There's no riding the fence any longer!

There's no riding the fence any longer!

A Poem by LSS
"

I have to thank Barbara Walker for her fine poem, 'Moving through Mud' for inspiring me to dig again and write. As with most writing things change, evolve, grow, morph into something else.

"
Previous Version
This is a previous version of There's no riding the fence any longer!.



Tough to get old and have to be on the road so much. I loved your poem's easy way of carrying such heavy burdens there. I see my wife traveling down that old road, with so many others stumbling along there too, surrounded by that heavy crowd of onlookers, helplessly gaping from over the fences. As you say, how is it possible we once all skipped along there, not seeing those gentle, torn souls obstructing our merry path's. What a riot, as the years flew by, and we learned to pick up speed and taunt each other with, "Catch me!" Nothing the gradual rises and drops in the path, even the occasional steeper grades that were made for young feet. So how did we come to be like those on both sides of the fence; either in the thick of it, seeming to have wicked away from our younger companions all their bumps and bruises, or we are frozen in our place, observing, helpless, weakened from our own attempts on that thankless thoroughfare. You probably recall, we've met several times before, once you helped me up from a particularly bad fall. And on another day we came upon a large group of fellow travelers who couldn't seem to make it any further. I watched your tireless efforts. You inspire me, you inspire us all. I thank you for writing and encouraging me to keep on the path, reminding me that we may meet again.

© 2013 LSS


Author's Note

LSS
I have been reading Robert Frost. I cannot claim to shadow him, only learn. This poem changed as I wrote. I found someone else on the path with me!



Reviews

Thank you, Larry! Oh your words are so true! I look in the mirror and say, "Who IS that?" and "What the hell happened?" Sometimes life turns out so far from what one envisioned!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

20 Views
1 Review
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 17, 2013
Last Updated on April 17, 2013

Author

LSS
LSS

Syracuse, NY



About
Some time ago, I decided to write a humorous short story to give my wife on our 25th anniversary. The words and illustrations seemed to flow from my memory and imagination, about those early days w.. more..

Writing
Who Am I? Who Am I?

A Poem by LSS