On debating like a pro or an idiot

On debating like a pro or an idiot

A Story by Blake Hutchison
"

Just a rant.

"
Two men stand at opposite podiums, participating in a debate about a very hot-button topic. They both have very strong views, one arguing for the thing the other is arguing against.
The person arguing for it doesn't seem to be worried about the fact that there seems to be a lot of overwhelming evidence in favor of the guy who is arguing against it. 

The guy arguing for it simply makes up for it by frequently stating his view, emphasizing "I think.." or "In MY opinion..." 

He seems to be convinced that the more he does this, the more he will convince everyone listening that he's some sort of authority.

The person arguing against it provides a compelling argument regarding how crime has gone down in places that have already trended against what the other man is arguing for people to keep doing.

That is when the man arguing for the practice calls the man arguing against it an idiot. He starts directing every profanity at him imaginable.

"Those facts can't be proven. That research is flawed. You're talking complete lunacy!" He utters all of these. " Clearly, the first man, the one arguing for the old way, is flustered. The second man, arguing against, has him right where he wants him.

Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, or even the next day, or year, someone will take note.

The man arguing against the thing the other was arguing for, wasn't after the guy he was debating. He was after the audience. And somebody was listening to him. And it made sense.

Whether you debate like an expert or an idiot, eventually those who matter will figure out whichever one you are.

© 2015 Blake Hutchison


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

82 Views
Added on September 15, 2015
Last Updated on September 15, 2015
Tags: debate, idiot, rant

Author

Blake Hutchison
Blake Hutchison

West Mansfield, OH



About
I'm working on novelizing some of my past screenplays, maybe some short stories here and there. more..

Writing