The Chalice of Blood

The Chalice of Blood

A Story by Sam

...You tempt the gods, Evander!” Those words haunted him.

Evander rode dangerously across the desert. He pushed his horse on, even as it started to tire. And as the day star sailed into the horizon, the mare’s legs eventually gave out, and Evander was flung from the saddle. Ere Evander could gather his footing, the horse collapsed and let out a snort before going to sleep. He checked the saddlebags to see if the chalice was safe. It was indeed.

The port of Rüed was nearly a day away, but he had ridden far in such a short amount of time, and he was certain he would catch up to the raiders by morning. Evander looked over the plateau in the crepuscular light, and thought it was providence when he saw a plume of smoke ahead.

Evander stood akimbo as he said to himself, “I found you.”

The raiders were a few minutes’ walk from his position. He ambled to run, but he thought not when he considered their hostage. Dido. If she was still alive, he couldn’t risk charging into their camp.

Stealthily, Evander combed the slope abreast the raiders’ encampment, and watched their movements from the overlook. A light ocean breeze blew up the side of the sandstone promontory, but other than that, there were no actions. No sounds to drift into night. The raiders and the horses were asleep, and their fires were doused.

The glow of the eight moons became prominent, as the final rays of light extinguished when Devywar plunged into the far of the western ocean at the edge of the world. Now Evander decided to make his move.

Down the hill, Evander crept. And one by one he peered into the individual tents until finally he came upon the one which sheltered his lover. She was alive but passed out. When he was sure she was alone, Evander stepped inside.

He knelt beside her, and covered her mouth so she wouldn’t utter a sound, as Evander feared she may have. However, her eyes opened slowly, as though exhausted from periodical abuse. But as soon as she laid her eyes upon Evander, they widened, and the young man was glad he had muzzled his bride when she tried to speak.

“You must be silent.”

Dido nodded, and Evander removed his hand.

“Evander,” she sighed, and she brought him to embrace, “Thank the gods! I had feared the worst. They burned the village�"”

“But I’m fine,” said Evander soothingly, kissing her forehead.

“We’re but a day from Rüed,” Dido whispered, “had you not come when you did, I’d have been on a cutter to Myrium.”

“I would have gone to the ends of the earth to find you Dido.” Evander gazed into Dido’s eyes longingly, but hers didn’t have the same glow.

“We should hurry,” Dido insisted. “Are you alone? Where are the horses? And the relic, is it safe?”

“Yes, I’m alone. But the horse isn’t strong enough. Especially not to carry us both.” he replied monotonously.

“What’s the matter?” asked Dido, looking worried.

“How did you know where you would be going?”

“I overheard one of the raiders say so,”

“But you don’t know the language.”

“Of course I do.”

“And the Aeini don’t speak Rusâmi.” Evander stared suspiciously, and Dido’s look of concern faded and the corners of her mouth formed a wide and malevolent smile.

Oops,” said Dido.

Quickly, Evander rose, and backed away, but he was not fast enough to evade capture. A large thuggish raider had been waiting outside the tent, and grabbed him, while several others were also huddled. For Evander made more noise than he realised. Evander squirmed, and kicked, but the large man seemed impervious to his antics. Eventually, the big man brought a dagger to his throat to quash Evander’s thrashing.

With some difficulty, one of the raiders, probably the leader, tried to speak Evander’s language, “Where is… the cup?

Now that Evander stopped struggling, Dido withdrew from the tent, and she told the raiders in their brogue, “Don’t strain yourselves. Evander can speak Aeina quite well. As can I.”

“Where is the chalice?” the man queried again, in his language.

“I suspect I already know… The saddlebag?” inquired Dido. A look on Evander’s face revealed everything.

“The saddlebag,” she nodded. “Check around the camp,” Dido ordered. Immediately a pair of raiders obeyed, taking torches with them.

“How did they convert you?” asked a forlorn Evander.

Dido returned to speaking in Rusâmi, “Can’t you tell, dear? I’m running this outfit.”

Evander hung his head in shame.

O Evander. Ever so loyal; coming to rescue me. You must have killed your horse to get here so quickly.”

“All this time you were plotting to�"”

“To rob you, yes. And you should have seen the look on my face when I thought you never had the chalice.”

“Do your friends know what danger the relic poses?”

“They don’t know its true value. And thank you, by the way. For having brought it within my reach.”

A raider returned, holding the chalice, offering it to the woman.

“And here it is,” said a satisfied Dido. “Thank you Evander, but now your time has come.” Switching languages again, she said, “Kill him,” before disappearing back in the tent, grail in hand.

© 2015 Sam


Author's Note

Sam
I will return to tell the tale of Evander.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Love forsaken! Visually descriptive. Enjoyed this. But,... the betrayal still stings. Must it be? Keep writing. Their love is perhaps too tender for the story to end here. She will keep the relic safe, and call off the bad guys? Then disband the group and travel with her love? Haha. Srry.

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

428 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 23, 2015
Last Updated on February 23, 2015
Tags: fantasy, action, adventure

Author

Sam
Sam

Fair Verona



About
I do most of my writing when I'm trying to sleep. "Better a witty fool than a foolish wit." -Shakespeare. more..

Writing
I Killed Esmeralda Deane I Killed Esmeralda Deane

A Screenplay by Sam


Once Upon a Time Once Upon a Time

A Chapter by Sam