Exam Room 4

Exam Room 4

A Story by Sarah
"

A visit from my 12-year-old daughter at my place of work leads to a surprise encounter and some heart-felt revelations about our interconnectedness.

"

“I think that was Miss K*!” my 7th-grade daughter Audrey whispered excitedly to me as we walked past Exam Room 4 in the hospital where I work.


“Who’s Miss K?” I ask.


“She’s my Spanish teacher, she’s really nice,” replies Audrey.  Miss K wasn’t there on parents’ night so I haven’t met her yet, even though we’re well into the school year.


Audrey pulls my hand to walk back toward Exam Room 4, where Miss K is now opening the door very slightly and looking toward us.


“Audrey,” Miss K says, smiling and wiping away tears. Her eyes are swollen from crying; a sweet looking mixed-breed dog wags its tail happily behind her in the exam room.  As Miss K steps out into the corridor the dog attempts to follow her, its tail wagging faster than its stiffened legs can carry it. The dog is mostly black and white, clearly whitened from age, and has eyes full of the kind of unconditional love and adoration that only a well-loved dog could show.


Audrey smiles as Miss K pulls her in for a hug.   “Is your dog here?” Miss K asks.


“I work here, I’m Audrey’s mom, Sarah” I explain. We’re in a specialty and emergency animal hospital where I am the outreach coordinator, involved in community events and referring veterinarians. “The kids had the day off from school so Audrey’s here visiting me,” I tell her. “And Suzy is your bundle of love?”


Suzy is the dog in the exam room; I’d been visiting with her earlier in the day when she was receiving treatment in our Critical Care room. She stood out to me because of how loving she was with her wagging tail and eyes that shone when she looked at you.


Miss K has tears in her eyes again. “I think we’re going to have to put her down today,” she discloses  sadly. “She’s so old…” Miss K can’t continue as the emotions welled up.


I know the story; the poor sweet dog could barely walk. She’s being kept comfortable now on heavy doses of medications that had been pumped through her earlier, but her body is giving out. When the medications wear off she won’t even be able to wag her tail.


“I’m very happy to meet you, but so sorry it’s under these circumstances,” I say.


“Oh, no, it’s actually a welcome surprise,” Miss K admits, giving Audrey another squeeze on the shoulder. “Audrey is one of my favorites.”


The door to Exam Room 4 opens again and Miss K’s husband sticks his head out.


“Honey,” he says to her, “I’m sorry, but Suzy’s going crazy in there without you.” I can hear Suzy whimpering slightly, but the moment she sees her beloved Miss K her tail resumes wagging enthusiastically. With her weakened arthritic legs I wonder if the wind resistance from her tail is the only thing keeping her upright.


Miss K begins to apologize but I hush her, give her and her husband each a squeeze on the arm and tell them, “I understand.”


“Audrey, I’m really glad I saw you,” she says, giving Audrey a smile as the family disappears back into the exam room to share their final moments together.


Audrey and I continue our rounds visiting other pets in the hospital, and eventually I hear someone say to James*, a technician, “They’re ready for you in Exam Room 4.”


James is excellent at everything he does, has a demeanor of infinite patience and an enormous heart. He will reassure Miss K and her husband that they’re making the best decision as he administers the euthanizing drugs. He’ll make everything as peaceful and comforting as possible, given the circumstances. He knows that they will never truly be ready to say a final goodbye to this very special member of their family, but the inevitable can only be prolonged for so long.

Their hearts will ache from the loss, but in time, the aching sadness will be replaced with happy memories of the life they had together and all the joys that lovely Suzy brought to them throughout.

 

(* names have been changed)

© 2015 Sarah


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
JC
Very refreshing to read a real, down to earth story. The reality of life and what we all go through on a day to day is so much more profound and easier to relate to. Enjoyed this, and I feel for that dog and his owners. Been there. Great job.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

188 Views
1 Review
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 10, 2015
Last Updated on January 10, 2015
Tags: pet, animals, saying goodbye, death of a loved one, families

Author

Sarah
Sarah

Norwalk, CT



About
Sarah spends her days raising two incredibly independent and strong-minded daughters. And her nights out on her deck, overlooking the river and being generally fabulous. And she still believes in magi.. more..