the glass window

the glass window

A Story by Savannah

I remember the sweet smell of all the different foods; the bagels and donuts, pretzels and coffee. To anyone else, it was just another day. Maybe a business trip to Connecticut with a cup of caramel coffee or a vacation to California with a powdered donut and tangy orange juice. For me, it was a trip back home with the biggest bagel I’ve ever had.

I sat down with my sister, holding a bag with my warm plain bagel in it. We chose a small table in the back, far away from all the bustling travelers. I ate my bagel, checking the time every minute so that we wouldn’t miss our last plane. I remember feeling so independent because I pretty much had to do everything for myself. If I wanted to, I didn’t have to board the plane. I didn’t have to go back home, I could just run away with my bagel and carry-on luggage and end up somewhere unknown. I was in charge of my life for once, but I knew I had to board the plane, go back home and deal with what I was avoiding all summer.

I bit into the bagel that tasted so warm, like home and I think it was because I was sincerely savoring every bite I took. I knew this was the last time I could sit down and feel somewhat normal. In less than a day, I’d be back home after 2 months. So much could have changed.

We got on the plane like we were supposed to, found our seats, and simply fell asleep.

As fast as it all began, it ended. We boarded off the plane, searching for the nearest bathroom.

Staring at myself in the mirror, I wasn’t sure how much I really changed. Deep down inside, something had changed. Like a caterpillar forming into a butterfly, my personality went through metamorphous. Whether I changed for the better or for worse, it was time. It was time to walk down to the glass window which separated me from what I came back for. The two people who have been by my side through everything.

I remember walking down the twisting hallways full of people traveling with suitcases; oversized, petite, polka-dotted or striped, all the suitcases were ready to be taken somewhere. They could be flying away from somewhere, or to somewhere.

It wasn’t until I saw my mom and brother behind the big glass window that I realized how happy I was to be home. It didn’t matter that we would soon be told that we weren’t living with our mom anymore, but instead our dad. Not knowing what I was running towards, I ran through the doors, past the only thing between my family and me; the big glass window. 

© 2012 Savannah


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

What a relatable story! I recommend spending more time and focus on some of the actions in the story. It will help slow down the pace of the story and really build the anticipation one feels when wanting to return home.

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

106 Views
1 Review
Added on January 6, 2012
Last Updated on January 6, 2012