April Showers

April Showers

A Story by Sarah J Dhue
"

Two men meet to have a drink at a country club.

"
"Awful weather we're having," Cedric Evers said, staring into his fizzy gin, then turning to the window.  "Terribly drab."  The sky was filled with billowing grey clouds, the golf course stretched out beneath flooded with puddles.
"You know what they say: April showers bring May flowers," said the man sitting across from him.  "Imagine what the meadow's flowers will look like in a couple weeks."
"A couple weeks..." Cedric's voice trailed off as the rain picked up, pitter-pattering against the window.
"You wanted to go when it was sunny?  Feel like a cliche?"
Cedric gritted his teeth, his jaw tightening.  "Can I get you something to drink?"
"Oh no, the citrus lime punch is superb.  I can see why this is your typical haunt."
"Could you not use words like 'haunt'?  I abhor talk of ghosts," Cedric snapped.
"Ironic," his companion chuckled.  "How much longer do you plan for us to dally here?"
"Until I finish my gin."
"Take your time.  We've got all day."
Cedric continued to stare at the rain.  "Miserable..." he growled, downing his gin in one gulp.  "On second thought, let's go."
"Splendid."  His companion picked up his hat and offered Cedric his arm.



"Mr. Evers?  Mr Evers?"  The waiter shook Cedric; his eyes stared blankly out the window at the rain, his gaze distant.  "Bill!  Bill!  Get over here!  I think Mr. Evers passed away right here in the club!"  The waiter shouted to his manager.

© 2017 Sarah J Dhue


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

195 Views
Added on April 21, 2017
Last Updated on April 21, 2017
Tags: Sarah J Dhue, Dhue, story, drink, country club, club, April, showers, April showers, May flowers, death

Author

Sarah J Dhue
Sarah J Dhue

In the author's lair, IL



About
I am Sarah J Dhue. I am an author, as well as a photographer & graphic designer, currently going to school for web design. I've been writing since I was in elementary school. I live in Illinois. My f.. more..

Writing