suddenly noticed this exposure, she quickly tucked her round bottom into the seat and sped away.
        Richard deliberated over his pizza in guilty silence and couldn�t believe his own thoughts. The little round sausages grew cold before he could choke down a singe slice.

© 2008 Sami


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

100 Views
Added on February 26, 2008

Author

Sami
Sami

Portland, OR



About
Right now, I'm back home in Portland attending PSU after a terrible but educational year at a New York college. Just trying to get back into writing. That's about it. more..

Writing
Dragonmeat Dragonmeat

A Poem by Sami