Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Scott Cockwell
"

An introduction to a story full of action and a compelling story arc

"

Long ago, there were two regions. Perduco and Canistota. Although the memory of these regions have died, they were the homes to the first generation of four great races, three-hundred years ago.  
Perduco was home to the Charmers, commanders the sea and all things water; and the Wielders, controllers of electricity and lightning. Canistota was home to the Bearers, lords of the flame itself; and the Shifters, masters of altering the body.  
Some people had been born without abilities, and some people that did have abilities never felt the need to learn how to use them. But there were four leaders, one to represent each race, who could fully utilise their abilities.  
A problem had arisen for these two enchanting lands; the population was overflowing, growing too large, and too quickly. If more people arrived, or if any more children were born, they would have had to tear down their walls to build new homes; a system the leaders did not want to repeatedly fall into. Children and mothers were being forced to live in slums or back alleys, any shelter they could find; fathers were either working for next to nothing, or on the street begging, looking for a way out. 
Each leader from each race had decided to gather. Admiral Charmer, Cari; Emperor Bearer, Hadin; General Wielder, Shango; and Counselman Shifter, Isador; and they took it upon themselves to seek out a new area of land that would be large enough to sustain two of the four races.  
Their first decision was who would stay in Perduco and Canistota. They elected that the Wielders stay in Perduco, and the Shifters stay in Canistota because of the sheer population of both of the races. Although The General and The Counselman got to stay, all four of the Leaders travelled together to find a new home for the Bearers and Charmers.  
They travelled for days, miles, slowly losing hope of finding a new home. They had to hike through thick forests, swim against the hardest currents, and clamber the steepest mountains. Even though the leaders had their abilities, they chose to only use them when absolutely necessary.Being the first generation to have these abilities, they couldn’t use them easily.   
They achingly reached the peak of the dividing mountain, Crynos Mountain, and at that point, they were greeted by salvation, a new beginning, and endless possibilities towards a great future. What they saw was a vast land of green's and brown's that was so wide that it appeared to go on forever, it was bare but the sky was clear. As blue as sapphire. The sun hung in the middle of the sky, its rays caressing all it touched.  
With a new found energy, the four climbed down the mountain. They raced with bright eyes to inspect the new land. Their new land. It took them hours to reach the centre of the barren wasteland that the Bearers and the Charmers would call home. The Leaders found no signs of life, but also nothing to hinder the growth of life.  
Emperor Hadin was known for his sense of danger and people would say that his senses were never wrong. He had a rare ability to sense when fire or lava was near, and when he felt it this time, he couldn’t see a source anywhere, until he focused in on where he was sensing this from allowing him to realise that it was coming from below them 
 
