The Passenger

The Passenger

A Story by SarahV
"

This is my short story I wrote when I was 14, it had to be under 650 words. It was part of a piece of work I had to complete in secondary school.

"

Sprinting through the torrential rain, I knew I was going to miss my train if I wasn't careful. Weaving my way through the inconsiderate travelers, oblivious to me being there, I’d reached the shelter of the station. Above my head the clouds collided together like grey blanket covering the sky. Something was looming in the air… but what?
Along the platform I handed my ticket to a lanky ancient looking man, he gave me a reluctant nod. Was it that hard to offer a polite smile? His wrinkled skin reminded me of my old leather hand bag. The train pulled up to the platform, a huge metal monster roaring as it screeched to a stop. Most of the seats on the train were filled up with loud obnoxious people, as I carefully squeezed myself down the aisle avoiding bumping into anyone, there were no seats free. Venturing towards the back I spotted a middle aged man with a distinctive bald head. He was dressed remarkably sophisticated compared to everyone else: pure black glossy shoes like mirrors; crisp white shirt; grey jacket bursting with perfection and a tie to top it off.
“Are these seats taken?” I asked politely, his tired looking eyes didn't even leave the paper he was reading.
“No.” He replied bluntly. Placing my bag next to me I sat down and gazed out the window. The sky growled viciously, followed by a thin streak of lightning blazing across the sky in a blink of an eye. I’d never seen such a horrendous storm in this country. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes I had to keep my calm.

My eye lids flickered and the train started to spin. The whole train was an eerie silence. I looked back outside; it was still raining cats and dogs. The bright lights on the wall started to flicker intimidatingly. Something felt really wrong. The man opposite me looked as tranquil as ever. The train was approaching the mouth of the deep dusky tunnel. Smash! All the light bulbs on the carriage began to burst like fireworks in sequence with one another.
“We are having some technical-” The speakers began to announce but got cut off. We were sat in complete darkness apart from the odd light flashed through from the tunnel. My hands shuddered beneath the table. I heard the carriage door open someone was here to help us, or so I thought. The shrieks from the passengers overwhelmed me. In front of me stood a menacing figure, his face consumed by a balaclava and a dark mystery lurked in his blue eyes. Crash! The lights in the tunnel also began to burst, leaving us in a sinister pitch black surrounding. A direful yelp caused my whole body to shudder. In front of me I could see a tiny speck of light we was almost as the end of the tunnel.

Rays of sunshine beamed down into the carriage, this should of calmed me down but my heart was still a drum because opposite me lay the bloodiest sight of all. The poor man whom shared my table was dead. Not just dead slaughtered. The rich stench of blood tingled in my nose. I let out a gut curdling shriek. The whole scene shouted rage and hate. His head lay on the table whilst warm blood trickled into my sweaty palm making me want to vomit. Passengers anxious to see the bloody scene until horror hit them in the face.
“What have you done? You monster!” a buff man yelled at me, before his face dropped in terror as if I was the one cut up. My lip trembled but rest of me was paralyzed. “Murderer!” the finger of accusation was quickly pointed at me. As the numbness began to leave my body a tightly gripped object lay in my right hand. A knife…

© 2013 SarahV


Author's Note

SarahV
Let me know what you think, remember I was 14 when I wrote this.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

love it. i love how you described it soo well, and the twist at the end. The entire time i was really getting into it, my suspense building up. it gave me a feeling i love when im i read suspenseful stories, and this is an amazing story.

Posted 9 Years Ago


This is interesting. Your concept of flow is very good and your descriptions are excellent.

Also you did a very good job on the plot how you explained things.

Posted 10 Years Ago


SarahV

10 Years Ago

Thank you it means a lot.
a good sense of timing and "dark"

Posted 10 Years Ago


SarahV

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Nix
WOW! Great writing! I can't believe a fourteen year old wrote this... good twist at the end! Are you also looking for some constructive criticism?

Posted 10 Years Ago


SarahV

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much! I'm a lot older now so hopefully my writting has improved, but yeah constructiv.. read more
I love the beginning, its very descriptive, and beautifully written.

Posted 11 Years Ago


SarahV

11 Years Ago

Thank you!
Very interesting and nice creativity.
For a 14 years old girl, this is beyond magnificent.

Posted 11 Years Ago


SarahV

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much :) I'll be posting some more recently written work over easter hopefully :)
Well I was ready for more story. I love it! It was a GREAT story.
-Keep Writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


Kylie Christine Smith

11 Years Ago

Yes. It would be amazing. I would love to read it. (:
SarahV

11 Years Ago

Yeah I'll give it go after Easter, when I have finished working on my monologue. You might like what.. read more
Kylie Christine Smith

11 Years Ago

I probably would (:
It is an unimaginable and unbelievable story so long the knife is in your hand.
I wonder the murderer might be anybody else or it was just a nightmare in the context of the smash resulting to darkness.
Very good description.
I am impressed by the amazing details.

Posted 11 Years Ago


SarahV

11 Years Ago

Thanks so much I appreciate any comments! :)
zainul

11 Years Ago

You are always welcome :)
Interesting story, with a good plot, like the description and that feeling of mystery great job.

Posted 11 Years Ago


SarahV

11 Years Ago

Thanks very much :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2072 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on January 16, 2013
Last Updated on January 16, 2013
Tags: short story, thriller

Author

SarahV
SarahV

United Kingdom



About
I'm an aspiring writer whose thoughts are literally all over the place! I am interested in creative writing and hope to become more experienced in it. I'm 17 years of age and I'm currently studying A.. more..

Writing
Dressed In Red Dressed In Red

A Stage Play by SarahV


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by SarahV