Dressed In Red

Dressed In Red

A Stage Play by SarahV
"

This is a monologue I wrote a couple of months ago. It's one teenage girl's gruesome confession.

"

Dressed In Red

Based in America, 16 year old Bethany is sat at the edge of her bed. A typical teenager’s room: clothes, make up and books fill the room.

I’m glad I’ve done it.

Pause

She deserved it!

Pause

No one understands how much she irritated me. No, no one could even begin to understand. “Bethany the big nosed b***h!” she’d repeat. Over and over and over again. So no one should blame me for what I’ve done, it was only the rational thing to do. I’m not, nor was I ever insane.

Pause

But it wasn’t always like that. Believe it or not, Charlotte and I were once quite close.

We’d grab a cab after practice and go shopping at the local mall. Visit our favourite designer shops, trying on ball gowns, giddy with excitement about Homecoming. I remember now, just a year ago I tried on that red dress, “Red isn’t your colour, honey. Try this blue one” she said, “Well I like this one a lot actually”, I said, “Bethany, I’m doing you a favour hun, can’t you see? I’m saving you from the embarrassment of public humiliation, trust me you’ll look beautiful in blue,” she said, “Oh ok” I said. I trusted her words like they were written in the Bible. I mean who didn’t listen to Charlotte? Obviously I could never afford a dress like that. Charlotte could. Of course she could.


Pause


It was only a few days later I saw her with my own green eyes handing the very same red dress to the cashier. The cow!

Well she definitely wore red in the end, I can tell you that.


Bethany laughs hysterically.

Fade

Bethany sat on her bedroom floor against her wall. Knees drawn in and hands shamefully holding her head.

Years of my life I spent trapped. But I was a trapped animal waiting to pounce. There is only so much a gal can take before she changes into something invincible, something untouchable, something powerful…

Charlotte could break anyone she wanted. Everyone grovelled at her feet, even me.  And that’s when she would take control of you, a skilful puppet master with a thousand strings to pull. I subconsciously let her manipulate me.  “Carry my bag Beth I’m no way as strong as you” or “Be a sweet heart and buy me lunch” she’d say and off I’d obediently go.  Ugh the shame of it!

If you become one of Charlotte’s minions there was no escape, either service her every need and you’ll be rewarded with popularity or refuse and watch your life turn into a living nightmare. I couldn’t take it anymore so I did the right thing and simply said “No”. That one word was an act of social suicide.


Pause


I then became the target for abuse by Charlotte and other Charlotte wannabes. Before I had time to blink, rumours started to spread “Bethany has chlamydia, the skank.” or “She’s covered in head lice” everyone believed it was true. People like to believe the worst in you for their own personal amusement.                                                                                                                   A tear drops from Bethany’s eye.

Shortly after the rumours I found Charlotte making out with my boyfriend behind the bleachers. Ouch.  

Worse events followed, only to feed Charlotte’s sick sense of humour. Like the time after practice in the changing room showers. I looked up to find my towel was missing from the top of the cubicle. Peering round the door I found my bag and clothes were also missing. Before I had time to make it to the pile of the towels at the other side of the room a class wandered in to find me: exposed. An echo of laughter filled the room. Charlottes was the loudest laugh of all.

There was nothing left to take, my dignity was long gone. I had to take something of hers; I’d be insane if I didn’t!

Fade

Bethany holding a teddy bear stood looking out the window.

She had to be stopped. I was ready to end the war.

It wasn’t hard to plan; I’d spent years being dragged along by her so I knew her routines inside out. Every Thursday night Charlotte would walk home from her boyfriend’s house to get home for 10:30 PM prompt. It was perfect, the moment she took the short cut down the alley I’d strike.

Charlotte was oblivious to me behind her. Little did she know but I was holding the knife that would take her life. I wasn’t stupid. Insane people are stupid. I wasn’t going to follow movie conventions and give the b***h time to escape by explaining what I was about to do. Stealthily " oh so stealthily I snuck up behind her whilst my hand covered her mouth. Slice. No questions just a clean cut to the neck.  Glorious warm blood oozed between my fingers weaving its way up my arm. Ha! There she lay defeated in my victorious hands.

 Charlotte was right. Red really did suit her.

Bethany’s body starts to shake as she smiles.

People always say that killing is hard and not a lot of people have the potential to do it. Well that’s ridiculous. Killing is the easiest thing I’ve ever done. You feel like a God.

They made my life a nightmare but now I’m something that will give them nightmares.


Laughs

Her frozen face was a pictured image I’d happily hang on my wall. I’ve never seen anyone so terrified and to be the person inflicting that, well it gave me an immense satisfaction. I took a few moments to admire my work like a true artist. Within seconds the light had left her body and her soul was left to rot eternally in hell. I was set free, so was everyone else. Who would have thought me, a hero!


She claps

This happened last night and I’ve still got such a buzz. Killing is the kick I’ve needed all my life. I’m not insane, I did everyone a favour, got rid of a pain to society. Think of it as taking out the trash. See it’s not a bad thing. It was a good deed.

I’ve already heard it on the news this morning “High School Girl Brutally Murdered” it said. I know they’ll search for the killer. But why would anyone suspect me? I was only one of the thousand victims which Charlotte tortured.

If they do however find out it was me then there’s no need to worry, Bethany, you’ll be ready, just like you were for Charlotte… 

 



 

© 2014 SarahV


Author's Note

SarahV
Let me know what you think, thanks!
Also for my film project I turned my monologue into a screenplay then eventually got it filmed. Please watch it and check out my adapted story, it means a lot! Thank you.


My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Reviews

I liked it. Its important for each generation to have its own voice. For someone so young to have presented something like this is impressive. Believe in yourself and know that you have a future in the business. You should be proud of what you have accomplished. Bravo!

Posted 10 Years Ago


SarahV

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much! This is my first time filming and editing so hopefully with practise I will get b.. read more
Love your film.
It has nicely presented your story.

Posted 10 Years Ago


SarahV

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much! It means a lot!
zainul

10 Years Ago

You are always welcome!
Very nice. The story was actually pleasant to read along with the disturbing hysteria that is slowly building. You're a great writer. Bravo

Posted 10 Years Ago


SarahV

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much, it means a lot
Powerful piece of write, the way you build up her pain and her crazy road...great job

Posted 10 Years Ago


SarahV

10 Years Ago

Thanks :)
Wonderful write.
Enjoyed reading.

Posted 10 Years Ago


SarahV

10 Years Ago

Thank you!
zainul

10 Years Ago

You are most welcome!
Wow that was really good. You really could feel her pain throughout this whole thing. The build up was awesome right down to the end when she killed her. I could see this as a play or maybe even like a movie somewhere. The intensity of this pulled you right in at first you really felt sorry for Bethany and then she just goes and decides to "take care of her problem". You did an amazing job on this! I hope there is more to come maybe other ones or maybe even one more of this one. It would be cool to see if they do find her and if they do does she go insane like she says she didn't! the possibilities are endless! Okay I have rambled on enough! Great write and I hope to see more!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


SarahV

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much! I'll be sure to write more when I get the time :)
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
MandaBear

10 Years Ago

I really liked the video very much!!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

346 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on June 4, 2013
Last Updated on February 14, 2014
Tags: thriller, horror, killer, confession, gore, psycological

Author

SarahV
SarahV

United Kingdom



About
I'm an aspiring writer whose thoughts are literally all over the place! I am interested in creative writing and hope to become more experienced in it. I'm 17 years of age and I'm currently studying A.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by SarahV


Untitled Untitled

A Poem by SarahV