The ground quaked and trembled below them. All of the leaders instantly knew danger was on the horizon. The land split in two allowing heat and steam to blast through the crack, then there was silence. The leaders were confused, the sound of debris breaking off and falling into the newly formed chasm was all that broke the silence before slowly edging towards the crack too see what had- 
A gargling roar bellowed from inside the crack, shaking the earth around them. The Leaders jumped back as a giant, boulder-like hand gripped the edge of this newly split land, dragging itself up. A golem stood in front of the four, it was enormous, its eyes gleamed a deep red at each of them, and lava coursed through the beast’s body as if they were thick veins.  
They had no idea what the golem’s purpose was, but were soon enlightened. It lifted its giantrocky hand slowly which blotted out the sun, casting a shadow over the four who stood in awe of its size. If this was going to be a fight, they knew that it wasn’t going to be easy. 
Shango, CariHadin, and Isador stood in their preferred stances to anticipate the worst, and as they suspected, the golem gave a fierce roar and threw its heavy arm at the ground. It shook and unbalanced them. 
“Quickly! Before it moves again!” Hadin ordered. He conjured a fireball from his hand and flung it beneath the golem’s ribcage. It had little effect against the hardened exterior. Hadin continued, strafing across the battlefield. 
“It must be resistant! Let me and Shango handle this!” Cari shouted over the sounds of fire hurling across the battlefield, smashing against the rocky body of the golem. 
It swung its arms up giving it enough momentum to lift it's leg to give another violent, earth shattering stomp. Rocky shrapnel and boulders hurtled towards the leaders, Hadin in particular. 
“I’ve got this brother!” Isador sprinted towards Hadin to intercept a hefty rock hurtling towards Hadin. He found that he wasn’t going to be able to reach it in time, and with that thought in mind, an arm burst out from Isador's hand and protected Hadin from the debris hurtling his way. Hadin looked at Isador and let out a grateful sigh, Isador returned a smug wink. 
Cari, Get ready!” General Shango exclaimed while pointing his palms towards the sky; clouds gathered and the battlefield became dark. The air was thick and the sky rumbled and roared menacingly. The golem had stopped to analyse the sudden change. It had sensed it was in danger and had decided to charge at Shango. 
It's sprint caused the four to lose balance. Noticing its chance, the golem hurled a ball of lava from its boulder-like hands at the group. Hadin ran straight towards the ball with all of his will. He confronted it, the force of the throw pushed him back, but Hadin was able to absorb the heat until there was nothing left of the ball.  
Shango cast his hands to the ground in the direction of the golem. A tremendous bolt of lightning came hurtling from the sky, shattering the golem’s shoulder. The golem let out an unnatural moan that echoed throughout the vast and empty valley as it fell to its knees, shaking the ground, only being able to hold itself up with its remaining arm.  
Cari held a determined look and knew what to do next. She blew her blonde hair out of her face, ran in front of Shango, and began summoning water from the large gourd on her back, using her hands.   
She spun her arms in the air until she had gathered enough water and proceeded to run. She hopped and landed with her left leg outstretched in front of her and both arms stretched back on her right side. She threw her hands towards the golem’s shoulder. The water caused the heat in its shoulder caused by Shango’s lightning bolt to painfully sizzle. The golem cried out again, as it completely collapsed and rolled onto its back to regain strength. 
“Shango!” Cari called. “Let’s finish this!” 
By the time Cari had looked at Shango, he was already conjuring the next bolt of lightningCari regained focus and gathered the remainder of her water supply and directed it above the dazed golem.  
She ceased control of the water allowing it to drench the golem and as it landed, Shango’s bolt connected with the golem, shocking it to its core. 
The golem was shaking from the electricity coursing through its body. Its roar was deep and deafening. The strain from the shock was too much for the golem suddenly, its body gave way causing rocky flesh to launch in every direction. 

 

The land fell silent once again. The four caught their breath, checking for injuries. Standing tall, they examined the newly formed battlefield. One half of the land was untouched by the fight, was as the other was littered with small craters and scorch marks.  
“Before you get a chance to say, Hadin. This is your half.” Nominated Cari, waving her hand over the recent destruction. 
Hadin hadn’t the energy to argue, instead he let out a sigh and a nod to accept it. 

*** 


“And that’s the story of how the four factions are all where they are today, and as they have been for the last three-hundred years.  
"The Bearers named their half of the land Pyrox and the Charmers named their half Madidus. 
"Giving the Wielders and ourselves the opportunity to rename our own lands. 
"Under the Wielders, Perduco became Fulgar, and as you know, we are Transistus.” Dukin Stinster explained while ruffling his little brother, Tancer’s thick brown hair. 
“Now come on, we’ve got some training to do!”  

 



© 2016 Scott Cockwell


Author's Note

Scott Cockwell
I'm new to this so any feedback would be great!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

112 Views
Added on April 6, 2016
Last Updated on April 6, 2016
Tags: fantasy, medieval, elementium, fire, water, shape, shapeshift, lightning, golem, fight, fights, discovery


Author

Scott Cockwell
Scott Cockwell

Swansea, United Kingdom



About
I haven't read much in my life, but that's because I haven't found the one book that pops out at me, so I decided to write the book that pops out at me in hope that it will do the same for others. more..

Writing