Not without you

Not without you

A Story by S.Wright
"

Short story of an improbable romance.

"
I closed my eyes and embraced the silence of the open field with every gust of wind sweeping through my entangled hair. The soft blades of grass entwined around my bare feet as the dry morning soil crumbled beneath my toes. How serene and peaceful my life was here.
The farm house was idyllic; a clapboard house with large acres of land that seemed to go on forever which had the potential to hold such adventure.

I was unwelcoming to the sudden disruption that brought me reluctantly back into reality. I wiped away the crusting saliva from my cheek, as I peeled myself away from the pine wood desk; tarnished with the brown stains of coffee cup rings. I sat, invisible to the arrogant suits that walked by dismissively; with the exception of one man, Marcello Bertolini. The chipper morning hellos or tiresome goodbyes soon developed into a more complex level, as I found our conversations becoming personal. He began mentioning his cousin Rodolfo, an unpublished novelist who immigrated to America in search of the American dream; yet was belittled to a life of squander, hiding in a country which didn’t want him. Little did I know; that the well revised conversation was an introduction to his proposition. There in an office starved with excitement, it happened; I was offered an obscene amount of money to marry Rodolfo Bertonli. The dream like lifestyle I had spent many piteous hours of the day fanaticising about suddenly seemed within reach. I contemplated the risks the offer held, against the regret that would forever underlie my mundane life; if I was to refuse the offer. Here I sat, a lonely single childless woman entering my late 30’s on minimum wage; scarred with the etchings of a broken romance marked significantly across my face. What really had I to lose?
As I journeyed up the driveway towards Rodolfo’s house, around every winding bend I felt the rush of adrenaline hit me; the anticipation of meeting Rodolfo thrilled me. As I approached the white clapboard house surrounded by masses of freshly cut greenery; I inhaled deeply as the countryside aroma immediately penetrated my nostrils. I hoped he would be handsome and romantic; like the type of man you would read about in a Mills and Boon novel. How I longed to experience the romance I had read about in so many books, of a love so strong and so real it would be impossible to forget. There, like an extra incentive thrown into the deal, he stood; His skin a golden brown that was complimented by the sunlight, as his black tussled hair hung loosely outlining his masculine jaw line. Never in my life had I felt such instant attraction to someone. I fell weak at the knees, stunned by my immediate allure for him. He gave a thankful smile and sigh of relief as I approached him, releasing the worries that had held him captive in a fragile state .I stood before him, trembling, wondering if he would find me attractive.
After introducing me to Rodolfo, Marcello soon departed; the combination of my nerves and excitement was exhilarating. I felt the innocence of a young girl, as I stared down at me heels; was I trying too hard? The comments of my fathers had had a shattering effect on my self esteem. I sat down at the mahogany table, hidden in the depth of the living room as we enjoyed a delicious meal of ricotta and spinach tortellini. As we emptied the contents of the rose wine, I began to loosen up, as I slowly lost my inhibitions. We began talking of our dreams and passions, when there, in a moment of spontaneity, he kissed me. His lips soft and seductive as he slowly whispered the words thank you; I had never felt so alive! As I entered my bedroom, I laid, distracted from sleep by the bounding noise of my pacing heart; as an ecstasy of excitement filled my body. Whether it was the effects of the Wine or my disbelief over Rodolfo’s kiss, sending me into a dizzy state of dream, it didn’t matter; I welcomed all the feelings I felt right now.
As the weeks passed by my desire for him only increased; I wanted this forever. As the last of the summer sun was replaced by a deep blue evening sky; I could feel his eyes studying me. How I ached to feel the touch of a man again. As he tamed the stray locks of hair away from my face, I could feel the warmth of his breath, brushing against my skin, as he passionately began to kiss my neck; a frenzy of shivers took over my body. How I wanted him, wanted him more than anything I’d ever known. As he moved towards me pressing his muscular thighs against my trembling body; our lust for each other was undeniable. He cradled me into his world kissing me, holding me; lingering on the taste of every intense kiss. My head lay nestled in the dip of his shoulder as I inhaled his masculine scent. I engaged in one last mind thrilling kiss before leading him towards the bedroom.
It was a cold morning for August as I stood out on the porch; the world appeared so quiet and untouched by civilisation, as the fields were laced with a sparkling carpet of morning dew. I stood motionless; my mind occupied by my thoughts. I hoped he would change his mind. My father’s disappointment had echoed throughout my entire life, from becoming a stenographer to his resent towards this marriage; he had viewed my life as a series of bad choices. I slumped into the porch swing wondering if today I would walk down the aisle alone.
I arrived at the steps of the church, my heart pacing rapidly as the combination of my nerves and excitement overwhelmed me. As I walked toward him, his eyes fixated on me, drawing me towards him. It was then that I knew, as we repeated our vows; never in my life would I let him go. I had never felt so certain about something in my entire life. The violent thud ricocheted throughout the church as there in the doorway, like in some unimaginable nightmare, stood my father; accompanied by two men in uniform. The look of worry contagiously passed amongst guests faces as I felt an unbearable ache in the pit of my stomach. I fell into him, devastated as the tears began to uncontrollably fall from my eyes. My mind traumatised by disbelief as my perfect world came crashing down. Hysterical screams rebounded throughout the church as the two immigration officers and my father tried to tear me away from Rodolpho’s grasp. I collapsed onto the church steps, immobilised by the agony of my aching heart, as I watched the 1940’s Chevrolet leave the church yard. I was broken.
I arrived back at the house, drained of its once held beauty, as the harsh reality of sunlight highlighted every imperfection; destructing my dream world. I knew nothing was left for me here. I invested the money I was paid to marry Rodolfo into buying a small villa in the hillsides of Tuscany, how I desperately longed to be near to him. There, in a whole new world I sat, sipping my Rose wine in the warm Tuscan air, as I gazed out into the stretches of vineyards creating the most sensational scent. It was then, I thought of you; how you couldn’t be far.

© 2013 S.Wright


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nice story, told interestingly. I think you have done nicely, in conveying the whole setting. There may be some "technical" faults, but I am one that does not look for those, as I do the overall story telling and effect. In this case and with that view, I think you have done a very good job of it. You say that you are new to writing......I think you should keep at it. You have a natural talent !

Posted 11 Years Ago


I think it was Elmore Leonard who said, " A line must either further the plot or develop character. If it's doing none of either then throw it out."

Posted 11 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

S.Wright

11 Years Ago

I see what your saying, however I think description is key, if a reader can't visualise the setting .. read more
I really enjoyed this. You certainly know how to tell a story so don't be nervous. Just keep doing it!

Posted 11 Years Ago


S.Wright

11 Years Ago

I still need a lot of practise, but that's what I'm hoping to learn throughout reading other's writi.. read more
Really enjoyed this. You've got a knack for description, that's a fact. Besides a few random grammatical things (me/my), and the fact that you refered to Rodolfo in the third person throughout the entire story, until the last line, it's super solid.

Definitely liked it, kind of wish you had more.

Posted 11 Years Ago


S.Wright

11 Years Ago

Thanks for the review! Was really nervous about posting my work because I'm new to this! I'll fix th.. read more
AlchemicPlutonian

11 Years Ago

Haha no problem, this is the place to do it. I haven't found a community nearly as awesome to date. .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

301 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 11, 2013
Last Updated on January 12, 2013
Tags: Romance, Depression, Heartache, sadness, immigration, love, lust

Author

S.Wright
S.Wright

United Kingdom



About
My names Samantha, I'm 18 years old and hoping to learn the skills needed to become an excellent writer. I'll soon be attending university to study English and creative writing. I'm incredibly passion.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..