Writer's Wednesday 30: Dream

Writer's Wednesday 30: Dream

A Story by Sarah J Dhue
"

On my blog, I do an 'event' called Writer Wednesdays. I post a prompt and others(including me) write something based on that prompt.

"

     Christmas lights in the sky.  That is what they looked like.  I would have never thought something that resembled the vibrant yet calming light of holiday cheer could evoke such horror in a person.  I was wrong.

     It was not until after my father and I visited the out-of-the-way “produce ‘n’ everything” store that we found out why all of the locals had been giving us odd looks while we shopped; unwelcoming scowls or sheepish glances.  Given me and my father’s interests, it was actually amazing that we did not stumble across the fact that it was a UFO hot spot before we decided to stop in for a bit of shopping.

     But back to the Christmas lights in the sky.  At first, I had thought that it was a reflection in the window, from a light inside.  That was, until every cat in the neighborhood gathered to look at the lights, staring up at them with undivided attention.  It was unsettling and eerie, seeing them all gather and stare up at the sky like that.  Eventually, the lights seemed to go out, one colored bulb at a time and the cats dispersed.

     That evening stuck with me and I began trying to find anything I could about Christmas light UFOs or aliens controlling cats’ minds.  Aside from similar sightings near the shop, there wasn’t much.  It was a warm summer day on the patio in my backyard sipping pink lemonade that I found something.  A group of boys in Jamaica, ages fourteen to sixteen, had been found after having been missing for months.  They claimed that stray cats had abducted them, grabbing them and launching them up into the sky onto spaceships, where they were tested on and eventually returned to Earth.  Many of their friends and family were skeptical, but the producer of the documentary thought there could be some truth to the boys’ claims.  They seemed genuinely afraid and confused in the interviews.  Even in the 90+ degree weather, it sent a chill down my spine.

     Cats.  No dogs had barked or gathered to look at the lights outside my house.  Only cats.

 

The dream had no real ending:  As I walked around the front of my house to get more lemonade, a neighborhood cat ran at me and grabbed me around the waist, launching us both up into the sky.  I tried to scream, but could not.  The cat looked upward and I tried to talk to it, as it had been my friend.  When I turned it to face me, its eyes elongated so that it looked very much like an alien and then I woke up.

© 2016 Sarah J Dhue


Author's Note

Sarah J Dhue
This is actually based on a real dream I had.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

238 Views
Added on March 30, 2016
Last Updated on March 30, 2016
Tags: Sarah J Dhue, Dhue, writer, Wednesday, prompt, 30, alien, dream, cat, UFO, abduction, pink lemonade, Jamaica

Author

Sarah J Dhue
Sarah J Dhue

In the author's lair, IL



About
I am Sarah J Dhue. I am an author, as well as a photographer & graphic designer, currently going to school for web design. I've been writing since I was in elementary school. I live in Illinois. My f.. more..

Writing