Untitled

Untitled

A Story by savdbylove
"

New story I'm starting. Yes I want everything! Reviews, comments, feedback!!!

"

"Rebecca!  Rebecca Lynn!  Where are you?"
    Heads turned as my mother ran through the store calling my name.  Fingers pointed and voices whispered that she must not be a good parent for losing me like that.  That was the day the sales associate brought me to my mother, pacing in Customer Service.  That was the day my mother would fall in love for the first time.  That was the day that would change the rest of my life.
    I was only six at the time.  Sure, I knew at that age not to go running off on my own in stores, but to me, it was an adventure, and any adventure was worth it.  Especially if it helped my mother over her debilitating fear of all men.  You see, my father raped my mother when she was sixteen.  When she found out she was pregnant with me, her parents made her marry her rapist, my dead-beat dad.  After four years of abuse and more rape, my mother turned him in to the authorities and divorced him.  A move from Milwaukee, Wisconsin to New York City and almost two years later, she was over her fear.
    As for me?  I liked the sales associate.  He played adventure with me as he led me to my mom.  And when he introduced himself as "Pirate Bob", my mother actually smiled.
    As we walked the two blocks from the store to our little apartment, I glanced up at my mom.  She had a goofy smile on her face.  I tugged on her hand.  "Mommy?"
    She looked down at me.  "Yes, honey?"
    "I'm sorry I ran off at the store," I said.    
    "It's okay, Rebecca.  I'm not mad."
    I smiled to myself.  "Mommy?" I asked.
    "Yes, honey?"
    "Are you going to marry Pirate Bob?"
    My mother stopped walking and looked at me again.  "Why would you ask that honey?"
    I shrugged.  "I dunno.  'Cause you smiled at him, and you never smile at anybody but me and the neighbor lady."
    My mother sighed.  "Rebecca, honey, I just met him today.  You don't marry someone after meeting them only once.  I would like to see him again, though, but only if it's alright with you."
    I nodded.  "Can I see him again, too?  He was fun!  We played pirates walking through the store to you, Mommy!"
    My mother laughed.  "Yes, honey.  You can see him again, too.  We'll both see him again."
    With that off my mind, we continued the walk home.  When we got there, there was a note on the door.  My mother took it off and read it.  Slowly, her smile disappeared.
    "What is it, Mommy?"
    She shook her head.  "Your father is out of jail and wants to see you, baby."
    I shook my head.  "Uh-uh.  I don't wanna see him.  I don't like him."
    "I know.  I'll make sure he doesn't come near us."
    There was a message from my mother's attorney on the machine when we got inside.  She pushed the play button.
    "Mrs. Stanford, this is Eliza Beckworth calling.  I need you to call me when you get this as we have some issues to discuss what with your ex-husband now out of jail.  You have my number.  Have a good evening."
    My mother sighed.  "Rebecca, honey, please go to your room and play for a while.  I need to make a call and then I'll get supper started."  Then she picked up the phone.
    I never did find out what they talked about, but I do know that every effort my father made to contact or see me was thwarted.  My mother finally got a restraining order against him, which he walked through, and was put back in jail.

    Two weeks after my father was back where he belonged, my mother finally went out with the sales associate, my Pirate Bob. 

© 2008 savdbylove


Author's Note

savdbylove
anything and everything. it's not the best, i know, but i wanted to start something else since i seem to have hit a temporary dead end with ember black..lol

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

It is really good. I dont know what else to say. I do like it alot. Only thing I see wrong is that it needs a title. What I do not know. something that deals with a little girl.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

191 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 15, 2008
Last Updated on September 15, 2008

Author

savdbylove
savdbylove

Crawfordsville, IN



About
Still 5'2", my kids are growing up a lil (12 and 10 now). Out of practice on writing, and that degree I was working on has been put on hold yet again. Other than that, I'm still the same old me. An.. more..

Writing
Who I am Who I am

A Poem by savdbylove